The best mad scientists in comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best mad scientists in comics

It's a well known fact that using a scientist in a comic who's not really that smart is a winning combination. Let's talk about the most notable mad scientists from the comicbook pages.

I'll start with perhaps the most famous of them all. Professor Cuthbert Calculus of the adventures of Tintin.

Calculus is hard of hearing (well actually he's nearly completely deaf) and that often leads to hillarious conversations when Calculus repeats what he though he'd heard. He actually uses his deafness to his asvantage because it enables him to work on his inventions without any distractions. Although the exact origin of his title is never stated, Calculus demonstrates himself throughout the series to be an expert in many fields of science making achievements in multiple areas, including nuclear physics, Chemistry, mechanics and biology. Many of his inventions precede or mirror similar technological developments in the real world (most notably the moon rocket, but also his failed attempt at creating a color television set). He seeks to benefit mankind through his inventions, developing a pill that cures alcoholism by making alcohol unpalatable to the patient, and refusing under great duress to yield his talents to producing weapons of Mass destruction. Much of Calculus's more dangerous work is criticized by Captian Haddock. although Calculus usually interprets this the other way round: his deafness often leads him to misinterpret Haddock's words, preventing him from hearing his real opinion.

Then we have the friendly neighborhood Mad Scientist, Disney's Gyro Gearloose.

Gyro Gearloose is most often employed if Scrooge McDuck needs to have a problem solved allthough much of Gearloose' inventions actually create more problems in themselves certainly when crooks like the Beagleboys get a hold of them. Still Gearloose' genius cannot be denied, having invented his little robot helper (seen in the picture), a machine that stops time (in one episode of Ducktales Huey, Dewey and Louis used that device in a baseball match to change the location of the players of their favorite team in order to make them win) and several time shifting devices. Gearloose was based on his creator, Carl Barks who always would have liked to be a crazy scientist himself, through Gearloose he at least made the world a better place.

From Transformers there's Wheeljack

"That guy can build a neutron bomb out of a wristwatch and a rusty can," according to fellow Autobot Blue Streak, and that's not far from the truth. As well as the Ark fashioned the Autobots, Wheeljack is always coming up with ways to improve them, particularly their weaponry. His knack for creating wild new gadgets has earned him a "mad scientist" reputation and their deadly effectiveness has earned him the respect of friends and enemies alike. Wheeljack is his own worst enemy. He frequently injures himself while experimenting with new weaponry. But I guess the best known and most succesfull invention of Wheeljack are the Dinobots, built from scratch when he and Spike (Sam, for those who only know Transformers from the movie) came across the skeletal remains of Dinosaurs and inspiration struck.

Finally there's Skuld from the anime series "Ah! My Goddess"

With Wheeljack I already showed that a Mad scientist doesn't need to be a sixties-something man, with Skuld I'll show that a mad scientist doesn't need to be a man. The youngest of the triad of Goddesses living with Lead character Keiichi Morisato, Skuld (Pronounced "Skull-doh") has the appearence of a nomral girl in her early teens but given her devine origine she's probably much older. Skuld is an engineering genius, capable of building just about anything out of the most mundane parts under most limited resources. Sample gadgets have included: explosives, a neutrino detector, glasses that allow user to see invisible "computer bugs," and even a device for removing a miniature black hole from Keiichi's body. She can compute equations and redesign even the most complex engineering blueprints in no time. All too frequently, though, she forgets to include instructions with her devices, which can create havoc if someone unsuspecting of their true power (such as Keiichi) interferes with them. Other times, she will concentrate too much on one aspect of a device (usually power) and forgets to compensate by boosting other aspects of the same device, making many of her inventions rather unstable. Skuld herself acts rather bratty and childish, offering a nice contrast with how mature she is when lost in work.
    Last edited by Blazer; 06-09-2008, 06:32 AM.

I would say the most famous mad scientists in comics are Lex Luthor and Viktor von Doom. I know that's ancient history, but if it's the "most famous", that's who you get.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
      I would say the most famous mad scientists in comics are Lex Luthor and Viktor von Doom. I know that's ancient history, but if it's the "most famous", that's who you get.
      You also ought to mention Reed Richards and Professor X.

Anyway, Professor Calculus and Gyro Gearloose have been around far longer than the ones you mention so they´re not really THAT ancient.

Comment

I liked Gyro when I was pretty young... one goofy character
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
          Anyway, Professor Calculus and Gyro Gearloose have been around far longer than the ones you mention so they´re not really THAT ancient.
          That didn't sound quite right so I looked it up. Lex Luther debuted in 1940 while Gyro Gearloose first appeared in 1952. My work here is done.

Comment

Didn't know that your choices were older than Luthor and Dr. Doom; they've been around for what, 50-60 years. Live and learn.

As far as Reed Richards and Professor X, though, I don't consider them "mad" scientists; they are the good guys and the more straight thinkers, but I guess it's all down to perspective.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I don't consider any of the ones you've mentioned to be "Mad Scientists".

MacGyver does the same things as the characters you've mentioned (except for Calculus), and he was not a mad scientist.

Lex Luthor and Doom are mad scientists, though the term is usually also applied to Baron Von Frankenstein. However, Frankenstein's Monster was not meant to be anything more than proof of reanimating dead flesh, but he fell victim to the God Complex - "I created this life" blah blah. The power trip is what drove him mad, which is also what drove Doom and Luthor mad (though Luthor's hatred of Superman originated in the Superboy comic; one of Luthor's chemical experiments started a fire and Supes blew it out, but the resultant toxic cloud made Lex's hair fall out).

Mad Scientists make atrocities that are unacceptable in the greater sphere, yet validate those atrocities within themselves by abstract logic.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well I guess it should've been obvious from the persons I named that I meant "Mad" in a whacky way, not "Mad" as in evil.

Professor Calculus came about in 1944 in the "Red Rackham's treasure story" so you're right about Lex Luthor being around longer but I wouldn't call Luthor a scientist because basically he's an industrialist who hires Scientists to work for him and make the evil inventions for him.

Comment

Dr. Sivana from Captain Marvel (SHAZAM).

Dr. Octopus from Spider-Man.
                  please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Well I guess it should've been obvious from the persons I named that I meant "Mad" in a whacky way, not "Mad" as in evil.
                    Reed Richards is whacky? He always seemed like a bit of a stiff to me
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Actually if you read the old Superboy comics (my brother had a digest-format Superboy collection), Luthor was a scientist, and lived in Smallville. He and Clark were the same age, and on more than one occasion Luthor concocted a chemical solution that actually aided Superboy.

The term "Mad" Scientist has always meant "deranged" and "evil".
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Wheeljack was cool but you forgot about perceptor who overtook him in the cartoons and comics after hasbro killed off the first series characters...

Comment

Working...
                        X