No announcement yet.

"Ask first"/"Don't touch" cards on guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A shop here is like that, but the guy is cool with me and knows that I won't damage his stuff, so he lets me try anything, from $100 Squiers to $1500 Gibbys. That said, he told me he started the "Ask First" policy after an incident in the late 80's where some kid knocked a Gibson LP over getting another guitar off a stand and the Gibby fell and ended up with a broken neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
      you'd kick Billy Gibbons out?
      If Billy Gibbons breaks it (or scratches it) he can buy it, and I'm sure he would without giving you grief over it - unless he saw all the other scratches that were made by a bunch of dumbfucks, that is!
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

They have those up at the 2 major stores in town. I think it's a good idea, and that was made ever more clear to me last fall.

A new chain called Quest Musique has opened up a second location and they don't have those signs. People just walk up, take a guitar down and play. I was in the new store looking at some Schecters and I see this kid come in with his buddy, grabs an Ibanez off the wall and sit down to play it. He has on those ghey Hot Topic pants with all the zippers, buckles and shit and a studded belt. I bet the back of that Ibby got grated up like cheese.
        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
            These music store employees can be fun (I used to be one) on a number of levels.
            The other day, I was in the little mom & pop local store... the kid that works there, I'm pretty sure his dad owns the place.
            I'd say he's about 18 or so.
            Anyhow, this older lady was in there with her grandson, who was having the kid look at the bridge... trying to describe what was wrong with it as he handed it across the counter.
            So, as he takes the guitar, and starts looking at it he goes "Yeah,,, this thing's FUCKED man"

LOLOLOL

The older lady gasp so loudly, I thought she was gonna choke on her dentures.

It was hilarious

OMG... That is so funny, I would have to fire the little screw up!
            Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

talk about no touching there is a music chain store in south metro atlanta, where years ago had a sales man who was a local guitar hero, if you wanted to demo a guitar, he played it for you. if you wanted to feel the neck or the weight of the guitar, he would let you as he stood over you the whole time harshing your guitar buzz. but he would take it back and plug it up and play it, he was good too. i was impressed for about 5mins. i walked out of that store more than once w/ money to spend on an axe because of glory hound dude.
              jackson dx10
              charvel avenger
              schecter c1 classic
              samick tr2 sg clone
              fender twin amp.
              abunch of stomp boxes

Comment

Some of us have enough sense to cover or remove scratchable items before handling a guitar.

Or to not wear that stuff at all. You don't wear your "rock star" outfit every day, people
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

To kinda back up what Newc is saying , I have a chain on my wallet, cause of where I work , but when I hit Guitar Center I either put the chain in my back pocket , or remove it completely. Same goes for my Keys , I use key rings , when I'm there or playing someone else's guitar in my pocket they go. It's common sense.
                  According To The Prophecy

Comment

Damn, I was gonna buy that DK1. Meh, I give up. I'll wait til a JCF member offers to sell their USA. You know what I wanna buy
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      Some of us have enough sense to cover or remove scratchable items before handling a guitar.

Or to not wear that stuff at all. You don't wear your "rock star" outfit every day, people
                      Exactly. But one of the worst things to fuck up a finish is the rivets on jeans. For those of you that don't know, rivets cause the "worming" found on the back of guitar bodies. Do yourself a favor and show the store owner you care. Carry a polishing cloth with you next time you go guitar shopping. Unfold it, poke a section of it into your jeans (similar to a loin cloth), and wail away. When you finish testing, wipe the fucker down and I guarantee the shop owner will not forget your consideration.
                      "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                      X