Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the "Guitar For The Practicing Musician" mag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've still got tons of them, as well as Guitar School (GW published), Guitar (which is what GFTPM changed the name to), Guitar One (Guitar published), and of course Guitar World.

I threw out a bunch from the mid-90s that had Nirvana and Pearl Jam and crap like that. I kept the posters though (if they were good).

It's funny to be able to pick up a magazine and not see anyone's internet address - because there was no internet in '89!

I still buy GW even if it does have the same old same old, and the posters suck (if one is even included). I've got the CDs/DVDs running around loose. Only watched one or two.

I really need to scan my old ones and post them online somewhere.

Anyway, GFTPM always did have better transcriptions (Wolf Marshall) except for the Black Sabbath stuff. They finally got Paranoid right after an Iommi interview/lesson, but there was a bunch that was wrong - Fairies Wear Boots, War Pigs had some glaring errors, and I forget which others.

Now that it's mentioned in this thread, I never noticed that Guitar was not on the shelf anymore. How sad for both of us.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I too still have 2 shelves in my bookshelf filled with GFTPM back issues, back to '83. That's where I first picked up tab, as well. I only kept them for the transcriptions.
      The Guitars:
      Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
      The Amps:
      Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        I've still got tons of them, as well as Guitar School (GW published), Guitar (which is what GFTPM changed the name to), Guitar One (Guitar published), and of course Guitar World.
        I thought Guitar School was pretty neat. GW I used to love just for Matt Bruck's tech advice. I also used to have a subscription to Guitar Shop, which was my favorite, but they folded after a few years, I guess due to lack of sales or whatever. I've had a subscription for a couple years now of Guitar Player, but I let it run out, as I hardly read it anyway.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i like the Holiday issue GW because it has a girly calendar
          ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            I thought Guitar School was pretty neat. GW I used to love just for Matt Bruck's tech advice. I also used to have a subscription to Guitar Shop, which was my favorite, but they folded after a few years, I guess due to lack of sales or whatever. I've had a subscription for a couple years now of Guitar Player, but I let it run out, as I hardly read it anyway.
            In the 90s I had GW, GFTPM, and later G School which at some point turned to Maximum Guitar, which then vanished at some point. My friend told me about G Shop, which sounded great but it disappeared by the time I tried to find it.

Now all I got is GW. I did have an intro 1 year subscription to Vintage G, which was pretty cool. It's an odd mag as it's pages are huge compared to a tradional sized one.
            I've been meaning to resubscribe to that and maybe try G Player, if for anything decent toilet reading.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

First guitar mag i ever bought, i think was guitar player, was with ozzy and jake on the cover, had crazy train in it, an al dimeola song, and one of those floppy ep things that you stuck a penny on your record player with Yngwie Black Star on it, remember that shit?
              And that was it for me at that very moment i put the needle down, i blew a nut and set out to buy, borrow, or steal my ass a guitar
              I did all three

Comment

Anybody remember "Guitar Shop" Magazine. I thought it was a pretty mag.

Comment

Yeah, Guitar SHop. I've got those as well. And Acoustic Guitar.

I'll hafta dig through my 3 footlockers to see what all I've got.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X