Tom Scholz and Mike Huckabee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
    Not totally true. Huckabee is playing it live with Barry Goudreau who was the other guitarist in Boston for the first few years. Tom wrote, arranged, played all guitars and recorded that song. He wants it stopped because they have been passing it off as Goudreau being the original boston guitarist and that Huckabee has the bans endorsement ...
    And THAT is not totally true. Huckabee has never said that Boston endorses him and has only said that Barry Goudreau was in the band - which he was for 3 years and his picture is on two albums. Goudreau campaigned with him in Iowa, and if "Barry Goudreau of Boston" wants to endorse him, he has the right.

If others jump to the wrong conclusion, that's their problem. And as long as Scholz gets his ASCAP fee for the performance of the song, he really has no other gripe, any more than Skynyrd do because he plays Sweet Home Alabama.

I wonder if Tom would be as anxious to address the rumors that him riding Brad Delp's ass may have contributed to his suicide? Probably not....
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
      I wonder if Tom would be as anxious to address the rumors that him riding Brad Delp's ass may have contributed to his suicide? Probably not....

OH SHIT !

Comment

Rich .. I never said that he was SAYING the band was endorsing him .. Tom is bothered that it will be assumed with Barry playing guitar and them doing boston material that people will think they have the endorsment of the band ..

I LIVE here.. it's all over local news ... I know what is being reported.

And as far as Brads suicide, it's been noted up here that Brad had been depressed for YEARS. He was a giver and rarely got in return . This had nothing to do with Tom and everything to do with Brad needing outside intervention and no one coming to the plate and recognizing how serious it was ...

I think Tom is a controlling pain in the ass but at the end of the day you cannot force someone to do what Brad did .. it's an internal struggle.. trust me, I know personally

This isn't any different than Bruce Springstein demanding that McCain stop using his song and there was one other that escapes me at the moment ..

FWIW .. I was at the Brad Delp memorial concert in Boston and even in a time of coming together these guys couldn't get along. Tom would not play on stage alone with the original band, it had to be ALL the members. Sib REFUSED to be a part of ANY reunion even in the memory of Brad
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

He should be happy he's getting someone to play his music

I really have bad thing for musicians and their political opinions and wish they'd ALL just STFU on politics. anyone who lets any musician affect there beliefs or stance on an issues or opinions like a dickhead like Bono for example shouldnt be voting...just my .02.

Just because one love's Metallica doesnt mean Kirk Hammet is the words greatest guitar player
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Doesn't ASCAP only apply if you release the song for sale? Nothing is owed for playing the music live, IIRC. If that's the case, there are a ton of crappy teenage cover bands that owe a shitload of money...
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I agree with you about the political opinion stuff.. that was why Tom stated in his letter that Boston has NEVER endorsed a canidate. It gets under my skin when musicans and actors use their fame to push their beliefs on you as though you aren't smart enough to make up your own mind
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                I had one of those several years ago and it had a solid wood body. It was probably agathis but it was definitely solid wood, I took the neck off to check.

also, I've seen pics with him using a P-bass as well, so I don't know if those are his basses or if he's picking up whatever the band at the event is using. Probably depends on the event.
                The one I was setting up for a friend's son was identical to that, except it was red, and there was a big chip out of the bottom where it had been dropped. Maybe they're not all, but this one most certainly was particle board.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                  Doesn't ASCAP only apply if you release the song for sale? Nothing is owed for playing the music live, IIRC. If that's the case, there are a ton of crappy teenage cover bands that owe a shitload of money...

The venues pay fees that give blanket coverage. Not sure on the particulars, but I know it applies to places that have live bands playing covers &/or DJs. IIRC, the small restaurant/bar my wife worked at years ago even paid the minimum fee to cover their juke box. I have no idea what cover bands that play private parties are supposed to do, but I bet there's some fine print somewhere that says they're supposed to pay fees.

Comment

Mike's night job - at least he upgraded that bass!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                      Rich .. I never said that he was SAYING the band was endorsing him .. Tom is bothered that it will be assumed with Barry playing guitar and them doing boston material that people will think they have the endorsment of the band ..

I LIVE here.. it's all over local news ... I know what is being reported.

And as far as Brads suicide, it's been noted up here that Brad had been depressed for YEARS. He was a giver and rarely got in return . This had nothing to do with Tom and everything to do with Brad needing outside intervention and no one coming to the plate and recognizing how serious it was ...

I think Tom is a controlling pain in the ass but at the end of the day you cannot force someone to do what Brad did .. it's an internal struggle.. trust me, I know personally

This isn't any different than Bruce Springstein demanding that McCain stop using his song and there was one other that escapes me at the moment ..

FWIW .. I was at the Brad Delp memorial concert in Boston and even in a time of coming together these guys couldn't get along. Tom would not play on stage alone with the original band, it had to be ALL the members. Sib REFUSED to be a part of ANY reunion even in the memory of Brad
                      Well, you're right in that it's largely an internal struggle, but I do believe that someone who is vulnerable can be driven to suicide - and there is suicide in my family history too. I'm sure your experience validates your POV, as mine does for me. Neither of us knows their experience, but I have read that repeatedly on various websites. Just saying, I doubt he'd want to even hear the question whether it's true or false.

Springsten was actually Reagan with Born in the USA; it was John Mellencamp griping at McCain over Our Country. He can sell pickupo trucks with it though, that's fine!

But according to the linked article, this only happened in Iowa which is long done. So why even bring it up if he already stopped doing it, if not just for publicity, or to publicly make his political feelings known without having to pay for the PR?

I like the guy's music and I loved my Rockman when they were the hot ticket, but I think he's making it more than it was. And I am not a Huckabee supporter either, I just don't feel it's a big deal.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                        The one I was setting up for a friend's son was identical to that, except it was red, and there was a big chip out of the bottom where it had been dropped. Maybe they're not all, but this one most certainly was particle board.
                        I believe you, just saying not all of them were. Of course I had the next model up that had both P and J pickups, maybe that's it. I know that also made a neckthrough with a 5-piece maple/walnut neck and maple body, that definitely wasn't particle board. Anyway, the caption for that pic in the article read that he was jaming with some other band, so my guess is that it was that band's bassist's bass. I'm sure even on the Arkansas governor's salary he didn't have to buy a $69 bass!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                          ASCAP and BMI charge fees for any live playing of a song that's been released by a major recording artist, as well as playing it on the radio or a juke box. Bars pay fees yearly to cover this, especially the ones who have a license to put on live music.

If those crappy teenage cover bands are playing in their garages for themselves, they don't owe. But if they play for an audience - technically even at a backyard party - they owe fees for performing cover songs.

Obviously no one's cruising the parties of America looking to collect, but the wording of the law is such that those performers are liable to pay. Any bar with a license for live music pays the fee yearly, a flat fee that is disbursed to artists by percentage of the take, basd on how much airplay their song is getting on the radio.

This idea is probably new to you, but it's been done that way for nearly 100 years in the USA. That's why bars that don't usually have bands won't let you just come in and play for free. And those that do allow that are unaware of the law.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I think it would be funny if Huckabee ditched that Boston bullshit and started playing "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" instead.

Comment

It's not just Boston ...

The songs are catchphrases," frontman Randy Bachman, who penned both 1970s hits, explained to Rolling Stone magazine. "You're hearing something that's familiar, warm, makes you feel good. And you used to dance to it."

Cochrane's tour mate, registered Democrat John Mellencamp, politely asked Republican presidential candidate John McCain last week to stop using Our Country during his rallies.

McCain had been using Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down during his rallies, until he was asked to stop using it by the artist. Petty had previously threatened to sue George W. Bush from using the same song during the 2000 election.

There's a long line of Republican candidates who've been stopped from using particular songs for their rallies. Bruce Springsteen asked Ronald Reagan to discontinue using his Born In The U.S.A. during the 1984 elections. Bobby McFerrin asked George Bush Sr. to stop using his Don't Worry Be Happy during the 1988 elections. And when Bob Dole ran for president in 1996, his campaign office created the unauthorized Dole Man, a take on Sam & Dave's Soul Man, and the artists again voiced their displeasure.

But what's a Republican to do when all the best campaign songs are written by Democrats? The music industry has traditionally been a liberal stronghold, and statistics compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics during the 2004 U.S. elections found 82 per cent of contributions from the music industry, worth $1.1 million, went to the Democratic Party.

"Certain artists don't want to be affiliated with certain politicians, and if a politician is playing an artists' tune, it seems like that artist is endorsing that politician," says Brunger. "Music fans are of a diverse group, they don't all align with one affiliation. A musician can't risk turning away fans with politics they don't agree with.

Comment

I dunno, maybe the right-wingers can convince Stryper to let them use of of their tunes. :ROTF:
                                _________________________________________________
                                "Artists should be free to spend their days mastering their craft so that working people can toil away in a more beautiful world."
                                - Ken M

Comment

Working...
                                X