Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are some tunings expressed in flats and other sharps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spelling it B# or E# is just for writing stuff in standard notation on paper if the key necessitates doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
      Spelling it B# or E# is just for writing stuff in standard notation on paper if the key necessitates doing so.
      And the emmy goes to...
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

To clarify an above post, The Can Be Only One use of a letter name in a scale. That's why you will get Cb, Fb, E# and B#.

Anyway, like this scale listed above: C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

It reads much better than: C# D# F F# G# A# C
        Just a guitar player...

Comment

I just like to fuckin play

But kudos the the person who asked the question because I was curious as well.

Comment

I had wondered this myself for sometime, and the only thing I could come to the conclusion of, was already stated above. The each note being listed, or rather, not being listed again.

Comment

The mixture of flats and sharps is a pain. I think it is the notators brain fart that made him forget the most basic rules of notes: Anytime you drop a note in pitch, it is referred to as going flat.....if you increase the pitch , it is known as going sharp.

If I am in A( x02210 ) per say, and someone says jump to F sharp, that tells me I need to increase pitch ( xx4675 ), however, they often mean (244322), which should be pronounced as G Flat to let you know it is descending. I have found alot of people talk about scales and notes, but, forget this very basic rule. -Lou
              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I don't follow Lou's rule, instead I just say "go down to F#" or "go up to F#" to indicate the direction.

Comment

Working...
                X