Install New Printer Wizard at every startup help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install New Printer Wizard at every startup help

I was working on somebody's computer and was trying to get rid of the printer wizard. Microsoft's page tells you to delete the LPTENUM key in the registry. I got an access denied error so I modified the permissions which let me delete it a couple times (It kept coming back) and followed the rest of the instructions but no go.

Anybody have experience with this?

The owner also told me it has been doing this for awhile, so system restore is also a no go.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;298370
    -Adam

Have you tried this:
    WORKAROUND

To work around this problem, complete all the steps in the New Hardware Wizard, even though the wizard cannot detect a new printer.

Comment

That's a workaround, not a solution, aka everytime you boot up the computer it keeps coming up. In other words, yes.
      -Adam

Comment

Did you try uninstalling the printer?

Comment

It maybe a missing "msi" setup file its looking for upon each boot.
          Without that file, its stuck looping itself and won't stop till its found.
          Its trying to install itself but can't continue or complete the process because the "msi" setup file is corrupt or missing. Read and pay attention to what its saying when trying to install.
          Theres a point when it quits and provides you a dialog box stating the concern.
          Google that info the (dialog box info) and that will lead you where you need to go to resolve it.

This sort thing, although not identical, has happened to me before, a missing msi setup file.
          I googled and found a download that resolved this issue.

OR:
          You may in fact have to go the way Slash has recommended.
          It works cause I've done a many of times and then deleted the piece of hardware and all was good.
          Last edited by Soap; 04-23-2008, 03:02 PM.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

1. Let Windows install the supposed "new" printer. Direct it to the location of the driver if needed.

2. Windows will probably call this printer "Copy #2" or whatever.

3. Once installed, delete the original printer.

4. Rename the "Copy #2."
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
            X