Sad news for Pratchett fans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news for Pratchett fans.

Speaking as a long-time fan of the man and his books, I can only say that this is a pretty shitty turn of events.

Terry Pratchett wrote:
    11th December 2007

AN EMBUGGERANCE

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet )

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell. I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

Wow, I can't imagine a worse fate for an author than to have your mind go. I have read a number of his books and really enjoyed his sense of humor.

chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

My grandmom had Alzheimer's. Horrible way to live. Towards the end we were all praying for her to die, rather than to live whilst not remembering who she was.
      Scott

Comment

Shit man pratchett wrote the best comedy-fantasy books for me
        Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
        Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

One of my favourite authors, that is sad
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I only recently started getting into his books again. I loved the first Discworld books he did, and some, like "Sourcery" are incredible books, while others are just a pile of crap.
            But I read "Maskerade" last week and "Nightwatch" this week and really enjoyed both of them. I don't think he's hilarious, as he's sometimes described, but he's amusing and very entertaining and knows how to write a fun story.
            I hope his mind holds up for a good long few years yet, his books are some of the only ones I seem to enjoy these days. Modern authors are fucking crap and Dan Brown nicked my idea. *

Which, of course I nicked from Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln, Freke, Gandy etc etc.**

**Sorry, had to put in a Pratchett style "asterisk/monologue" type device.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
            X