Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dare i say ... only in America?

Comment

Sure you can but in anycase America played a huge role in the development of the Metal scene, expecially during the 80s. And also if that video is a bit on the pathetic side of television I can see it happen everywhere in the world ( wanna talk about german censorship? ). It still represent a great age that I much more prefer to today's life!
      80s baby

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
        Dare i say ... only in America?
        Well not really. Remember, Canada is so close geographically, and idealogically, that we experience pretty much anything you do, perhaps to a lesser degree.

3 stupid friends of mine went out one night, and knocked over some gravestones in a local graveyard. Believe it or not, the guy driving had busted his car tape deck, so they were listening to the radio, and Madonna was on right before they did this stupid graveyard thing. When they got caught a few days later, the paper reported that they did it because they were listening to Satanic heavy metal. Not only that, but the report also claimed they had tried to dig up a grave, and all kinds of other stupid shit. They painted a vivid picture of 3 teens who had turned into psychotic satanists thanks to evil heavy metal music. It was a total joke. The mother of one of the guys disposed of his entire record collection, and all his concert shirts and posters, because she bought into the whole thing. Very sad.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Fooking "Lucky Star" playing I'd bust some shit up too.

Vass

Comment

Wow, that's just craziness. Luckily my parents never fed into that shit, but on the other hand teens are very impressionable. There are a lot of pressures in life as a teen especially if you're not part of the 'in crowd'. I can see how a song like "suicide solution" could make a negative impression on a depressed teen. But I dont think it accurately represents even a significant minority of teens that listen to metal. If you've decided that you're gonna kill yourself, then you're gonna do it whether you listen to metal or to gospel music.

-Steve
            Last edited by UFORocks; 03-16-2008, 08:00 PM.
            Guitars:
            '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
            '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
            '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
            Amp:
            VOX AD30VT

Comment

My deal?
              My parents just hoped I didn't buy into the hogwash, but certainly didn't like my choices in music. My answer was, "So it's ok for you watch Carrie, or the Exorcist? But I can't listen to Heavy Metal, which is the same idea?". End of conversation. I turned out only half bad. Not the blood drinking suicidal maniac that the media wanted to portray. I even threw away all ideas of "coolness" and attended college!

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                "So it's ok for you watch Carrie,
                Mmmm.....Dirty pillows

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Mmmm.....Dirty pillows
                  I hate to admit, those old habits never left me. I watch very little TV, much less whole movies. So, I knew "about" what they watched, but didn't participate. Funny, the Shining is one my all time favorites that I'll take the time to watch.

Comment

I was AT that Meadowlands Iron Maiden show when the douchebags ripped Brendan Byrne arena apart and then overturned some cars in the parking lot outside after the show. I still have the NY Daily News op/ed article on that that I clipped out, saying that it was not IM's fault that some dicks went haywire.

but as usual, some fucking dickheads have to go and ruin things for everyone.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                      I was AT that Meadowlands Iron Maiden show when the douchebags ripped Brendan Byrne arena apart and then overturned some cars in the parking lot outside after the show. I still have the NY Daily News op/ed article on that that I clipped out, saying that it was not IM's fault that some dicks went haywire.

but as usual, some fucking dickheads have to go and ruin things for everyone.
                      Well, a Reputation is a hard thing to earn sometimes.
                      You gotta stand out from the crowd, somehow.

Yeah, I know what you mean. There's rockers, but every crowd had it's share of asshats. The only hope was that they would pass out before anything REALLY bad could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Mmmm.....Dirty pillows

Yeeeeeaaaahhhh! One of my fave phrases from this flick!

"I can see your dirty pillows"
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                        X