Those desiccant bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those desiccant bags

I leaned something today when I bought my Memphis guitar. I was all excited that the case had two desiccant bags in it. The other person behind the counter said they are the kiss of death. He said that they just kill the wood on gunstocks. He was emphatic. I had them throw away the two bags that were in the case. Thoughts?
    I am a true ass set to this board.

I have never heard of a gunstock being ruined by a dessicant bag. All they do is absorb moisture. I dont think youd notice any difference with or without the bags.

Comment

They absorb access moisture in the air. So not to ruin the item in the box/case etc. They wot draw moisture out of a piece. They arent a vacuum.
      Gil

Comment

That is not what this guy said. He said those suckers go after the moisture in the wood. He was ranting about this and he convinced me.

Comment

In a humid environment like Seattle they are probably an advantage. I have had a silica gel bag in the case with my Gibson SG since 1978 and it hasn't seemed to hurt the guitar whether it was here in Mississippi, out in Los Angeles or back here again.

Don't believe everything everybody tells you, Fett, and just because they work somewhere that you think they should know doesn't mean they do. Look at all the idiots that work at Guitar Centers (not including JCFers who work there, we know those guys know what's up).
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

How big were the bags? If they were just the little standard 1"x1" then there's nothing to worry about. They're most likely already saturated anyway just from the humidity in the air, being in the northwest.

Now, if you lived in a dry area, and the case was kept closed with the bags in there, then maybe you'd see some drying of any unsealed wood.

Bottom line, yes they remove moisture, but not enough to make a difference.
            Scott

Comment

If anything, I made a friend at the pawnshop.:ROTF: He'll remember me. And that's a good thing.

Comment

Just be sure to tell him the JCF says he's full of shit next time you see him. That should cement the friendship!
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

He's not full of shit. Those bags will suck moisture out of guitars. They are put in the case BEFORE the case even has a guitar in it. They are put in there by the case manufacturer to suck the moisture out of the case during shipment. The guitar company doesn't put them in there. Don't believe me? Order a SKB case from musiciansfriend or somewhere like that. There will be on in there when you open it up.

These things have a very short shelf life. When they absorb all the moisture they can, they quit working. So if you have one from 1978 that thing isn't doing shit anymore and probably hasn't since 1978.

I pitch them right away. Guitars need moisture.
                  I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                    He's not full of shit. Those bags will suck moisture out of guitars. They are put in the case BEFORE the case even has a guitar in it. They are put in there by the case manufacturer to suck the moisture out of the case during shipment. The guitar company doesn't put them in there. Don't believe me? Order a SKB case from musiciansfriend or somewhere like that. There will be on in there when you open it up.

These things have a very short shelf life. When they absorb all the moisture they can, they quit working. So if you have one from 1978 that thing isn't doing shit anymore and probably hasn't since 1978.

I pitch them right away. Guitars need moisture.
                    +1
                    if it takes moisture out of the air it can take moisture out of wood, since all based on relaitve himidity. IIRC they are also used to remove the smell of the glue used in the making of the case.

Comment

It all made sense to me what he said. I'm not as dumb as I look.:ROTF:

Comment

I usually just leave them in the compartment of the case and don't worry.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I eat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                            I eat them.
                            That explains a whole lot Cyg.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                              I eat them.
                              :ROTF:

"desiccant bags" - Are we talking about Silica Gel? I thought these things kept your guitar smelling new, and not of heavy smoking (er my bad!), or cat piss (the cats are never allowed past the kitchen thank fuck).
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X