How good is your ear for music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is your ear for music?

If you've got 10-15 minutes to spare in a quiet room with no distractions, then you might to try this test put together by University College London and University of Newcastle Upon Tyne:

http://www.delosis.com/listening/home.html

They play you a total of 60 short phrases of music. Each is played to you twice and you have to identify if both versions are identical.

The study is aiming to check if musical-ears run in families, so if you do well, they'd like you to encourage your family members to give it a go. Regardless of that, you can just try it yourself.

It's interesting, fun, and you're bound to do better than me.

I have a perfect musical ear. I don't need no test. Now that I know my fretboard, I can just listen to a song and play it on my guitarr .Know if I only really knew how to play.:ROTF:
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Very cool test!

First test: 18 out of 30
      Second test: 23 out of 30

What were your scores, ken?

EDIT: Average is 25 on each test, and they were taken 130,518 times. My ears suck LOL. .
      I'll repeat the test in few days for sure!
      Last edited by Nazgul; 03-19-2008, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Cool. I got 24 out of 30 on the first one and 27 out of 30 on the second one.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

28 out of 30, 29 out of 30.

Yay for music degrees

I second guessed myself on a few of them.
          Scott

Comment

That was fun! I got 26 on the first and 28 on the second.

So basically Spiny, the music degree makes a difference of 3 (J/K)

Thanks for posting.
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Simon. I tried to take the test but the TV was on and MSN Mess was going crazy. I know I have one good eye and 1 and half good ears.:ROTF:

Comment

And having a good ear listening to Steely Dan just hurts. Other than Realing in the Years.:ROTF:

Comment

Sorry Naz, I was pretty average, 24/30 and 26/30, but figured all you guys would be better. I felt I was guessing a lot with the first half. I found the second half easier.

My ear definitely sucks. I often can't tell if I'm listening to an ascending or descending sequence of notes. I find following rhythms easier. People may be beating up on Willie Adler in another thread, but he's done my sense of timing no end of good. LoG rock.

Fett, I'm surprised you can hear anything through that Viking helmet!

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    28 out of 30, 29 out of 30.
                    Now I can tell my choir-singing office-mate to shut up boasting about his score.

Comment

Ken. Me too.:ROTF:

Comment

27/30 and 29/30... Brought back memories sitting in ear training/sight singing classes for my Music degree. Pretty cool test.

Comment

Most of the times you can just tell when they play a note out of tune with the rest. I didn't finish the test yet tho, too tired & drunk atm :p

Comment

I got 25/30 and 26/30.
                            I used headphones.

Comment

You scored 27/30 and 26/30. Not bad for not much hear training. yea!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X