Identity Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity Theft

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty damned cautious when using credit cards, writing checks, anything to do with my personal or financial information. I even shred junk mail that has my name and address on it. However, it seems that no matter how cautious you are, some scumbag will do their best to make your life miserable.

Last month, I received an invoice from a very nice resturant on Bourbon St. in New Orleans. It stated that I had a balance of $965.01. At the bottom of the invoice was a phone number, so I gave them a ringy. I explained to the billing manager that I hadn't been to New Orleans since 1996 and on top of that, I had never been to their resturant. I then asked her to fax me an itemized statement showing dates of service. She agreed to do so, thanked me for calling, and told me she'd do more research on her end.

A day or two later, I received the fax showing meals purchased from 1998 through 2003. It also included a payment made with a personal check, however, the check bounced. My first reaction was to contact my VISA representative and to make sure nothing had hit my credit card. Thankfully, I was safe on that point. My next thought was that this might be some form of scam. After further research, I concluded that the invoice and resturant were legit.

This past Friday, I received a call AT HOME from this same resturant asking when I was going to pay my bill. Luckily, I had remembered to write down the billing manager's name and she recalled our previous conversation. At this point, I started asking all kinds of questions like

1) Why was I just now being billed for charges from 1998 through 2003?

2) What forms of payment do they accept when people dine at their resturant?

Her first response was that hurricane Katrina had wrecked havoc on their resturant including some of their records. She had just joined the business and was trying to clear up unpaid balances. Her next response revealed that when diners come to their resturant, they can pay by cash, credit card, or they can request HOUSE CREDIT. Apparently, some asswipe pulled my name out of thin air and was dining at my expense charging everything to house credit.

Here's the kicker. I asked the billing manager if they required some form of picture ID when setting up house credit. She said "why would we do that?" I almost choked with that response and told her that she was setting herself up for more grief by not verifying customer's ID and credit.

After my phone call, I contacted my attorney and he drafted a letter to the resturant stating that if they didn't have concrete proof that I was a former customer, this matter was concluded. I guess I get to wait and see if they turn this bullshit over to a collection agency, but my attorney doesn't seem to be worried (yea, it's not his fucking credit that could get damaged ).

Anyway, I hope this post will enlighten and make you aware that this shit does happen.

Mr G
    "POOP"

Wow, sucks that you should even have to go through the hassle when this restaurant's accounting and billing practices are clearly to blame. You should send them a bill for your time & attorney fees!

Comment

I wouldn't have even done that, I'd have told her to fuck off straight away.

Smells like BS to me, like maybe someone has bought a restaurant that has gone tits up and is trawling through records trying to score a few forgetful payers. How did you "conclude the restaurant and invoice were legit", especially as the invoice wasn't legit, you weren't there and never have been.
      Be very careful, even corresponding with cunts like this is rising to the bait, after all, they have your signature and correspondence relating to the matter, which would mean you can't stand up in court and say that you haven't got a clue what they are talking about (even if you haven't, until now!). They could just possibly argue that it is a disputed bill, as opposed to being a bogus bill. The latter should be tossed out of court, the former could mean months of ball-ache.

But, I'm no lawyer, and certainly no American lawyer, so trust yours, that's what you pay him for. And yes, if you have to engage his services further, or the restaurant don't fuck off, make sure you sting them for your costs, the cheeky bastards.
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

When I say the resturant and invoice were legit, I meant that the resturant DOES exist. It's not like it's a bogus entity. As for the invoice, it had factual address, phone number, etc. Everything on the invoice matched the physical location of the resturant. I wonder if their food gave me gas?
        "POOP"

Comment

My attorney doesn't charge me for this type of work.
          Last edited by SEEGERMANY; 05-04-2008, 11:27 AM.
          "POOP"

Comment

I wouldn't think a restaurant could report you to a credit agency without a SSN, but who the hell knows. The whole system is convoluted and broken. I'd keep an eye on that.

Comment

just FYI for those who don't know everything is done by computers now a days and if you think your safer purchasing at B&M stores you are wrong. It's safer to purchase over the internet... When you swipe your card its' being transmitted over the net or when you hand the card to that young lady she can easily dump the information. .. Also if you have a new passport I would also get a wallet to block the transmission of your info from the dude standing next to you. It has a RFID Chip which carries information.
              2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
              2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
              2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
              2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
              2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
              2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
              2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
              2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
              2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
              1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
              1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

"House Credit" with no picture ID? "Why would we do that?" ??

Maybe after her 50th try at collecting from every Bob Jones or John Smith in the lower 48 she'll figure out why the fuck they should've done that. I'm glad I have a name that nobody would ever pull out of thin air.

Comment

What is the name of this restaurant? Y'know.......just in case we happen to be in New Orleans........wouldn't want to get stitched up.
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                    What is the name of this restaurant?
                    Galatoire's Resturant
                    209 Bourbon Street
                    New Orleans, LA 70130

Tell'em Mr G sent ya!
                    "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                    X