Back into the guitar scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back into the guitar scene

Maybe theres some of you who experienced a burnout and didnt play for a while. Mine happened a year and a half ago. Go tired of the band scene, got tired of practicing, or more frustrated, so I packed the guitars in the closet and didn't play. Maybe once in a while, but with no enthusiasm.

But, came out of the shell.... . Back with guitar. Back with a new teacher, but only with different goals. No more studying theory, memorizing, or breaking everything down til I confuse myself. I'm not interested in getting back into the band scene. So my goal is plain and simple. Take an acoustic out of the closet, go sit on my deck with friends and family and sing and play....and have fun.........thats it!

I'm glad I didn't sell everything off 1 1/2 years ago, but I came close... .

I know some of you guys posted that you've had a burnout period or got hurt and couldn't play. Mine was only a year and a half. Some of yous guys did it for a longer time. It did feel like an eternity though.

Gotta get the calluses back..........ouch.....:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

I know the feeling. Being a "Hack" Guitarist , sometimes I feel like I don't get any better, but I play just to relax and get that stress out. I just get my buzz on and go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse Called War View Post
      I know the feeling. Being a "Hack" Guitarist , sometimes I feel like I don't get any better, but I play just to relax and get that stress out. I just get my buzz on and go with it.
      Thats about all ya can do anymore, between all the flakes out there who are all talk. I'm always on the prowl for other people, craiglist adds - whatever ya know. Talking to those folks are enough to put it down and re-evaluate your life for sure. haha

Comment

It's good that your ahving fun while playing i've taken a hiatus over the summer till a few weeks ago and i've started to play and have fun again, which I think is really important....

Which reminds me I need to learn more of the songs for the band...

Comment

Probably from mid-college to my early 30's - a full 10 years thinking I couldn't touch an instrument unless I know the theory behind it, I had been completely damaged by the circle of fifths, modes, scales, etc.

Then one day, I just picked it up again, and started playing without regard to being in the right key - just experimenting...AND IT WAS FUN! Lo and behold - not having the constraints of a teacher badgering you into what you "should and should not do" opening the world to me, now I can't stop thinking about playing!

Of course, now my main problem is my wife and 3 kids and not burnout... :ROTF:
          Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

I've been on a hot streak since Dec 2002. Before then I would go for years without touching a guitar. I was first into it in the late 80s - early 90s, then out from say 1993 to 1998, then bought an SG Std. and my orange DSL100 1/2 stack, then dropped out again for a few years until Dec. 2002. Like the other hacks I really want to learn how to play these damn things this time

And +1 on the wife and three kids - she hates it when I spend more time with my other "girlfriends" than her

Comment

+1 on doing it for personal enjoyment and beer drinking! Nothing like sitting on the back deck with good friends and cold beer just relaxing and strumming.

Welcome back!

Comment

I think the beauty of any instrument only comes out when you play for the love of it

when i was in my teens and twenty's I played in bands and like most people tried to become a rock star, I used to think there was no point in even owning a guitar unless you were in a band.

I started playing again around three years ago and just playing for how it makes me feel and learning new stuff is so much more rewarding , I've even had fun learning theory and recognising why and how things fit together.

In short ..Guitars..fuck yeah!

Comment

I'm on a burnout right now. Haven't played for about 4 months. The last time I played was when I was in the band for a play. All the practising burnt me out. Fishing has replaced my love of playing for the moment. But i'm a terrible fisherman and a quasi-decent guitarist. So, I think it's time to get back into it!

Comment

I don't play anywhere near as often as used to, or would like to.
                    One of my issues is the family doesn't want to hear it. My boys
                    (13 and 15) are ambivalent about music, and my wife is about as non musical as a person can get, in my opinion.
                    BTW, I have noticed something over the years. Starting with my older brother, it seems to me that a lot of people born between about '56-'61 are incredibly non-musical. If they do listen, it's oldies radio that plays the same ten 60's tunes over and over. My wife is like that. My boss is like that, and several others. Was there a generational burnout, because a huge amount of great music came out in what would have been their "formative years". Has anyone else noticed this quirk?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernXer View Post
                      +1 on doing it for personal enjoyment and beer drinking! Nothing like sitting on the back deck with good friends and cold beer just relaxing and strumming.

Welcome back!

Yeah, a different approach and relaxing. For some reason, in this state of mind, I even think the theory I studied for so long may come around in full circle. But I think I'll let it come to me.

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                        Of course, now my main problem is my wife and 3 kids and not burnout... :ROTF:
                        I think my wife was more upset than me when I left the band because she had fun when we went out. So, shes glad to see me back with it, though I think she thinks the band thing again in the future. I haven't broke the news to her yet, that it isn't.....

Comment

I went a solid 7 years..
                          Haters gonna hate
                          Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I went 12 years without playing.
                            Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Congrats. I have been there before and am actually there again right now. I have not played in months. But I know it will come back into my life because it never really leaves me completely.

Comment

Working...
                              X