Planning a Trip to Ohio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a Trip to Ohio...

Dad and I are planning a "Guys Trip", and may possibly invite my brother to come along. This will take place maybe late Spring, probably in early to mid summer. What we want to do is maybe a spend a weekend seeing some of the cool things around Dayton and Cleveland. First we want to go to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. That will probably be a whole day. Next we were thinking of going to Cleveland to see a Cleveland Indians baseball game, possibly against the Texas Rangers.

Of course the question is there anything else to do? Obviously the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, but $22 a pop to get in that place? No way! While they do have a package deal that includes tickets to the nearby Pro Football HoF, thats $36 per pop and the Pro Football Hall of Fame is just... meh. Doesn't have the same mystique as the Hockey or Baseball HoF, though it would be cool to complete the trifecta.

So finally anywhere else to go? What about good places to eat, and cool guitar stores? Anywhere in Cleveland to AVOID (ie places where you may come back to find your car a chassis ). If we're going to see the Rangers, it could end up being a weekend in late May. I know we have some people from around Cleveland here, so fill me in guys

I would find Bill and do some serious cock-boxing with him and then get the fuck out of that place
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Yepper..We have a nice zoo..that covers the entire city.

I never been to the RNRHOF..and it's been free for my family for years..so.

The TFOF..is a bit of a hike from downtown Cleveland because it's in Akron.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        Yepper..We have a nice zoo..that covers the entire city.

I never been to the RNRHOF..and it's been free for my family for years..so.

The TFOF..is a bit of a hike from downtown Cleveland because it's in Akron.
        :ROTF:

Yeah. If we did we did that, it would add a bit more time to the trip, part of why the deal doesn't seem that attractive. It would likely be something like:
        Leave for there Friday around 8am
        Get there in time to have dinner, hang around for a bit
        Go to the ball game
        Go back to Hotel
        Go to the USAF Museum the next day, spend all day there
        Head home Sunday

Comment

If you go in the summer check out Iron Maiden on June 12 (or 11?)

Also Cedar Point is not too far and a lot of fun

Comment

Hey, I work like 5 minutes from the AF museum. You will definitely need all day there if you have never been before, it is simply awesome. They have an IMAX theatre with some good flight and space movies too. If you have more time in Dayton, you might consider a Dragons minor league baseball game. It is the only single A team that has sold out every home game, around 9000 a game and they have around 4000 on a waiting list for season tickets. Yes. All tickets are season tickets but you can get lawn seats in the outfield, just bring a blanket. There's a cool bar across the street from the stadium called the Brixx Ice Co or something like that. You can catch some cool shows at Canal Street tavern some times which is downtown and Hauer Music is also downtown which is worth checking out although the guitar dept has gone down hill recently. There is also the Oregon District on Fifth street that is a lot of fun. A lot of bars really close together. If you're looking for hotels in Dayton, look in Fairborn and Beavercreek which is where I work now and is 5 minutes from the museum. There's a mall and some nice hotels. Have fun!
            Woo hoo, Dayton!
            Brian

Comment

Dayton is a cool place tons of pawn shops too.The AFB is a way cool all day deal.My uncle worked a WP AFB in the 50's and 60's as a Strategic Air Command computer big wig.I got to go with him to the aircraft graveyard many times and he knew the history on about every plane out there.
              If you come down to Dayton make the trip to Cincinnati and hit Mikes music he has some killer stuff.Oh yeah get some Gold Star chili too.
              Last edited by straycat; 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

+1 to the AFB. It's free - how could you go wrong?

I work in Cleveland 5 days a week, but I'm far west in Avon and Westlake, so I never see the "fun parts"

I did go to CLE baseball games a couple of times last year. I was surprised - it wasn't as scary as I'd thought it would be.

Comment

Not sure myself, isn't the rock n roll hall of fame in Ohio?
                  If it is, it might be worth checking out.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                    Obviously the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, but $22 a pop to get in that place? No way!

Comment

Sorry, its late and I'm tired and my eyes are burning.
                      I don't get that far into his post.
                      That don't is suppose to be a didn't.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Cedar Point is a must..

My stomach..this is not right. I think I came down with irritable bowel syndrome..
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                          Also Cedar Point is not too far and a lot of fun
                          It would be worth it to go to Cedar Point one of those days...I actually plan on going at least twice this summer

Comment

I used to go ever year but haven't been for 5 years. I'm hoping to make it down this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              Cedar Point is a must..

My stomach..this is not right. I think I came down with irritable bowel syndrome..
                              Good thing it isn't irritable BOWL syndrome. You'd have to quit smoking until it stopped being irritable.
                              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                              X