Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YES - Our Song

talk about a dip into the memory pool.

I've been gradually using iTunes to fill my mp3 collection with old stuff I used to have on tape but don't want necessarily to get the whole cd now, etc, and one of the bands I wanted more of was Yes.

I finally got around to the 90125 album which really made a big impression on me in college (that's where I was when it came out) and found Our Song, which I had completely forgotten has the most amazing off-timing verse sections, so I just had to post this. the intro/chorus is OK, kind of cheesy actually, but the verse parts with the set-up guitar bit and the 4 big piano chords and the syncopated vocal parts are just SICK. talk about musical genius.

this kind of alchemy is what I love about music. (gotta love the intro to the second verse where Rabin solos under the signature guitar riff)

this is the only easy way to hear the song, it's a picture vid only, of the city which the song is about, Toledo
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Tet4fcdANg
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Funny ... I stumbled over this album, too - just a few weeks ago. My favourite is Changes ! And I remembered, that there was a video back then, so I looked around and ordered the DVD. 9012-Live by Steven Soderbergh - very impressive live performance, great musicians !
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Changes is the best prog tune ever
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Great album
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          Changes is the best prog tune ever
          I have to agree. They are suck a killer band. "In and around the lake" has the best bass line ever.

Matt

Comment

YES was the first band I freaked out over. I thought Steve Howe was the king. Their first album I ever really dug was Tormato of all things. It grew from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Franx View Post
              My favourite is Changes !
              I always loved that tune, too. I must admit that I have always heard a Rush/Alex Lifeson influence with the rhythm guitar parts, which ain't a bad thing.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                I have to agree. They are suck a killer band. "In and around the lake" has the best bass line ever.

Matt
                It's called "Roundabout"
                Scott

Comment

"Awaken" in the headphones is unbelievable IMO.

This is a pretty cool video from the "Going for the One" sessions.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UXtyNTMILW4&feature=related

And a short one of Rick Wakeman talking. He is pretty hilarious in a Monty Python sort of way:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hgmFmR5o9t4&feature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    It's called "Roundabout"

Comment

I'm a Yes fan going way back. My best friend's older brother was really into prog and was cool about letting us listen to all of his records and taking us to concerts before we could drive. I saw every Yes lineup at least once, and the best show I remember was 2nd row for one of their tours with the circular revolving stage. In terms of pure talent, I don't think I've ever seen another band that could hang with them or deliver the goods live like they did. As for their best tune, it's totally subjective, but I'm going to say Sound Chaser off the Relayer album. It's fucking sick. Here's a live vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rIj6dt7uc

Sound quality could be better, especially the bass. Chris Squire is amazing, and it's kinda lost.

edit- Found the studio track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AozwH...eature=related
                      Last edited by dg; 03-21-2008, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I spoke with Jon Anderson a few years ago on the phone. it went like this: ring-ring "hello" ... "Hi, is Rod (former bro-in-law) there?" .... me "Nope, he's not" .... "Could you tell him Jon Anderson called?" ... me "Sure".... Jon "thanks". I though Man, that dude sounded like a chick. Did not put 2 and 2 together until I told Rod some Jon called for him. that is my brush with Yes
                        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Heart of the Sunrise has always been my all-time favorite Yes song.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_l4-...related&search=
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBPzH...eature=related

I got into Yes big in college and did get to see them live in SF once, in the 90's w/Rabin.

yeah their guitar sound has always been a bit thin from Howe I thought, with all the hollow-body stuff, but Rabin fattened things up. the bass and keys lead the band. guitar is sort an afterthought sometimes with them. it's fit in btwn on some songs. it's better with both guitarists like this version.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Closest I ever got to seeing Yes was Asia, the hardcore Pop Version.
                            But, that was an incredible concert! Emerson had a wall of keys that made me into a
                            vintage keyboard wannabe...I ended up with one, an Ensoniq SD-1. Not vintage, but great sounding and versatile.

Funny, being a Rush and a Floyd fan, I had a few Yes albums, and I found them to be unnapproachable, somehow. Like they were so good, they it made it sound like noodling.

I saw them live on public TV a few months back, and enjoyed it...but for as much as I ignored them, I would have loved to catch them live back in the day. Just a couple of years before my time.

Comment

I listen to alot of prog and Yes is always in my playlist. 90125 was an amazing album. I remember wondering if Trevor Rabin could do them justice, but once I heard his work in It Can Happen and Changes I was an instant convert. He is such a tasty player and makes his stuff sound so easy and natural that you get fooled into thinking it's easier than it really is. A great album man! Our song is one of the gems on it for sure!
                              "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Working...
                              X