Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone make beer?

I've been homebrewing for a year now, and have made some
    truly fantastic beers from John Bull, and Cooper's mixes.

Problem is, I have gotten these Mr. Beer mixes (with the booster sugar packs), as a gift...
    And frankly, they aren't all that great...anyone ever use these to make a good beer? Like, adding a bit of brown sugar, or molasses, or honey, to get them more stout? I also hate dealing with the booster packs. Every time I've used them I end up with ropey, cloudy, beer like stuff.

Any Mr. Beer recipes or hints? I don't want to throw more money at them, like buying their UME mixes.

Cheers!

I don't know much, but I thought about doing a mr. beer for fun. A buddy of mine has a SERIOUS setup that takes up half his garage and cost about $2500.

He suggested to buy and use a glass carboy and something else I can't remember instead of the Mr. Beer "keg" for the whole thing. I won't see him again until Jan 7 or so, but if I get more details I'll post back.

The net of what he said is - ensure you follow the temperatures exactly, and that you keep contamination down - glass and stainless steel is better for that. Also, regular sugar isn't as good as other types - can't remember if it was corn or beet sugar over refined cane sugar.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

My friend has a 6 gallon setup...my beer is as good or better than his.
      I'm having great results with the small Mr. Beer keg, just tweaking the recipes a bit. My advice is stay away from the Mr. Beer recipes. Fortunately,
      there is a beermaking supply store close to me.

I just want to know a good way to tweak the ones I got as a gift,
      and not have to throw them out...Canadian Lager, Colorado, and Vienna.

Comment

I make beer disappear.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          I make beer disappear.
          I knew that would be coming....

From whence, I knew not, though.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            I make beer disappear.
            You and me both, brother.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

mmm beer...
              Scott

Comment

I've been brewing for a few years, but I've never even heard of Mr. Beer. Sounds like a rather funky setup.

Comment

get some fineing gel to take the cloudyness out of your beer.
                  yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster View Post
                    get some fineing gel to take the cloudyness out of your beer.
                    Thanks, beer monster...I mean Cookie Monster.
                    I'm going to add just a touch of molasses, to thicken it up a bit.
                    Worth a try, anyways.

Comment

i used to make home brew with my dad as a teenyboper, we used to have a 18 gallon rotation constantly on going (as it was getting drunk as quick as we were making it) with the ratio of 3:1 of lager and bitter. with the talk of the price of a pint going up from £2.20 to around £4.00 (due to crop shortages..yeah right!!) i think i'll be getting my brewing gear from out of the back of the shed some time soon...
                      yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

Comment

Yes. I do all grain-brewing, though, so I can't really help you with that kit stuff. You should be able to get a decent setup for much less than 2500$, too, at least I did (paid around 150€ for the hardware over here in Germany.. could be much less in the US).

Comment

You can count on the Europeans to know what to do when it comes to beer, or bier, respectively!
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I've done a fair bit of homebrewing, but only top fermenting ales.

these are the kinds of beers I like, they don't have any added sugar...

English Bitter
                            • 5 pounds amber malt extract
                            • 1.5-2 ounces Cascade, Fuggles, Kent Goldings, or Willamette bittering hops (7.5-10 HBU)
                            • .5 ounce Cascade, Fuggles, Kent Goldings, or Willamette finishing hops
                            • Wyeast #1968 or #1084
                            Pale Ale (India)
                            • 6-7 pounds amber malt extract
                            • 1 pound crystal malt specialty grain
                            • 1/2 pound Cara-Pils mild toasted malt specialty grain
                            • 3-4 ounces Cascade, Fuggles or Kent Goldings bittering hops (10-20 HBU)
                            • 1 ounce Cascade finishing hops
                            • Wyeast #1056 or #2112
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I'm a homebrewer too. I have to start with the all-grain method yet but I got some nice beer with Cooper's bitter and mild brown ale. Too bad this year I did not have any free time for homebrewing

Comment

Working...
                              X