No announcement yet.

Another College Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The answer is to allow the good students to be armed if they choose. People need a chance to shoot back. Most colleges are liberal left wing anti gun and dont allow concealed carry for there students.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
      The answer is to allow the good students to be armed if they choose. People need a chance to shoot back. Most colleges are liberal left wing anti gun and dont allow concealed carry for there students.
      Oh yes. Clearly the solution to violence on campus is to arm the students. It'll be great at keg parties if everyone has guns. Hell yes! Sloppy drunk teenagers with guns and alcohol - that's brilliant.

It cracks me up the way Americans think putting more guns on the street is a good idea. It is easily one of the most absurd concepts popular in our culture.

And before you dismiss me as some liberal left wing passivist blah-blah-blah, you should know I have fired guns, shot compound bows, and have worked on cruise missiles (I have more violent credentials if you need them). My problem is that almost every person I know that has a gun is either:

a) a complete and utter moron

b) slightly unstable in some way that makes me uncomfortable knowing they are armed

c) doesn't know how to use it much less care for it and keep it safe from children

The number of people that can actually handle a gun and be responsible with it is very small.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by sevser View Post
        I don't hit my kids and they are pretty damn compassionate people...

It is more about the media and the fact that reporting this shit gets everyone off...

The media has planted this seed into the heads of everyone...I wonder how many distraught, fucked up people who have done these shootings, would have maybe just shot themselves if they hadn’t watched all the shit on the news all the time.

News = evil...sensationalizing all the bad shit that people talk about...freak out about...just so they can be the No 1 reporter...or anchor...or news team. All about $$$

The fact of the matter is…Most of the fucked up kids out there HAVE been smacked around and kept “In place” suppressed…They are the ones freaking out. My kids do not fear me…but they respect me because I am honest and they know they can trust me…Because of what comes out of my mouth…Truth!

Also…there have been many studies that show…per capita in comparison to all recorded history with the wars and shit…we are in the most peaceful times…so

Anyone who thinks we need to go back to the paddle and suppressing our kids mentally…It would appear that is not the answer…but the problem.
        good point man
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          My problem is that almost every person I know that has a gun is either:

b) slightly unstable in some way that makes me uncomfortable knowing they are armed

c) doesn't know how to use it much less care for it and keep it safe from children

The number of people that can actually handle a gun and be responsible with it is very small.

Well.. please count me in with the small number. I have had guns for years, they are well isolated from kids ability to get to them. Never had an incident, accidental discharge, or reason to pull the gun. Just basic common sense. I agree that guns do not belong in everyone's hands. Hell, half the people who drive shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel - they treat a 6,000 lb missle like they are trying to walk through a crowded hallway.

This issue relates to the way society is now. Excuses for everything. Most everyone feels "entitled", it is always someone elses fault. What ever happened to taking up a sport to get your aggression out?? Football kept me out of trouble when i was a kid.
          Or if you are not athletic... take up another hobby that relaxes you - go fishing, paint a picture, write a song. Get off the damn computers and video games, and learn to interact with other kids. Whatever happened to neighborhood ball games, kick the can, etc?

When we were kids and people felt left out, singled out, or picked on - sure - they acted out. But it wasn't in this fatalistic big finale. When they finally snapped, they took the bully on, commited suicide, or maybe burned something down. They didn't (as far as I ever recall) take out a bunch of people around them. I remember hearing of the occasional adult snapping like that because of a layoff, or a denied insurance claims, or some other wrong done to them. Not because they felt they didn't fit in.

And if this guy had a problem, and then went off his meds.. that is just stupidity on his part. It is a shame that he hurt all these other families

Comment

Oh yes. Clearly the solution to violence on campus is to arm the students. It'll be great at keg parties if everyone has guns. Hell yes! Sloppy drunk teenagers with guns and alcohol - that's brilliant.

It cracks me up the way Americans think putting more guns on the street is a good idea. It is easily one of the most absurd concepts popular in our culture.

And before you dismiss me as some liberal left wing passivist blah-blah-blah, you should know I have fired guns, shot compound bows, and have worked on cruise missiles (I have more violent credentials if you need them). My problem is that almost every person I know that has a gun is either:

What is absurd is your arguement. They allow alcohol on campuses dont they? How many alcohol related deathes are there every year? How many get ranted about? How many innocent people die as a result of LEGAL alcohol? No compare that to the amount of gun deaths from a nut job. You anti gunners are usually pro alcohol because prohibition doesnt work. Well it didnt and neither will banning guns. As a parent its my responsibility to raise my kid and part of that rasing will and has been safe gun handling. If they go off to college they will be armed if this crap continues to get worse. How many lives could have been saved if ONE teacher was trained and armedd at Columbine?? What about VT? How many could have been saved if one person was armed and trained and shot the nut job before he could kill more? That nut job that shot up the church is CO was taken out by a member who was armed. How many would have died if that person wasnt shot?

Outlawing guns wont work. If some criminal or nut job knows there victims may be armed, maybe they will think twice about going postal and get some help.

Take a look at these alcohol related stats and tell me its better to have alcohol on a campus than guns? Alcohol is legal (as it should be) and it causes more innocent deaths every year than guns do. (unless you count the deer population) ..

There are more rapes on college campuses than gun deaths. Do we outlaw the penis? No because that would be dumb. Do we outlaw the alcohol that is involved in most college rapes? No because prohibition didnt work. Where is the outrage over these crimes? Why arent people whining so much about crimes that are more previlent than gun crimes? Its because most people are anti gun and thats a fact.. So much for the 2nd amendment.

Im saying we have to have the right to shoot back if some nut job goes postal. Thats all I want is the legal right to shoot back if attacked. Most college campuses deny that constituional right.

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-dr...tatistics.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
              Well.. please count me in with the small number. I have had guns for years, they are well isolated from kids ability to get to them. Never had an incident, accidental discharge, or reason to pull the gun. Just basic common sense. I agree that guns do not belong in everyone's hands.
              Then I'm assuming you don't think that arming America's campuses is a good idea.

Hell, half the people who drive shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel - they treat a 6,000 lb missle like they are trying to walk through a crowded hallway.
              I absolutely agree. The difference here is that it is almost impossible to have a life without a car (at least in the US). There are places where this is an exception but for the most part you are completely screwed if you can't drive.

This issue relates to the way society is now. Excuses for everything. Most everyone feels "entitled", it is always someone elses fault.
              And to go along with that you get the knee-jerk short-sighted reactionary "solutions". Arming students isn't the answer just like the joke that's become of our airport security isn't the solution to airplane terrorism.

When we were kids and people felt left out, singled out, or picked on - sure - they acted out. But it wasn't in this fatalistic big finale. When they finally snapped, they took the bully on, commited suicide, or maybe burned something down. They didn't (as far as I ever recall) take out a bunch of people around them. I remember hearing of the occasional adult snapping like that because of a layoff, or a denied insurance claims, or some other wrong done to them. Not because they felt they didn't fit in.
              It's picked up recently for sure but there have always been bastards around to kill people. 20 years ago when I was in high school a girl in my class was shot and paralyzed by her distraught ex-boyfriend. Just because the prick didn't kill a bunch of people doesn't make it much different - there is no doubt that he was trying to kill her and he would have shot more people if they'd been handy.

Simply put, mass killings are nothing new in America. The frequency of school killings has certainly increased. This is America after all, we follow trends - the current thing that's "in" for mass killing is at schools. Don't worry, it will be something new in 10 years. Also, I wonder if you were to look at the numbers as percentage of population if things would look so different. Heck, school bombings started in the early 1900's. I'm sure that the KKK killed far more people than our recent school killings.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                What is absurd is your arguement. They allow alcohol on campuses dont they? How many alcohol related deathes are there every year? How many get ranted about? How many innocent people die as a result of LEGAL alcohol? No compare that to the amount of gun deaths from a nut job. You anti gunners are usually pro alcohol because prohibition doesnt work. Well it didnt and neither will banning guns. As a parent its my responsibility to raise my kid and part of that rasing will and has been safe gun handling. If they go off to college they will be armed if this crap continues to get worse. How many lives could have been saved if ONE teacher was trained and armedd at Columbine?? What about VT? How many could have been saved if one person was armed and trained and shot the nut job before he could kill more? That nut job that shot up the church is CO was taken out by a member who was armed. How many would have died if that person wasnt shot?

Outlawing guns wont work. If some criminal or nut job knows there victims may be armed, maybe they will think twice about going postal and get some help.

Take a look at these alcohol related stats and tell me its better to have alcohol on a campus than guns? Alcohol is legal (as it should be) and it causes more innocent deaths every year than guns do. (unless you count the deer population) ..

There are more rapes on college campuses than gun deaths. Do we outlaw the penis? No because that would be dumb. Do we outlaw the alcohol that is involved in most college rapes? No because prohibition didnt work. Where is the outrage over these crimes? Why arent people whining so much about crimes that are more previlent than gun crimes? Its because most people are anti gun and thats a fact.. So much for the 2nd amendment.

Im saying we have to have the right to shoot back if some nut job goes postal. Thats all I want is the legal right to shoot back if attacked. Most college campuses deny that constituional right.

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-dr...tatistics.html
                You would definitely be on my (b) list of people that shouldn't have guns - there is a good chance you'd make be excluded due to (a) as well.

As for banning the penis, lets start with yours. There is no need for you to reproduce.

- Newc

Comment

Then I'm assuming you don't think that arming America's campuses is a good idea.
                  And to go along with that you get the knee-jerk short-sighted reactionary "solutions". Arming students isn't the answer just like the joke that's become of our airport security isn't the solution to airplane terrorism.
                  It's picked up recently for sure but there have always been bastards around to kill people. 20 years ago when I was in high school a girl in my class was shot and paralyzed by her distraught ex-boyfriend. Just because the prick didn't kill a bunch of people doesn't make it much different - there is no doubt that he was trying to kill her and he would have shot more people if they'd been handy.

Simply put, mass killings are nothing new in America. The frequency of school killings has certainly increased. This is America after all, we follow trends - the current thing that's "in" for mass killing is at schools. Don't worry, it will be something new in 10 years. Also, I wonder if you were to look at the numbers as percentage of population if things would look so different. Heck, school bombings started in the early 1900's. I'm sure that the KKK killed far more people than our recent school killings.

Yep - I agree adding a mass amount of guns to campuses is a horrible idea - it'd be a wild west show at most campus parties after a few beers.
                  Hell - many adults can't be responsible. How would you expect an average 18 yr old away from home for the first time to excercise restraint and good decision making ability.
                  Plus try securing pistols in a dorm room.
                  BUT... not saying I would mind having teachers or SOMEONE trained and armed... I just have an issue with a gunman showing up and knowing he/she will not be challenged with a gun back in his face.
                  Kind of like being in a bank w/ no security. If I was ever in that situation, I would think long and hard about drawing. Most likely wouldn't unless they were actively shooting and i could get a clean bead.. but I am not trained for that stuff, and would be leery of a gunfight and/or a sleeper or undercover cop being present also. No hero s**t for me, but if I am in danger, I'm going down fighting. Hollowpoints will at least keep overpenetration worries to a minimum.

And I hear ya - the airport precautions look OK on paper, but are highly ineffectual. And air marshalls !?? C'mon - you can spot a good number of them. They need to be able to blend better, yet be aware of eachother

OK - sorry to get on a rant - short answer - there is no easy answer to this phenomenon, except to not give them air time and attention that they crave. That would hopefully cut down on the copycat stuff

Comment

I hate guns ..its way too fuckin easy for people to obtain them legally and illegally. Sorry I'm not jumping in the middle of the gun debate b/c whatever people have to say no matter if its 100pages of bullshit....it will never change my mind.

Skynard had it right in mister saturday night special...ain't good for nothin, made for killin and puttin a man 6 feet in a hole......
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

FWIW, alcohol is banned on many college campuses. It doesn't mean kids didn't sneak it in, but if they got caught it meant instant loss of on-campus housing and criminal charges if they were underage.
                      Scott

Comment

Alcohol isn't allowed on campus unless you are over 21. That doesn't mean you can drink in class, but you can drink in your dorm if you're of age. Am I the only one here who goes to NIU? Well, I guess I graduated in December.

Comment

If you use alcohol properly, you get drunk...

If you use a handgun properly, you kill someone...

Big difference...
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Bengal, ..ummm..that logic truly sucked..man!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill,
                              Everyone is talking about alcohol on campus like it's the same thing as arming students. With that mindframe, my logic makes perfect sense...

EDIT: Bill, I know where you are coming from and I know what you're trying to do with that comment so let me beat you to the punch. You are right, I dislike guns. If it was up to me, we would round them up and dump them in the ocean and make artifical coral reefs. I don't like them. Nothing anyone can say will make me change my mind. I have never needed one. I have never had any kind of situation arise in my 39+ years on the planet that would make me go out and buy one. Next arguement is that I'm sheltered. OK, I'm cool with that. Doesn't mean that if I lived in a more dangerous location I would feel any differently. Guns kill people. It's what they do. It's their job. They are not a deterent to anything. They just kill. Period. I have a problem with that. But that's all I'll say. I'm sure a mega shitstorm is coming about how I owe all those with guns a hearty "thank you" for keeping me proctected. About how guns don't kill, people kill. People with knives kill. Alcohol kills. Cars kill. Asbestos kills. Krispy Kreme kills. Blah blah blah blah blah. But like I said at the top, you can't change my mind just like I can't change yours. It is what it is...
                              Last edited by Bengal; 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM.
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

That's cool, own your convictions.

What came to mind is all the alcohol related crimes I had to deal with for years on end..including shootings at clubs, domestic fights, and etc.

I was looking at it from that perspective.
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X