Only Mankind will vanish - Nature survives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only Mankind will vanish - Nature survives

The title is a bit fancy, but I've some thoughts (and pictures) I'd like to share ...

3 months ago we had a huge storm over here - they called it "Emma" - and throughout Central Europe there were many deaths and devastation.
    I was pretty lucky, as only a few bricks came off the roof, but I have an "outpost" (called "The Ranch") where a big tree smashed in the middle of our fire-place:

Nobody was hurt, even 2 benches and the watering can survived - so we thought "future fire wood" and cleaned the place up.

And then we decided to leave the trunk half done and just raise it up a little, to mount our grill - we like BBQs a lot:

And now, 3 months later, look what happened:

That tree is still alive and keeps growing ! If we had just left it, where it fell, 5 trees would arise from that trunk !

Whatever we "do" to our environment, we can only kill ourselves, but nature will survive. And after the last human being has blown him/her-self up - maybe 100.000 years later, all will be green again ! A bit pathetic, I know.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Cool pics. Looks nice out there.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Franx View Post
      Whatever we "do" to our environment, we can only kill ourselves, but nature will survive. And after the last human being has blown him/her-self up - maybe 100.000 years later, all will be green again ! A bit pathetic, I know.
      Not even that long, you'd be surprised how quickly plants reclaim the land.
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

That's beautiful, but if it keeps growing there it will end up falling over from its own weight and crushing your "ranch", so you should rethink just leaving it there.

You're right, though, nature will outlast us - but in what form, we might not even recognize. An asteroid hits the planet, 95% of everything dies, and then it comes back in different forms than what we knew.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Nature will find a way to perpetuate itself...it always has.....it's a continuing cycle....the ascent up the evolutionary ladder if you will....just hopefully, if we ever do destroy ourselves....that enough of our information is retained for future inhabitants to find and not make our same mistakes....as history has a nasty habit of repeating itself through the centuries and millenia.

Comment

Originally posted by VACharvel View Post
            ... that enough of our information is retained for future inhabitants to find and not make our same mistakes...
            Yes, that would make sense ! But our history clearly shows: we don't really learn our lessons; at least our leaders don't !
            On the other hand: Every nation has the government, it deserves (Joseph de Maistre 1754-1821)

Comment

True..but I was suggesting that if we do in fact destroy ourselves, the next "intelligent" life form will hopefully exceed us where we left off.....I dunno..maybe I'm not saying it right....hopefully they surpass us in technology, intelligence, reasoning, and culture as a race....to learn where we fucked up...and not make the same mistakes damning themselves to a similar fate.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                ... but if it keeps growing there it will end up falling over from its own weight and crushing your "ranch", so you should rethink just leaving it there...
                We thought about that, and we will react if necessary. Our bigger problem is the tree to the right - the next to fall !

Comment

Originally posted by VACharvel View Post
                  True..but I was suggesting that if we do in fact destroy ourselves, the next "intelligent" life form will hopefully exceed us where we left off.....I dunno..maybe I'm not saying it right....hopefully they surpass us in technology, intelligence, reasoning, and culture as a race....to learn where we fucked up...and not make the same mistakes damning themselves to a similar fate.
                  OK ! You meant a different form of intelligent life; I agree on that ! That's the point, why all that search for extra-terrestrial life is indeed somehow exciting. To see, how they handle their issues - being far ahead - would change a lot, I guess !

Comment

I'll probably get blasted for this...and be labled as a koo-koo:ROTF:...but it really doesn't matter.

I believe in intelligent life on other planets.....I believe also that at one time in our distant past..they came here eager to help us....my evidence and proof is the Nazca Plains...the runway built thousands of years ago only visible from high above...much before man ever flew...the heiroglyphics on some of the Egyptian Pyramids showing space craft and alien beings....the list goes on.

I think they came here to help us..but seen our true nature...command and conquer....basically why should they waste their time and intelligence on us when we are so determined to kill each other....which I really can't blame them if that is true...what's the point.

The universe is too vast to think that we are the only intelligent beings in the entire existence....that to me is insane...but again, just my thoughts on it.

Comment

I believe in life on other planets (outside our solar system), too. But I don't believe that "we have been visited" theory. I've seen this pictures of the Temple of Abydos ("aircraft", "submarines", "tanks" etc):

And I've read a lot about the possible explanations. I just can't imagine an ET-intelligence "visiting" Earth, giving instructions etc BUT not leaving some real proof !?!

I think, modern scientists just underestimate the skills of the "old" ones (Nazca could (!) have been made without ETs !)

Comment

Consider this...in the entire syntax of all the languages throughout history that we currently know of, one word stands out in that it has no known origin, and that is "pyramid"....look it up...if that is in fact true, where did it come from or originate??

Do you seriously subscribe that the pyramids were built from a force of 10's of thousands of uneducated slaves over long periods of time?? Even with using primitive lever's/rollers and cranes.....that seems too impossible or improbbable to fathom.....there are pictures of space craft carrying huge blocks through the air...

I dunno....I think the evidence is present...we just need to find it, interpret it, and learn from it.

Again, just my cooky theory...it gives me hope

Comment

I think the ancients built the pyramids without assistance. True the one at Giza is mind-blowing, but there were also a series of crappy ones that were built prior to it (like Snofru's) that show a trial-and-error process at work.

Comment

Even as advanced as they were mathmatically and in physics, I don't believe they could have achieved that level of precision and perfection with primitive tools...2000+ years later some of the pyramids have joints that a piece of paper can't slip between...that is not an easy feat even today with our precision tools, laser measurement systems, and other technological advances in construction.

The size and scope of those projects is staggering...even by todays standards...

Comment

I don't think, they needed any "foreign" advices to build the pyramids; just time and manpower, which both were there in abundance.

And pyramid is not the only ancient Greek word without an Egypt root word, obelisk is another example ! Anyway - this would not be a clear proof !

Comment

Working...
                              X