Good fortune during bad luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good fortune during bad luck

Ok, first of all this isn’t intended as a woes me post. I make good money at what I do, it just seems like a lot of bad timing lately.

So, twice this has happen in the last 6 months.

First – I am a care provider for my mom. She had breast cancer in 1992 that recent was found to have (I can’t even spell the word) metastasized(?) in her hip. Thanks to the president changing health care, Kaiser and Medicare D no longer covers her meds past 2k.. So the cancer meds she’s on are almost a thousand dollars. So. I get my tax refund, which btw was meant to go towards a DK2S.. ended up having to go to purchasing meds. That covered three months.

Please don’t misunderstand me. It was a no brainer to use that money that way. Now that I know that it’s coming I have time to actually save for it, what happen then was out of left field… I didn’t expect her 2k in insurance to be gone in a month and a half..

So I use it for that and what was left for a couple odds and ends.

Move to the rebate check that came out. 600 dollars. Guess who had a 6505 in the plans? I even sold my stock so I would have enough to get the 6505, the pod live, ship my roswell to Denny, and *AND* some other odds in ends.

The head on our F*$#ing civic blows and guess who got to pay for it.

After spending a lot of money on a machine shop to grind it out and other crap I had 200 bucks left. So instead of anything else I just through another 50 on it from my paycheck and bought a Wii.. I didn’t really want a Wii.. but it comes with a boxing game and trust me I needed to beat the hell out of something, even if it was just a goofy Nintendo character.

Another couple weeks and everything will be back to peachy.. And honestly I’m happy I had cash to deal with this crap as it happen. I’m just irritated that it happen twice and the year is just now half way through.

At least last year I was able to get my semi custom Jackson Stars, so I can’t really complain. I just hate being put in these situations where I feel like an ass because I had to push aside projects that I’ve gotten fired up about (and gotten others fired up about) but it couldn’t be helped. But I also feel very fortunate that I had the funds when they were needed. Priorities are a bitch. I can’t even imagine how parents do it. Parents with GAS? Oh good lord.. My heart goes out to each and every one
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I feel your pain...sort of.
    My GAS is limited to what I can profit from my hobby.
    If I do guitar or amp repair for someone and get paid, it goes into the GAS fund.
    If I can flip a piece of equipment...same, etc.
    Kind of shows why I don't have such a massive collection, BTW.
    I'm not patient enough to flip stuff, and I do too much repair work gratis.

All that would go out the window if it came to dealing with a loved one or friend in need. (I know, you said that...it's what's in your heart that's cool!).
    But, just generally speaking, I keep it a seperate budget.

Comment

Eakinj..I completely connected to every word you said and I feel your pain in more ways you can possibly imagine..including Cygs gas woes..It's a shame. I remember none of this was an issue not long ago. As much as I thought that time sucked. it was "the good old days" in hindsight.

I'm 44 and I can't remember a time in my life that things sucked more than they do today. I remember a time I constantly bought things to "flip" and I was making minimum wage. I was doing better in a time I made 5.15 an hour than I do on a police pension. My shitty healthcare premiums is the main thing shoved deep in my anus. Nearly 1/3 of my pay goes to that!

I'm hurt for life, my wife's really hurt for life, ..Politicians don't give a fuck..they got theirs. They all say they care and promise to fix shit..they give not one fuck for us.

"Change"..Change what..the red, white and blue dick in my ass? Oh you're gonna shove a pretty green one in there? That's nice, at least I got something green in my pants..it certainly not fucking money!

ahhhh fuggums..
      Last edited by horns666; 06-05-2008, 01:04 AM.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BillZ...
        I've seen it all before!
        It's not the end of the world, it might be a beginning.
        I get way too wordy, I know. Let me just say...
        My Mother was terminally ill in the seventies, my Dad decided machining wasn't going to take care of all the bills. Remeber the Carter malaise years? It was by far worse than today! And the medical bills were way beyond his means. Fuel prices for heating were through the roof. He got a chainsaw, some gainly young men to do the real work (me, and my future brother in law), and we made an absolute killing just on selling firewood.
        There's opportunity, even for the infirm, just look around.

Comment

Well I'm gonna have to do something Cygs. I remember my dad always saying "fuck you" to Carter on the TV..that's all I remember. That, and something about peanuts and Billy Beer.

I wasn't paying bills yet..my parents were still footing that one. We've been married since '87. Bought a nice little house and everything. My sister and her family live in it now. We always did OK. We had fun, went joy riding, to malls, places to eat, concerts, and ect..now a stalk of fucking celery cost $3.50. Its fucking celery..that turns rubbery in the fridge after three days. I gotta do something..but its gotta be under the table..or they may wanna take my measly pension away. They're just waiting at the edge of the seat for the day I make a buck.

I'll just leave that last word there..because everything that's gonna follow will ryhme.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Fliipin' gear to Europe works for some people, if you know what I mean...

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
              Fliipin' gear to Europe works for some people, if you know what I mean...
              I do..some friends do well selling cds. That is something I need to start doing.

Comment

See?
                A ray of sunshine!

And, for all those off the wall disks and LP's you have, you can digitize them and keep them for yourself! And still sell them...

Comment

Eak, sorry for the Hijack.
                  But, it isn't really a hijack, either.

It's mojo between friends that maybe you can take home.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                    See?
                    A ray of sunshine!

And, for all those off the wall disks and LP's you have, you can digitize them and keep them for yourself! And still sell them...

Yea, I burned up a stack of CDRs and some ink catridges like that. But I've been trading those off to pick up some the new stuff I really want.

Yes, the mojo..the miserable and pissed off are never alone. There's plenty of company and support in that boat.

Goodnight guys..see ya in a few.

Comment

With gas prices it is really starting to hurt. My wife sells on ebay and sales are for shit. I drive 100 a day, $300 a month for gas really sucks. I have given up my monthly guitar money and tried to flip some guitars to make up for it. everyone else is in the same boat so that isn't going well either. Time to cancel the premium channels on satelite and start clipping coupons.

Comment

My mum also had breast cancer several years ago. My dad had to kick a lot of ass to get her sorted out because the NHS love fobbing people off. My girlfriend Carla is now possibly gonna end up going thru the same shit too. It pisses me off when there's fuck all I can do about it. I've been lucky I've not had any bills to pay for this... yet.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Same crap used to happen to me. I had a small pay-nothing job and whenever I'd get $300 saved up for something I wanted, there was some sort of family emergency I had to help with. I did it willingly of course, but regretted the existence of the situation.

My Mom's alkie-bum brother got picked up for another DUI when my grandparents (their parents) had just saved up enough money to come for a visit. All that money had to go to bail him out of jail.

My grandfather was so pissed he was out back of the mini-storage they managed tossing huge metal desks around like they were pillows.

2 Days later, we get a phone call saying he's in the hospital with a heart attack.

The drunken asshole son didn't even show up. He was passed out somewhere drinking his way through the ordeal.

The sad part; my own brother is a lazy-ass dreaming moocher. Thankfully he doesn't drink, but his unwillingness to work shit jobs for shit pay means he's over here sponging off me and dad every week, and one of these days it's gonna drive my dad back into the hospital with a stroke.

When that happens, expect to read on here that I doused my own brother in gasoline and set his sorry ass on fire.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I know how that feels too Newc. I don't even speak to my druggie bastard brother. He'd rather play online poker and claim benefits than work for a living. He only shows up when he's skint, despite having previously ripped off the family. What kind of a brother steals off his own family then has the nerve to come asking for help, yet never be there when he's needed, even if just fpr moral support? If I know he's paying a visit (which often I don't, he just turns up), my WR1 goes in it's case and out of site.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I think we should start a club. There are obviously enough of us. In the last two months I have gotten a good bonus check and the stimulus check. I have also had to replace a dryer, put tires on a car, and get a timing belt replaced. That in addition to catching up on bills that we got behind on while my wife was out of work (she was a property appraiser) took up both of those checks. My plans were to get a flat panel for the living room and a XBox 360 with that money, but at least I was able to cover the things I really needed. On the up side the wife is back to work and I believe that I will get those things when the time is right.
                              Last edited by Jason1212; 06-05-2008, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X