No announcement yet.

What makes a guitarist good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good sense of melody. The greatest guitar solo's of all time are usually the least complicated yet the most melodic and appropriate for the song.

BTW... the greatest guitar god of all time.. living or dead is Uli Jon Roth.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      A good sense of melody. The greatest guitar solo's of all time are usually the least complicated yet the most melodic and appropriate for the song.

BTW... the greatest guitar god of all time.. living or dead is Uli Jon Roth.
      Amen!!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        Uli Jon Roth.
        Never liked his vibrato.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
          Never liked his vibrato.
          4 seasons = dulllllllll from what i've heard.....

i've also never seen vids of him displaying any real stage presence

Comment

eric johnson. nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
              4 seasons = dulllllllll from what i've heard.....

i've also never seen vids of him displaying any real stage presence
              Yeah he's one of those guitarplayers all the old goats worship, but I'm accostumed to more. :ROTF:
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

i was just watching 3/4 vids of uli on youtube and i noticed a couple of things:

his phrasing is kind of disjointed. he seems to finish them rather abruptly a lot of the time.

his vibrato sounds a little tooo wide for my liking.

he seems to phrase in his own free time a lot, and as a result some of his phrases aren't actally in time with the music.

the stuff he plays up at the 36th fret sounds shit.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                  i was just watching 3/4 vids of uli on youtube and i noticed a couple of things:

his phrasing is kind of disjointed. he seems to finish them rather abruptly a lot of the time.

his vibrato sounds a little tooo wide for my liking.

he seems to phrase in his own free time a lot, and as a result some of his phrases aren't actally in time with the music.

the stuff he plays up at the 36th fret sounds shit.
                  And...?
                  So you can do better? Uli fucking rules. I failed to mention him, but I thought this was a thread about technique, not guitarists.
                  Yeah, there's been some horrid clips of him, but he is great when he's on.

Comment

he strikes me as being ALRIIITE but he's one of those guitarsits that is good but doesn't necessarily capture anyone with his playing. i liked some of his stuff in the scorpions when he was rockier. i always liked the he's a woman she's a man solo. but i think he's gone into tat phases of having been good and now just looking a bit jaded and pretentious.

Comment

Guess I'm in the "old goat" club, but I knew that.
                      I'm with on Eric Johnson, SS, but for blues, not all round rock.

Comment

Well, one thing is certain.."good" is subjective.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                        X