Crime Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime Sucks

So I had a great friday night/saturday morning. Thought I'd share it with you guys.

Friday night I'm up late. I watch No Country For Old Men (good movie) then I watch John Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness (not so good of a movie) and go to bed at 2:30am.

I wake up to a histerical wife at 7am. Our house got broken into. The kids came up to our room and woke the wife up and told her we needed to close the window in the dining room because the cat was getting ready to jump out the window. ????. So she goes downstairs and finds out we've been burgled.

The guy took my neighbors ladder out of his garage and used it to climb through our dining room window on the second floor and take my wifes purse and an unopened box of Pop Tarts. Window still wide open, ladder still against my house. He didn't go anywhere else in the house, I don't think. If he had went downstairs to "my room" he would have seen about 1000 DVD's, HiDef TV, Stereo Components, A Kramer/EBMM/and Jackson sitting on stands, PS3, Computer. All the "good stuff".

So I call the police and go outside. I find my wifes purse strewn around behind my neighbors garage. We find the cell phone, the credit cards and ATM card, car keys (she had both sets in her purse), check book, pictures. Everthing but the $150 in cash she had in there.

So the police come and look around a bit. The Criminal Indentification guy comes and dusts for fingerprints. Finds nothing. Nothing on the ladders, nothing on my wifes purse or contents, nothing in the house.

I've known we've had a serial burglar in the area. I think this is about the 20th house he's broken into in my area in the last few months. Just 3 days before, he hit the guy who lives 3 houses down from me. The guy was awake when the dude broke in. That time the burglar got a laptop computer and a bunch of change in a change jar. But the guy got a good look at the dude. But he's disabled, he was shot in the head a while ago and can't move very well. So he couldn't catch him. But he saw him and can identify him if the police can catch him. So after that incident, I moved all my "good" guitars upstairs to my room right next to the bed. Don't want to take any chances with those.

It's just a strange feeling to know someone was in your house when you and your wife and kids were asleep upstairs. Very strange. I'm so glad all he wanted was money and not something more violent. So my wife has me sleeping on the main floor on the couch now with a baseball bat. I've tried to tell her that I don't think he'll hit the same house twice. That doesn't seem to be his MO. But she doesn't care and feels better if I sleep on the floor he broke into. So I do. But my back is killing me now and I'm tired as hell since I can't sleep on that couch. So forgive any mispellings.

Just wanted to share that with you guys. It sucks but it could have been worse. The guy that got his laptop ripped off also got his keys ripped off. The dude can't move his car now until he gets a locksmith to come out and make a new key. Thankfully, we found our keys and credit cards and all that stuff. He just wanted the cash and Pop Tarts.

Thankfully, he didn't go downstairs. I think I'd be more pissed if he got my guitars.
    I'm angry because you're stupid

That sucks Scott, especially as you guys were home - I can fully understand everyone being freaked out. Just pray he does change his m/o while you're still sleeping on the couch....

Our rental place got broken into while we were getting the keys to the house we'd bought, which is just exactly what you need on a day like that. And like you, all they got was bullshit little stuff. No guitars, no computers or whatever....
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks neilli.

Since we are a house without firearms I now sleep with the ballbat by my side. Just in case.

Well, I do have a very, very old 20 guage shotgun that my grandfather willed to me. Made in the early 1900's. I think the last time it was shot, Eisenhower was in office. I'm not too keen about putting a shell in there and firing it. Knowing my luck, it would blow up in my hands.

Nope, we were lucky. Money is replaceable. Could have been much worse.

Comment

Were they brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts?
        "POOP"

Comment

Boy, were you lucky.

He only took $150. and didn't hurt or kill anyone.
          We've had some heated discussions about home alarm systems on this site, but I still believe they can be a good deterrent.

You may want to install motion-sensor flood lights around the outside of the house - that helps too.

Glad your family is OK.
          Strat God Music
          http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Might be time to get an alarm system and a new 12 gauge shotgun. Here in Texas, all we need is a clear line of shot if you are breaking into our house. My wife has her concealed carry, too, and is well versed on what to do if we are ever in a situation like that. Glad no one was hurt.

Comment

That reminds me of the stupid stuff that happened around here lately. People busting into houses and stealing maybe 420 cash and some food. Also gives me food for thought. I keep my guitar stuff upstairs due in part to the fact I figure it's harder to get. Scary to think someone would go through all that for $150 and Pop Tarts. I mean Pop Tarts are good but not bust into a house good

Comment

He got the pop tarts?! Bastard! Personally, I keep NO valuables on the ground floor. I even keep my wallet and all my recording gear next to my bed against the end of the room. I don't have any conventional weapons but plenty of screwdrivers, assuming anyone gets past my dad with his baseball bat in the next room. The only one who loses any sleep is my mum, only because my dad snores!
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

FOX News: As a burglar was making his exit from a second story residence, the home owner opened fire with a 12 guage shotgun. The thief escaped unharmed, however, the pop tart's wounds proved to be fatal.
                  "POOP"

Comment

Disaster!
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                      Were they brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts?
                      As a matter of fact, they were. My son was bummed. It was the 6 pack with Indiana Jones on it. They've been replaced and my son is happy.

Funny thing about kids. They don't seem upset about it at all. It's now business as usual for them. The Pop Tarts were replaced, all is well.

Strat God,
                      Funny thing you mention motion sensor lights. I have them in back. They were not turned on. DOH! My fault. I think they have been off for a while.

I heard through the grapevine, aka noisey neighbors, that they caught the guy. The dude down the street got his laptop back according to this other neighbor. I'll call the detective tomorrow.

A security system is not a bad thing. We had one when I was off on tour for the wife. Once I got back, I got crossways with the company, First Act, because they couldn't get our bill right and had been overcharging us since the get go, so I cancelled it. Might have to give ADT a call.

Comment

Damn dude sorry to hear that. It must be pretty unnerving knowing someone did that with you in the house. At least nobody got hurt.. well the occupants that is..
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, that is freaky being in the house at the time.

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                          Once I got back, I got crossways with the company, First Act, because they couldn't get our bill right and had been overcharging us since the get go, so I cancelled it. Might have to give ADT a call.
                          Well hell, there is your problem, right there. First Act, the shitty instrument company that sells "guitars" in every Wal-Mart and Toys R Us? No wonder they couldn't get your bill right.
                          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

DOH! It was Firstline, not First Act.

Don't know why I have a starter guitar company on the brain.

Comment

Dude, that does suck and I am sorry to hear it. I remember when my wife's car got borken into while at school. It was parked on a busy street in front of the college in broad day light and someone walked by and smashed to passengers window. He tried to remove the stereo but I had it mounted in there so good he couldn't take it form the dash. So, the f*cker put a screw driver into the cd opening and ruined the stereo because he couldn't take it.

It's an eerie feeling knowing someone has violated a place you consider safe. And I only had a car broken into....I couldn't imagine my home.

Hang tough bro!
                              "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Working...
                              X