Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any heavy PC recording users - best soundcard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any heavy PC recording users - best soundcard?

hi,

as much as i would normally have just gone out and bought the latest Creative Soundblaster, i've not heard rave stuff when their used for music recording on PC.

any who records regularly recommend some high quality soundcards for the express purpose of recording music direct onto PC HDD.

cheers in advance.
    My music:
    www.leonlive.co.uk

I can't help but suggest M-Audio's new interface:
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2626-main.html

Run with Pro Tools M-Powered you have affordable "high quality".

Yes, I know this isn't the usual $99 USB home interface running Fruity Loops, but the above is a scalable and quite Professional solution.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I'll second the M-Audio recommendation. they've been making cards for musicians for a long time and it's a well managed company that stands behind its products.

I'll also recommend RME as another well run company with perhaps a better reputation for quality products and top notch ad conversion.

You can't go too far wrong with anything from most companies these days, but the thing to look for is a proven product with driver support for your motherboard/cpu. Good luck.

Comment

If you need to record more than two track simultaniously (sp?) the new m-audio or a rme fireface like henrik and aron said would be a nice choice. I'm an m-audio user for more than 5 years and I find their products to be a great bang for the buck. A/D converters are good and most important their drivers are constantly up to date.
        But if you don't need more than two analog input and if you want top quality converters (ie almost hi-fi recordings) then I suggest you to get an Apogee Duet.
        For the cheap route there's always the good old m-audio audiophile. I use it at home and it's a solid piece of gear.

Comment

cool, i'll check those out, thanks for your advice
          My music:
          www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

Mordor, welcome back

I also use an M-Audio Transit which is small and cheap, but still delivers. It will also run with Pro Tools M-Powered.
            Last edited by jackson1; 05-11-2008, 06:55 AM.
            Henrik

Comment

M-Audio FireWire 1814 for me and Sonar. Never had a problem with M-Audio stuff
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have the 1814 as well Great device.
                Henrik

Comment

I would have to recommend RME also as i use a RME9652.(I need the 24 optical in & outs and 2 midi channels) the reliability is rock solid, 0 latency monitoring , internal mixing and routing,,,pro features all the way. you cannot go wrong with RME,,but your gonna pay for the quality..... as with anything.

I have a couple of the M-audio cards also, and the other guitarist uses the 1010 in his rig, good cards, good sound,, but i needed more for my rig and needs

MOSHON
                  DAVE
                  "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I have a FW1814 in my studio too.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                      Mordor, welcome back

I also use an M-Audio Transit which is small and cheap, but still delivers. It will also run with Pro Tools M-Powered.
                      Thanks man! I am not up to date with all these new products such as the Profire (which seems to be a kick ass card) and the Transit, pretty small I have to say, seems like the best choice for a quick mobile recording rig. I need to check all the new stuff.

Comment

My mobile setup. The laptop has a built-in M-Audio Transit too. I can mix/record just about anywhere. Here's from a small attick in a garage:

Henrik

Comment

I love this stuff

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post
                            I would have to recommend RME also as i use a RME9652.(I need the 24 optical in & outs and 2 midi channels) the reliability is rock solid, 0 latency monitoring , internal mixing and routing,,,pro features all the way. you cannot go wrong with RME,,but your gonna pay for the quality..... as with anything.

MOSHON
                            DAVE
                            I also have the RME9652 and as Dave already mentioned it's complete solid. I put it in the computer and that's the last time i saw the card. Never had any problem with it. The only "problem" with this card is that it doesn't have any AD/DA so you need to buy some external converters which further add to the price. I bought a 16 channel AD/DA ADAT converter and it's a piece of cake now to imcorporate my outboard equipment into Cubase. I plan to add another 8 channels so i can have 24 channels for mixing down on a analog board and using the outboard gear on the inserts/auxes of the board.

Flo
                            http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Working...
                            X