Popular Cover Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular Cover Bands

I'm currently playing with a couple bands right now trying to decide which one I want to stick with. I've also auditioned for several others a lot lately. This may not be a huge revelation but I have really been taking a hard look at what makes some of these bands so popular and others not so much.

For example: I audtioned with a band that had huge potential. All the guys were very talented and had great gear. A couple of them had just come off east cost tours with various bands. They will go nowhere.

Other local cover bands I see around are hugely popular and pack the bars and will be packing the beach clubs in about a month.

The difference: The choice of songs. You could hand pick a super-group but if the songs don't go over, your done. I've seen some very average players make it big on the local scene and crazy sick players do nothing. Have you guys/gals noticed the same thing?

Moral of the story - Brush up on those one hit wonder songs that you would never admit you like because they could make you some money and very popular on the club scene. Nobody gives a fug that your band can play YYZ by Rush. They want to hear Dixies Midnight Runners damnit!
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

um, popular bands play popular music... nothing new there

Comment

Yep. 98% of our setlist I will hit the NEXT button if I hear them on my MP3 player or on the radio. We play them out for a reason, they are popular. When we pick a song, if it doesn't go over well, then we will drop it.

If you don't give a shit what people want to hear, it's plain and simple, don't play out.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
        um, popular bands play popular music... nothing new there
        um, I think you missed my point. I got that part. I'm really just asking the question about what these talented people are thinking by only picking songs that only they like when their goal is to play out in the popular clubs.
        Last edited by MikeStrat; 03-23-2008, 06:57 AM.
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
          Yep. 98% of our setlist I will hit the NEXT button if I hear them on my MP3 player or on the radio. We play them out for a reason, they are popular. When we pick a song, if it doesn't go over well, then we will drop it.

If you don't give a shit what people want to hear, it's plain and simple, don't play out.
          Agreed. I'm just shocked how many good players out there who want to play out just want to play what they like. Or they pick obscure songs that they really think are popular and they simply are not.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
            Agreed. I'm just shocked how many good players out there who want to play out just want to play what they like. Or they pick obscure songs that they really think are popular and they simply are not.
            That's one of the biggest reasons I didn't pursue a musical career, and went the tech route, instead. What me and my bandmates liked to play wasn't what people wanted to hear. If they are up on the floor, life is good. If they're just sitting around drinking and talking, life sucks.

Comment

If you're trying to make a living off of music, then yes, you need to play what other people like.

If music, on the other hand, is not your source of income, who cares what other people want to hear?!?!? I play music to please one person -----> me. I've practiced and studied for over 20 years, majored in music in college, and continue to get up at 5AM every day to practice. I sure as heck don't do all that to make anybody happy other than myself.

If you're good at what you do, there will always be an audience.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post

yeah, im the same way, id say about a third of our setlist is stuff id say "next" to. Two of the "biggest" songs we play are she hates me and crazy bitch. Everyone in our band hates them, but everyone in the audience loves them.
                Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

As long as the croud gets into it, then you are good to go. If you can play your own show and get 150-200 people in the door, then you are golden and the crowd will be into you so slipping in a B side song here and there probably won't clear the floor infont of the stage. You can play for the door plus a percentage at the bar or a set price and let the bar keep the door.

I do get your meaning though. If you play B side stuff, no matter how killer the song is and how well you do it, then don't be pissed when you hear crickets after the tunes. We have tunes we love to play but the crowd could give 2 shits about. We just don't play them out much and keep them as a filler tune if needed when we have to cover a 10-2.

Comment

Sounds exactly like my first band. We played 80's and 90's metal. The drummer and bass player wouldn't play any Metallica, or anything else that was remotely mainstream. Examples:
                    Ozzy: Over the Mountain (this might be the exception)
                    Maiden: Powerslave, Aces High
                    Cooper: Billion Dollar Babies
                    Priest: The Ripper
                    MOD: Dead End
                    King Diamond: The Eye
                    Fates Warning: Part of the Machine
                    Slayer: Jesus Saves, South of Heaven
                    Gamma Ray: ???
                    Helloween: I Want Out
                    GWAR: Gor-Gor

Most were pretty cool tunes, but NOT the right songs for a cover band! Our drummer always thought we were gonna blow peoples minds with shit like Fates Warning....maybe the one guy in the back that had ever heard of them!

Long story short, the other guitarist and I started a 2 man acoustic band playing mostly 80's pop shit, and the usual favorites...at least now we get gigs and make money!

Pat

Comment

Working...
                    X