Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook us all up with some new tunes!!

Here's the rules:

Post up an album that you think is good from start to finish, and that the majority of us aren't familiar with. It can be old, or new, and any style of music you want. It doesn't have to be completely obscure, but most of us have heard Dark Side of the Moon, so use your own best judgement.

Name the artist, the album, and what makes you think it's good.

I'll start.

Talk Talk - It's My Life

I can listen to this over and over, start to finish. I don't have a clue what genre it is. It came out in 1984, and definitely has typical 80s elements, but it's no Duran Duran. The songs are very moody, but not depressing at all, and the album was mixed so well. It's one of those that you can crank the stereo, turn off the lights, and immerse yourself in it.

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

From the man who produced DSOM at Abbey Road
    Studios, I've always liked his work.

Comment

Dark Angel - Time does not Heal
      I must have listened to it at least 100 times. released in 1991. From start to finish, its simply awesome. Very catchy riffs, clean vocals...progressive metal is what I would classify it as. even though some classify it under progressive death metal.
      Sam

Comment

Some call Duarte an SRV clone, and while there are obvious SRV elements in his playing, his style is still quite distinctive.

I never get sick of this album. Duarte's second album, Tailspin Headwhack is also pretty cool, though less in the texas blues style. Sadly his subsequent releases have been rather lacking.

Seeing Chris live is quite a treat.

Comment

There was only 1 album that I liked the first time I heard it.
          Machine Head - Burn my eyes

A few I liked after a few listens like the first Korn album and Early Megadeth.

Comment

Probably Killing Joke's latest (2003) "Killing Joke". Not too many people seem to know about these guys, but everyone that I turn on to them seems to love them. Maybe the JCF population are already into them.

In another direction, Milla Jovovich "The Divine Comedy" (1994). I got a promo copy of this when it came out and listed simply because she was so hot. The album is really good. Kind of folk / rock I guess. I am guessing it won't be to everyones taste, but many people like it when I play it.

Comment

AC/DC Flick of the Switch
              2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
              2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
              2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
              2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
              2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
              2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
              2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
              2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
              2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
              1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
              1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbug View Post
                Probably Killing Joke's latest (2003) "Killing Joke". Not too many people seem to know about these guys, but everyone that I turn on to them seems to love them. Maybe the JCF population are already into them.

In another direction, Milla Jovovich "The Divine Comedy" (1994). I got a promo copy of this when it came out and listed simply because she was so hot. The album is really good. Kind of folk / rock I guess. I am guessing it won't be to everyones taste, but many people like it when I play it.

I have that album, and you're right. She's a great singer.

I'm gonna have to give the newer Killing Joke a try. I'm more familiar with their (much) older material.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Evile

http://www.myspace.com/evileuk

I just heard about this band and man I am blown away. It's old school thrash. The band is going to be on Gigantour supporting Megadeth I think.
                  I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great idea, zeegs.

UFO is well known, I know. But I will mention an album by them anyway. One I have listened to countless of times. One that will never fade.
                    On the surface, it sounds like old man, crap heavy rock. But somehow, this is one of the albums that is forever stored in my head as a pure genious, quality heavy rock monster album. Thanks to Mogg & Schenker.

UFO: STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT (live, 1979)

Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by cdwillis View Post
                      Evile

I just heard about this band and man I am blown away. It's old school thrash. The band is going to be on Gigantour supporting Megadeth I think.
                      Thats some cool shit ,,thanks
                      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

"Pride & Glory" by erm, Pride & Glory.
                        I use it as a set-up CD for PA rigs, and I guarantee whenever I put it on, someone will come up, say it's brilliant and ask who it is. They then fall on the floor when I tell them it came out in the early 90s.

This one will be one, like "Dark Side of the Moon", that everybody has heard of, but maybe not heard. Sex Pistols "Never Mind the Bollocks", still a fucking great piece of vinyl, 30 years on. I had to check the other day that someone hadn't slipped a remastered copy into my collection because it just sounded full-on, just right.
                        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by cdwillis View Post
                          Evile

Wow, I'm really diggin' this. Thanks! Gotta be in the right mood for it though.
                          Guitars:
                          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                          Amp:
                          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Just perfect.

Comment

I Mother Earth - Dig

The first album from this fantastic Canadian cult band.
                              The sound and the production is fantastic, it was produced by Mike Clink who did Guns'n'Roses - Appetite For Destruction and Megadeth - Rust In Peace among many other things. Eddie Van Halen loaned his guitars for this album's sessions.
                              It's hard to describe the style. It's hard rock with heavy funk, latin and psychedelic elements. It's very groove oriented, the rhythms are just amazing. There's a lot of latin percussion on the album. Off course there's a lot of hooks and great guitar riffs too. The guitar work is very interesting. The guitar player (Jagori Tanna) is one of the very few who is incredible on guitar and bass both. The bass lines are some of the best ever, a lot of slapping and other cool shit. They have a lot of jam moments. Overall the album sounds very powerfull yet very psychedelic and melodic.
                              I've never heard anything similar to this album.
                              I can say it influenced Tool a lot. The members of Rush became huge fans and appeared on the later IME albums.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X