Dodged a bullet today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodged a bullet today

So I've had orders to Iraq hanging over my head for 2 weeks now. Definitely the last thing I expected when i joined the Navy 8 years ago. They are sending us over there now to keep the Marines/Army from doing multiple tours back to back. About a month ago I heard I was going to be the next up to represent the Navy. Somehow they sent someone in my place, which I found out today.
    Scared the shit outta me. I went through the Navy's 2nd hardest school, and I know what they do with us Electronics Technicians over there. IED disposal. So I dodged the bullet this time, hopefully it doesn't come back up in the year and a half I have left. DonF, much respect to you; but after this scare I think it's time for me to go.
    If any of you know anyone ready to join the military, warn them that Iraq will most likely be their first duty station, no matter what branch. Our troops are hurting, and they're pulling everyone to support now. I dodged the bullet this time, but I have a feeling I'll be over there soon. Wish me luck guys.
    EAOS: 28JUN09

Much respect dude. I would not want to be in your place.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Good luck and I hope you can stay home as well as getting our own back home from Iraq soon too !!!

Lots of respect here too !!!

Comment

You took the oath, and signed the paper. You were trained to do a job and now you don't want to do it.

Fascinating.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          You took the oath, and signed the paper. You were trained to do a job and now you don't want to do it.

Fascinating.
          If I wanted to do that job I would have joined the Army or Marine Corps. Last I checked there are no ships or oceans in Iraq. And i was trained to fix UHF Satcom equipment and cryptology equipment. Not bombs. Not to mention half the people at my command have never even set foot on a ship and done a deployment. I've done 3, figured I earned my time on shore duty after 5 1/2 years at sea and constantly away from home. Sure, if I was/am chosen, I'll go over there and do what's needed. But let them choose someone that's been a desk jockey their whole enlistment go first.

Comment

My brother-in-law joined the Navy a couple years ago. Not sure what they have him doing, but I figure it's only a matter of time before he ends up in the Middle East. Of course, I think he knew that going in, being that he joined well after we were in Iraq.
            sigpic

Comment

I hear ya drock. They're pulling our USAF folks from all different career fields to support Army convoys. In fact, 3 of the folks that work for me leave on Monday for 2 months of combat training at Ft Bragg and then their off to the sandbox. I was on the list to go but they couldn't send me cuz I'm retiring next July. Part of me wanted to go but I've already spent 2 out of the last 4 years over there.

Newc, sounds like they're pulling him for EOD duty so go easy bro. The Navy has spent umpteen thousands of dollars on his specialized training and now they want to throw him into unknown territory. Not a good feeling, especially since we're talking explosives disposal. The Army needs to quit this shit of requesting personnel from other services to fill their shortages. They definitely have some personnel management issues in their branch.
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Fascinating.
                Well I don't see anything unusual there Ideas may change, you buy a guitar then realise you don't want it and sell it or you sign a paper thinking you want to do some kind of job then you realise you don't want to... Simple as that in my book. One difference, when you sign a paper you have to do that
                Check my bands!
                www.myspace.com/magicktr
                www.myspace.com/sinif64
                www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Yeah, it's truly that simple.

Comment

So what does an electronics technician do at sea when nothing's broken? Seems like you'd either get a bunch of totally shit jobs or do nothing at all.

Comment

I'm with drock on this one. I can understand that in an all-out war the branches of the service are expected to do whatever they are called on to do in an emergency. Cooks grabbing a rifle, for example. The whole Iraq deal is so messed up. Why not let those Blackwater dudes really earn their $1,000 a day? This thread is going to get really interesting.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I see. They didn't train you to disarm bombs, yet they would expect you to know how to do it? Do they think "electronics is electronics"? What would you get, a week with a pretend bomb? An Operation game?

That's messed up.

Then again, if you flub the "bomb training", I don't suppose they'll send you.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles View Post
                          So I've had orders to Iraq hanging over my head for 2 weeks now. Definitely the last thing I expected when i joined the Navy 8 years ago. They are sending us over there now to keep the Marines/Army from doing multiple tours back to back. About a month ago I heard I was going to be the next up to represent the Navy. Somehow they sent someone in my place, which I found out today.
                          Scared the shit outta me. I went through the Navy's 2nd hardest school, and I know what they do with us Electronics Technicians over there. IED disposal. So I dodged the bullet this time, hopefully it doesn't come back up in the year and a half I have left. DonF, much respect to you; but after this scare I think it's time for me to go.
                          If any of you know anyone ready to join the military, warn them that Iraq will most likely be their first duty station, no matter what branch. Our troops are hurting, and they're pulling everyone to support now. I dodged the bullet this time, but I have a feeling I'll be over there soon. Wish me luck guys.
                          Much respect and ...I WOULD like to be in your place. The United States of America IS a country worth fighting for. If you do go, be safe and come home proud.

I'm speaking generally here...not directly to drockilles. Even if you don't believe in the mission, duty and honor to your country comes first...John F. Kennedy said it best...Ask NOT what your country can do for you, ask what YOU can do for your country.
                          Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 10-20-2007, 04:28 PM.
                          Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles View Post
                            IED disposal. So I dodged the bullet this time, hopefully it doesn't come back up in the year and a half I have left. DonF, much respect to you; but after this scare I think it's time for me to go.
                            Understood Drock. When I was in, its wasn't as intense as it is for you now. I recommend keeping the door open for the future though. If you have the specialized training, the Navy would prefer you, than training someone else all over again. it may be an option in the future to return. If you find something on the outside, you might like it better.......

I'm an ordnance guy, guess what i'd be doing now....lol ?.......

Good luck with what you're doing.
                            Last edited by donf; 10-20-2007, 05:02 PM.
                            Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Fascinating.
                              Newc, that's a pretty lame thing to say. You have said on a number of occasions that this war is good - how about you put your ass on the line?
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X