MP3 Laws Getting Crazier Everyday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3 Laws Getting Crazier Everyday

Nice to see more tax dollars getting wasted...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22251370/

I particularily like this part:

Meanwhile, across the blogosphere, outraged audiophiles argue the interpretation of this vague 69-page bill written in dense legalese. Does it mean you can't make an MP3 of music you've already purchased? Does it mean you can't make a mix CD and give it to your crush? Are you allowed to make an MP3 of music you've purchased as long as you don't place it in a file which others can access?

Scary thought if any of these interpretations are correct. If I lend you a CD to listen to, is that gonna be against the law now as well?

Can I still listen to my own CD's?
    -Adam

Comment

Yes, but you can't let someone else listen to them at the same time, as that constitutes a public performance which requires payment of royalties.

What you CAN do, is buy your CDs used so the recording industry collapses in on itself so the musicians and music fans can rebuild it without regard for who gets the money.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I bet that's the next thing they go after, the used CD market.

Comment

I buy lots of CDs, but I get them all used through amazon.
          So, if a CD is recorded with used equipmant is the CD pre-used?
          Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Nobody's laughing at my jokes, and even worse 6 weeks (4 months, really) and still no guitar
            -Adam

Comment

Originally posted by anuske9 View Post
              Nobody's laughing at my jokes, and even worse 6 weeks (4 months, really) and still no guitar
              I laughed, quite loudly, at your "Can I still listen to my own CD's" line. That was quite amusing.

No guitar though? You need to get a guitar FFS - I have 5, you can have one of them if you give me a bass.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

someday they will ban cover songs too. "YOU CANT PLAY ANY METALLICA SONGS ANYMORE"
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by anuske9 View Post
                  Can I still listen to my own CD's?
                  No, you can't! Send them all to me, or you go to jail. :ROTF:
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                    Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Yes, but you can't let someone else listen to them at the same time, as that constitutes a public performance which requires payment of royalties.

What you CAN do, is buy your CDs used so the recording industry collapses in on itself so the musicians and music fans can rebuild it without regard for who gets the money.

Comment

Record companies wallowing deeper and deeper in their own crap. It's pretty funny. The impact this is going to have on every day life is nihil and minute at best, the feds aren't going to be busting down your door when you're listening to a CD with a couple of friends in your living room.

I consider it to be the last few twitches of a big, dying SOB. They'll come crashing down soon enough and then the smaller labels, which actually have a heart can put out their quality music. The charts might even become something worthy of listening to again!
                      Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 12-14-2007, 03:42 PM.
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                        someday they will ban cover songs too. "YOU CANT PLAY ANY METALLICA SONGS ANYMORE"
                        Hmmmm, and not being able to cover any more Metallica songs would be a bad thing how?

Comment

This whole MP3 music and file sharing thing has gotten WAY out of hand. The RIAA is bullying money out of everyone in sight.

What's next, RIAA agents on the road taking down license plate numbers of people who're playing loud music in their car that others can hear and calling it public performance. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

-Steve
                          Guitars:
                          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                          Amp:
                          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Are we gonna get to a point where you need to keep your receipt with the cd to prove you actually bought the fuckin' thing?

Comment

Time to take off to the Great White North! It's a beauty way to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X