My Latest Accomplishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Latest Accomplishment

First off, I have been a gun enthusiast since I turned old enough to buy my first handgun, a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup .45 acp, which I still have. I also own a few Glocks, a Desert Eagle .44 mag a Single Action Army, and a couple others.I enjoy shooting and go any chance I get.

Now, 6 1/2 years ago when I was going thru the academy, my favorite part was handgun/rifle/shotgun qualification. Ever since then, I wanted to be a firearms instructor.

Fast forward to April of this year. My training lieutennant knew I wanted to do this and in April he informed me that the department was putting thru an instructor class at the Fort Dix range in May and he wanted me to attend it. I knew the class was tough. Most people were washing out on the first day in the past because you have to fire 3 consecutive 60 round courses and qualify with an average score of 95%. This had me worried a bit as I absolutely hate our H&K USP 40 DAO department pistols. I never got along with that damn gun. Well, I boned up on my skillz for about a week and went in hoping for the best. In the first course, I fucked up right out of the gate and fired a round after the whistle. The instructor behind me removed the magazine from my pistol, told me he should throw me off the range for a safety violation, and took a round from me. NOW I was nervous. I already could see I missed 2 and he took one and now I am 3 down.

The other 2 firings went well though, so the initial qualification was over so I got to stay...............for now. The rest of the week was filled with classroom stuff and a lot of shooting. Then we had to do night fire. The instructors don't do that simulated night fire. Noooo....we waited until 9pm when it was pitch black out. The night fire course is 40 rounds and starts at the 15 yard line. Sure, you get a flashlight to use from the 15, 10 and 7 yard line. At the 5 yard line you get the flashlight for strong hand shooting, but nothing but darkness and muzzle flash for week hand shooting. Oh crap. But long story short, amazingly enough, I qualified 100% on the night fire.

The rifle and shotgun qual were cake. We also did a lot of tactical shooting and some other fun shooting.

I had to give a quick 5 minute class on trigger control. That went well. Other classmates said I sounded like a mafioso during my presentation. "Hey, you don't want to anticipate the shot because instead of hitting the target you just killed Mr. Caterpillar who was out for a stroll on the one yard line.":ROTF:

I learned a lot at that class and my department has another proud firearms instructor. Just thought I'd share.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

It's cool to hear stories like this where someone's hobby or passion becomes their livelihood. Congratulations on your accomplishment it sounds like it was far from easy.

Comment

+1.
      Excellent, sir!

Comment

I would love to add more to my gun collection too but somehow I picked all the expensive hobbies. Guitars, guns, cars, and photography. Congrats on your qualifying.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Thanks fellas. Let me just add that I was already qualified on our department weapons. We go every year for that. Our normal handgun qual is 50 rounds and you have to score 80%. Now that I have successfully completed the instructor course which is held to a higher standard I can work at the range while other officers are shooting their yearly qual.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

congrats dude, that rocks!!!

Comment

I bet your wife is glad you finally mastered "trigger control."
              "POOP"

Comment

Congrats!! That's great news.

Comment

Stuka-

That's fantastic. I'm an enthusiast as well. Your first pistol was a Gold Cup? I was laughing at that, you must have been saving from the ol' paper route for a loooonnnggg time for that one, and then I remembered MY first pistol was a Kimber Target Stainless in .45....so yeah, same boat! Buy nice or buy twice, for both guitars & guns!

Great job on your certification. It's hard enough to shoot well in a well-lit range, standing stock still, strong hand. I don't think people realize just how hard it is to put steel on target once you start moving & get out of your "comfort stance".

I guess you get to rock the Police range. I used to be a member up at Cherry Ridge but let it lapse a few years ago- Just didn't have the time. Now I have to sit through the damn safety class again if I want to join back up. There used to be a few places to shoot up here near NYC but now, not so much. Really need to find a new range.

Hardest part is as much as I enjoy the pistol, I really like the long arms, and ranges in the Jerz that can handle them are few and far between (AR-15, NO BAYO LUG I AM LEGAL OFFICER/10 RD MAGS!) M-1, etc.

Vass

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                    at the Fort Dix range

Uh huh huh huh, is that anywhere near Fort Knutz?

Congrats Stuka, I bet you thought it was all over when you shot your load early on the first day, well done for keeping your cool and passing.

(Incidentally, I tend to think about fishing and keep breathing regularly when I'm approaching Billy Mill roundabout a bit too quickly. Once I've gone off the boil slightly and I'm under control again, I can bang away for hours.)
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Congrats.

Can I ask is the the USP you hate or the DAO, cause I have a few HKs myself and love them. I actually prefer the LEM trigger, took some time to get used to(kept shooting low), but once I did, I love it.

USP SS 9mm
                      USP .45
                      P2000 .40 LEM trigger
                      Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Congrats! That's awesome and very impressive on the night shooting!

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
                          Congrats.

Can I ask is the the USP you hate or the DAO
                          Thanks. I learned on a single action so I feel more at home on that. Our old weapon was the S&W 4046 DAO. I grew to like that gun, though most officers hated it. Then we switched to the H&K. It has a much different feel to the trigger in regards to the way it fits on my finger and the trigger pull feels different as well. The other thing I don't like about it is the pointy checkering on the front and back of the grip. If I owned one I would sand that shit down a bit.

We all were hoping the department would pick Glock instead, but NOOOOOO.:ROTF: My Glock 22 fits my hand like a glove and shoots like a dream...to me anyway.
                          Scott

Comment

Congrats!!!
                            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Congrats indeed.

I shoot too, although compound bows are my thang.
                              I've have a hand gun,
                              12 gauge shotgun,
                              22 rifle,
                              winchester rifle ,
                              a compound pearson bow.
                              Knives out the gazoo.

Esp Lynch Kami, 2x12 Genz Benz,
                              Peavey acoustic,
                              Red Peavey predator strat copy,
                              Art SGX 2000 Express,
                              X-15 Ultrafoot Midi foot/floor controller,
                              ADA power amp,
                              Furman power conditioner w/lights.

Lovely wife of 22yrs,
                              Daughter (grown and finishing up college and starting her career),
                              adorable and sweet Grand baby.

My loyal friend of 13 yrs my black lab,
                              had a black cat "blackie" (she passed) and waiting for that special cat like her.

Grand Am (I love this car),
                              my tried and true S10 Chevy pickup.

I read when I can,
                              Movie goer.

Assistant technology coordinator at a local H.S.
                              Basically, I'm a gopher and do whatever the main/head technology coordinator says as well as those higher up the totem pole (faculty ) too.
                              I plan to do a few yrs and move on.
                              Its a job and could be a great job, but some people just can't handle it when your happy. You attract to much attention with happiness and get targeted and singled out.Some days I do like it but most I don't.
                              There are many days I'd rather go postal on a privileged and select few.
                              Last edited by Soap; 06-11-2008, 06:23 PM.
                              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                              X