Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Earl Root (Root of All Evil Records, Aesma Daeva, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Earl Root (Root of All Evil Records, Aesma Daeva, etc.)

I'm sure that at least a few of you are familiar with the name Earl Root. Earl ran the St. Paul, MN record shop Root Cellar Records, a label by the same name, a metal radio show on KFAI, and also played guitar in the operatic metal band Aesma Daeva. I can't say that I knew him extremely well, but I visited his shop numerous times, became an Aesma Daeva fan quite some time ago, and hang out with some of his bandmates fairly often. I just found out this morning, and although he's been in poor health for a long time, he never stopped doing the things he loved. RIP Earl.

- - - - - - -

Earl Root was born in 1962 and for the rest of his life embraced music with passion and enthusiasm.

Growing up in a working class family in Edina MN Earl developed a strong work ethic and thrived on a full schedule that was as he said "bordering on chaos"

Earl formed the trash band Disturbed in the mid 80's they played and toured constantly with acts such as Sepultura, and Death. A key contributor to the mid west Metal Scene Earl helped form the first Milwaukee Metal Fest, and for 27 years he ran The Root of all Evil Radio show at KFAI. Where he helped promote, interview and break many new underground acts.

Earl came home in the sense of the word when he met his wife Nancy. Nancy became an important support for him through out his life. Together Earl and Nancy held memorable 4th of July parties, and Halloween was an event that was not taken lightly at the Root household.

Well on tour he could often be found in pawn shops finding collectable vinyl or as he described it to the younger generation "Really big cd's that sound better than cd". In 1990 his passion for collecting brought him to open Root Cellar Records A premier Vinyl record store. To date much of his collection remains and can be bought through his families E-Bay Store.

In 2001 Earl joined Aesma Daeva as a primary rhythm guitarist. He continued to play guitar with the band throughout his chemo therapy, radiation and stem cell treatments. In 2007 with bladder cancer, and a kidney stent Earl completed a full U.S. and Canadian tour with Aesma Daeva.

Earl J Root passed away on Saturday May 24th 2008 at his home in Minneapolis with his wife Nancy at his side. He died of complications from his 10 year contention with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He is survived by his wife Nancy and son Arron.
    sigpic

Awww man that sucks.

RIP Earl J Root..metal brother!

I just picked up the last Aesma Daeva that Neil Kernon produced.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
    X