X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay away from BFG cards...

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
      Avoid Vista at all costs. Worst OS ever.

I take that back.

After much frustration and tweaks, I've got my machine running smooth as silk. After I get rid of a bit more of the junk software that came installed on it, I'll be good to go.
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Xeno: fantastic post. I agree with everything you say.

Troy: you need to read up on your dual-channel DDR

Cyg: He meant to type PCI-Express. It's the replacement for AGP (and eventually PCI, but no one's really making cards for the PCI-E x1 slots).
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
          Stay away from BFG cards...
          Whys that?
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            Why are you going AMD?
            I'm not a hater of either, (AMD or Intel) but I've been running AMD since the SlotA days. My first AMD build was a 500gigger SlotA, I still have that CPU and mobo btw. I'm the worst pack rat and keep sakes person I've ever known.
            I keep and hang on to everything and my wife hates it.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

EVGA = lifetime warranty if registered within 30 days (not transferable), 90 day Step-Up Program, cross-ship RMA; overclocking and aftermarket cooling does not void warranty.

XFX = Double Lifetime Warranty (fully transferable); overclocking and aftermarket cooling does not void warranty.

BFG = Lifetime Warranty (not transferrable), overclocking, modification and aftermarket cooling voids the warranty.

Originally posted by Soap View Post
              I'm not a hater of either, (AMD or Intel) but I've been running AMD since the SlotA days. My first AMD build was a 500gigger SlotA, I still have that CPU and mobo btw.
              Yes, I've owned 3 AMD systems and 4 Intel systems since around 89. Right now Intel is where you want to go.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Right now Intel is where you want to go.
                +1 Being a long time AMD fan.. I'm going have to agree.
                2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Yes, but the new G92 8800 GTS will smoke the 8800GT. It should be out sometime this month. The new flagship to replace the 8800GTX should be out in February.
                  But the G92 8800GTS will cost more than 250.00... I'm kinda of pissed because I have one of these GTX's and the damn GT comes close it in numbers..

Actually early reports is saying that the G92 isn't that much better than the GT
                  http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12...idia_8800_gts/
                  Last edited by JetFixxxer; 12-10-2007, 05:28 PM.
                  2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                  2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                  2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                  2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                  2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                  2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                  2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                  2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                  2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                  1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                  1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

[QUOTE=xenophobe;1022554]Why are you going AMD?

Originally Posted by LouSiffer
                    Keep in mind, if you use any of the video cards listed above, you are stuck with Vista....no if, ands or butts about it. They all utilize Direct X10. No version of Windows XP will operate those cards. This is why I haven't been in a hurry to build another PC. I hate Vista and DX10 is not that important to me. -Lou

Huh? Sorry, you don't have a clue. Any DX10 card will work in an DX9 system.

QUOTE]

Sorry Xeno, ...but, you obviously were not paying attention. No form of XP will ever run a DX10 based cards. People are claiming they are reverse engineering it, but, since the DX10 platform utilizes a "virtual memory" that XP was never designed for, the most they will do is just make it barely work and you will never get the full potential of DX10. I doubt they will even get that far.

Yes, DX10 will play Dx9 platforms....I never said it wouldn't. Before you act like an ass, make sure you understand what you read.-Lou
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
                      Sorry Xeno, ...but, you obviously were not paying attention. No form of XP will ever run a DX10 based cards. People are claiming they are reverse engineering it, but, since the DX10 platform utilizes a "virtual memory" that XP was never designed for, the most they will do is just make it barely work and you will never get the full potential of DX10. I doubt they will even get that far.

Yes, DX10 will play Dx9 platforms....I never said it wouldn't. Before you act like an ass, make sure you understand what you read.-Lou
                      An ass? Umm.... you're just not being clear then.

You're saing that XP will never run a DX10 based card. That's not true. Any DX10 card will run in a non-DX10 system, but you will not be able to run DX10 mode/features (without a hack of some sort).

All nVidia 8800/ATI 3800 series cards support DX10, but you need to be running on a Vista system to use DX10. They will run just fine in a DX9 only system.

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
                        But the G92 8800GTS will cost more than 250.00... I'm kinda of pissed because I have one of these GTX's and the damn GT comes close it in numbers..
                        The GTX/Ultra is still king of the hill.

I game at 2560x1600 (or scaled to 1920x1200) and only in a few instances does the G92 GTS pull ahead. My GTX still smokes the GT.

I have my GTX bios overclocked to 621/2002.

Comment

Whys that?
                          They're cheap pieces of turd. I've had three, all three took a giant shit soon after buying them and had to be returned. I know other people who've had the same problems. Spend the extra $ for something a little better.

Go with an EVGA.

Comment

An ass? Umm.... you're just not being clear then.

You're saing that XP will never run a DX10 based card. That's not true. Any DX10 card will run in a non-DX10 system, but you will not be able to run DX10 mode/features (without a hack of some sort).

All nVidia 8800/ATI 3800 series cards support DX10, but you need to be running on a Vista system to use DX10. They will run just fine in a DX9 only system.

Yes, that was all quite confusing, and appeared to sound like, a DX10 card will not work in an XP system.
                            Far from the truth, I have a DX10 card (BFG 8800GTS OC2 640MB) which is fully capable in my XP system. And it is faster at games than it would be in Vista (for now) I just can't install DX10. Wow, am I missing out.
                            Crysis looked fanfukintastic, DX10less.

I will not install Vista either cause the hype is most definitely overrated

Thing with DX10 is you cannot download it, you cannot Windows update and download it, it is embedded in Vista.
                            Dx9 you can download separately as a redistributable file.

And the difference between DX9 and 10 is barely noticable, very few graphical effects implementations which require a keen eye to even notice. If you don't know exactly what to look for, you'll never notice the difference unless a developer makes a point to grandstand a specific improvement (Like Aero? DX10 only?) I don't remember

Why's memory gone from $250 for 2GB down to as little as $40? since Vista came out? Memory manufacturers built up supply for the hyped demand that Vista required. When it was time, demand proved otherwise, and prices tanked.

Dell for instance, had changed to Vista only, but soon realized their mistake. Can get XP on any system now if preferred. Probably same for all other manufacturers.

As far as arguing which OS to get now? Thats a hard choice. Jump on the bndwagon now, or wait like many do. Won't hurt either way. There is a new service pack coming for XP now, that by accident increased performance in several desktop applications significantly. It's perfectly stable too, has been well debugged given it's lifetime. I haven't seen Blue screen since very early in XP rollout.

And had no issues with my BFG products. Had an old G4, after years the fan died due to smoke/debris cloggin it. I called em to acquire a new fan. They sent me a new, better card. LOL
                            Have a BFG 8800 now, and very pleased for the smokin deal I got it for.
                            EVGA and XFX are comparable, I'd go with whichever is on sale.

all IMO lol

Comment

I love WD's they have been very good to me.
                              I'm going the SATA route, SATA HD and SATA burner.

Funny, I've only used WD, no problems. Recent build I strayed and went Seagate for perpendicular recording hype, drive died in 2 wks.
                              The replacement was (go figure) dead on arrival.

Punished!

Comment

Originally posted by audiophile View Post
                                Thing with DX10 is you cannot download it, you cannot Windows update and download it, it is embedded in Vista.
                                Dx9 you can download separately as a redistributable file.
                                DX10 has been hacked to run on XP, however I wouldn't trust it.

DX10.1 will be implemented in the next generation of GPUs, which will be out early next year.

And the difference between DX9 and 10 is barely noticable, very few graphical effects implementations which require a keen eye to even notice. If you don't know exactly what to look for, you'll never notice the difference unless a developer makes a point to grandstand a specific improvement (Like Aero? DX10 only?) I don't remember
                                Well, the way the desktop is rendered with Vista is different than XP.

As for the difference between DX9 and DX10, it's mainly in particle effects, and DX10 is basically considered invalid.

Why's memory gone from $250 for 2GB down to as little as $40? since Vista came out? Memory manufacturers built up supply for the hyped demand that Vista required. When it was time, demand proved otherwise, and prices tanked.
                                That's not why. It's because everyone is manufacturing DDR2 6400 right now.

Look at the prices of SDRAM or RDRAM... they're significantly higher than DDR2.

Right now DDR3 is super expensive, but the cost will come down when everyone starts making it in great quantity.

Comment

Working...
                                X