No announcement yet.

Growing up. Mixed messages.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parents are both Republicans and so am I, but I came to that decision on my own. My core belief is that if you want something you need to earn it. That means no government handouts, which means no Democrats. I also am a strong supporter of states' rights and think the federal government should only exist to manage the states and defend the country.

Somehow the world got on just fine without Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid before FDR took office. I've even read that the value of the dollar was so high in the 1920s that the average salary was something like $100,000 in today's money. I don't like slavery, but I have to admit that I'd be on the South's side in the Civil War.
    Scott

Comment

I wasnt influenced by daddy or mama. I analyze things before I decide anything. I have looked at both parties and have decided neither is what I could support. The repuklicans and dems are soooooo sold out to corporate america and international bankers that I could never support them.

I try to treat people like I want to be treated. The political partys are selfish and greedy. They make choices based on how much it benifits them and not the people they represent. (nafta.gatt and the other world govt crap)

I couldnt take a bribe (campaign contribution) and sell my vote to the highest bidder. They say the laws the pass for business will create competition and blah blah blah but all Ive seen over the past 20 years or more is fewer companies competing and huge corporations doing what they want when they want to. I have 3 choices for TV. Comcast,Direct and Dish. Many years ago before mergers I had many many more choices and the rates were cheaper.

My daddy and mama didnt have to tell me outsourcing jobs and laying good people off for short term stock gains is wrong. They didnt have to tell me that selling out the american people to international interests was wrong. No one taught me that moving manufacturing jobs overseas and ruining peoples lives and communities for short term stock gains was wrong. No one had to teach me that international free trade agreements that screw american workers is wrong. I wouldnt want to lose a great paying job with benifits so a suit could make a few more million so I wouldnt allow corporations to do that. Mama and Daddy didnt teach me that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        Somehow the world got on just fine without Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid before FDR took office. I've even read that the value of the dollar was so high in the 1920s that the average salary was something like $100,000 in today's money. I don't like slavery, but I have to admit that I'd be on the South's side in the Civil War.
        no, the WORLD wasn't ok back then
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Endrik,
          The funny thing is, about political terms and how they are used...
          I consider myself an American conservative now, but if it were 1775, I would have been called a liberal (progressive), because of feelings towards British rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            no, the WORLD wasn't ok back then
            Sorry, the USA was fine back then. Europe was recovering from WWI.

And there's no law in the US restricting us to only two parties. It's mostly the media that ignores any other parties that are on the ballot. People aren't aware of the candidates so they don't get any votes. Case in point: Ron Paul. 9/10 people who have read about Ron Paul are voting for him. The problem is only 1/10 have read about him.
            Last edited by Spivonious; 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
              Endrik,
              The funny thing is, about political terms and how they are used...
              I consider myself an American conservative now, but if it were 1775, I would have been called a liberal (progressive), because of feelings towards British rule.
              yep, these days every term has so many different meanings, that's why I don't really like to categorize myself
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                Sorry, the USA was fine back then. Europe was recovering from WWI.
                yup, the economy in US was ridiculous

Comment

Working...
                X