Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your fav. movie by these directors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ Correctamundo

Kubrick and Lynch are the only ones i'm familiar with.

Kubrick - It would be a tie between 2001 and Full metal jacket. Clockwork orange isn't too far behind though.

Lynch - The elephant man

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Did he? Seems awfully similar to Kubrick's work. Scott also did Alien, right?
      As mab8485 said, yep. Alien and Blade Runner look very similar. He did Blade Runner right after Alien so I can see why they look similiar. Both deal with the same kind of look and feel. Both excellent movies. I'm a big Scott fan. He's one of those directors that change his look and feel all the time. Where as Kubrick is Kubrick. No matter if he's doing Vietnam or Horror or Science Fiction, you can tell a Kubrick film from a mile away...

I forgot to mention Spartacus when talking about Kubrick. I know he wasn't fond of the film but I think it's a great piece of work...
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

1) Kubrick - The Shining
        2) Allen - Manhattan
        3) Fellini - sorry we americans don't have much clue on Fellini
        4) Lynch - Mulholland Drive
        5) Truffaut - yea right LOL
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Kubrick - Blade Runner & 2001
          Allen - Nothing really
          Don't think I've seen a Fellini film
          Lynch - Dune. Naked Lunch was interesting until I realised it was about 3 Brits in India who spend all day smoking opium and sucking off Hindu peasants.
          Trffaut - Only seen F.451 as far as I know.

As I understand it, the works of these directors are not about the story or the character portrayal, but about the "technical" aspects of the actual filming process - lighting, cinematography (camera angles and scene settings). They're like the shredders who can't play anything that is moving, but it is filled with incredibly impressive technique.

These guys make "films" - everyone else makes "movies".

In the line between "Art" and "Entertainment", they are on the "Art" side. That's not to say their work isn't entertaining in its own way, but they're a different form of entertainment with a different target audience.
          Yes, they all are more on the art side.
          But stories, characters etc. are also VERY important in their works because they all write scripts and the tension and emotions between human beings is one of the main things.
          You got that right that they are "films"
          Entertainment movies seem to be less entertaining every year... I for example don't find anything interesting in Michael Bay's blockbuster crap or stuff like that.... probably because I'm into old-school
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Michael Bay? Did he do Armageddon?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Michael Bay? Did he do Armageddon?
              yup... and The Rock, Bad Boys, Pearl Harbor, Transformers etc. the kind of movies wich make me hide behind the pillows because of the overdose of embarrassing cliches
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I don't know. Transformers was pretty cool...
                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Lynch didn't do Naked Lunch. That was David Cronenberg. A weird movie for sure. Never got around to reading Burroughs' book, and after seeing the movie it's not on my short list of must reads.

Comment

Working...
                  X