Underrated shredder thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underrated shredder thread.

Don't know if this has been done, but I wanted to do this to expand my knowledge base with regards to axe wielders of yore that never got the recognition or gained the popularity they should have.

Posting a link to a vid would be cool. Also modern day shredders are welcome too. Here's my contribution;

Mike Angelo Batio.
    Can't remember the name of the hair metal band he was in, but they sure sucked. He didn't though.

I remember listening to him on a compilation album, {Which I still have.} US Metal, and being totally blown away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFI7lsxUjc

Enjoy!
    G.

it was nitro and his solos were utterly tuneless. He's done one good song and even that is a paganini rip off in places. Jason becker should be more famous bless him. Tbh anyone who gets less exposure than vai and satch probably deserves more. Tony macalpine for example

Comment

You mean underrated by the public or by people like us? Pretty much anyone who's any good is known by most of this forum.

Comment

I was always a big fan of Ron Jarzombek. Here he is with Blotted Science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfummR3Uy6I
        www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

Blotted science is amazing!
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
            it was nitro and his solos were utterly tuneless. He's done one good song and even that is a paganini rip off in places. Jason becker should be more famous bless him. Tbh anyone who gets less exposure than vai and satch probably deserves more. Tony macalpine for example
            Nitro. Yeah, that was it. Thanks.

It seems that the more technically gifted a player is, the more crappy a songwriter they are. Artist are what they are.

Neil Young is a great songwriter, but his guitar leads grate on me. However, you know it's him right away, don't you.

On the other side, the Steve Vai's and Mike Batio's of the world can't write a catchy tune even if their life depended on it, but they sure can SHRED like no tomorrow!

It's unfortunate that some players, who made their notoriety in the 80's "lemme show you what I can do" hair metal days, get caught up in the showmanship aspect of things. You know deep down there is real soul within. Why else would they be so dedicated to their guitar playing. 'Cuz they love music!

Might be opening a can of worms with regards to all the different tastes and opinions in this forum, but obviously, I'd like you to bring it on!

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
            You mean underrated by the public or by people like us? Pretty much anyone who's any good is known by most of this forum.
            General populous. Of course most of these players would be known in this forum. That's a given.
            G.

Comment

Nitro sucked but I LOVE their cover of Cat Scratch Fever. It's a guilty pleasure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6fZ7FJ9EpGE

Comment

Then I say Vinnie Moore. The guy has plenty of great songs and can shred.

Comment

most underated shredder? ME!

frank marino is the most underatd i can think of
                  he was rippin it up in the ealry 70's
                  If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
                    Nitro sucked but I LOVE their cover of Cat Scratch Fever. It's a guilty pleasure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6fZ7FJ9EpGE
                    OMG that was terrible

Comment

for me it's Shawn Lane . sad he died sow young
                      "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                        OMG that was terrible
                        Says you...

Comment

Michael Angelo Batio is laughable.

Guthrie Govan
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Guthrie Govan is great !!

Reb Beach is underrated in my opinion.

Comment

I don't know about "shredders" but I've always thought Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson were underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYXz9eOE45Q
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X