Networking long shot - wireless issue on Vista machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking long shot - wireless issue on Vista machine

I have a vista machine on my wireless network. It connects to the network fine, right WEP and key etc but is local only with no internet access. All other devices on the network are fine, including a second vista machine (identical settings) .

I tried eveything I can think of, uninstalling /reinstalling the 802.11g network adaptor etc. I'm about to take a ballpin hammer to this sunbitch and kill pretty nice widescreen HP laptop.

Any ideas networking gurus?
    shawnlutz.com

What do you get when u ping a website from the cmd prompt?

Comment

That and what about an ipconfig /all from the command prompt? I am wondering if your picking up an IP address. You could be connected to the wireless but you may not probably don't have IP connectivity.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Try this. Go into Network and Sharing Center. Click on "Manage Network Connections" on the left. Right click on your "Wireless Network Connection" and select properties. Under the Networking tab Unclick "Internet Protocall Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" and then reboot. That should get you back on the net. The same thing happened to my Vista Laptop and disabling TCP/IPv6 did the trick. After a couple days I just went back and enabled TCP/IPv6 on a whim and all was good again.

Matt

Comment

I tried that and it didnt work Matt.

What is odd is it connects to my network but has an issue id'ing it. It says Unidentified Network but has the rigth network name, so Name ofthe LT--->Unidentified network--->--x---Internet sgnal strenght excellent

Jack, ip config/all lists all sorts of stuff . Under wireless LAN it has an ip address for autoconfigure IPv4 of 169.254.247 (preferred)

I have a million and one cat5 cables at work but none at home to try to ethernet to the router to see if can get a net connection that way.

This shit is damn frustrating. Nothing has changed but i dunno if the wife dicked with a setting or not, its her laptop. My son has the exact same laptop and I compared all the settings are they are the same
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

That 169.254 address is known as an "auto ip address". It means you have a valid wireless connection, but for whatever reason the DHCP request failed, and Vista assigned itself an address. Do a release/renew on the address (reboot if you don't know how to do that).

Comment

Axewielder, I rebooted this thing several times since troubloshooting this so that would renew correct?
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

You rebooted the router right?

Comment

Two things come to mind; 1)is DHCP enabled on the adapter, its worth double checking, and 2) is the router configured for enough addresses?

How many other devices do you have on your network? I only allow 3 DHCP address on my network and when I have company that brings a device I need to increase the limit.

Comment

yep Jeremy...rebooted the router as well as all machines on the network, heck even my TILT phone connects and gets net access . I even renamed my network and everything else still connects except his one damn LT. I usually can figure this stuff out but this one has me stumped..it has to be something simple that I'm overlooking or something
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Double check all 4 WEP keys. If one is wrong, it can lead to these symptoms. It will show that you are associated, but no packets can get across, or can only get across in one direction (thus DHCP will fail).

Comment

On a side note, WEP is totally unsafe, use WPA2

Comment

have you disabled the wep and tried to see if it connects unsecured?

Comment

Jack I allow 10... Are you talking about allowing DHCP on the wireless adaptor? I dont see where I can select that from device manager . It is enabled on the router tho

Axe, all 4 WEP keys are the same
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

yeah, I was wondering if it was turned off for that adapter for some reason. Have you tried plugging it in with a cable just to see if you get connectivity? That might narrow down the issue?

Comment

Working...
                              X