GT Mountain bike (need help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Mountain bike (need help)

I've grown to love mountain biking. I've always enjoyed riding my bicycle, but recently I've realized that mountain biking is my thing!

I ride a Focus Black Hills, but I want something fun to do when winter comes. So I've come to the conclusion that I want to build a bike.

GT Zaskar, or a GT Pantera, caught my eye. So I'm looking for a frame for any of those old 90's models. I might be able to find one here in Sweden with a little luck. But I thought that maybe someone here happens to know there whereabouts of one, and could give me a tip?

I think it could be a fun project, and hopefully I'll learn a thing or two along the way!

Any help would be highly appreciated!
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

There is one for sale in the UK, he says he'll only ship to the UK though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GT-ZASKAR-LE_W...QQcmdZViewItem

If you want it let me know, we'll try and sort something out for you!

There's another in the US and he'll ship worldwide.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-GT-Zaskar...QQcmdZViewItem
    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

woah, old school lol.

if you really want such an old bike, get that zaskar from america- it comes with the bottom bracket (these have changed since then so they are reasonably hard to get your hands on) and i'm fairly sure they are pretty strong- they used to be a favourite amongst trial bikers.

If I were you though, I would get something a bit more up to date...

Comment

What size frame do you need?

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Thanks, I saw those. I just thought I'd sniff around here as well, since I know that some of us are into mountain biking.

16"-17" will be perfect when it comes to the GT frames, I think. So both of those frames would be perfect... However, the shipping is really high on the one from the US, so it wouldn't be worth it. I'm waiting for a shipping quote on the one from the UK.

Yeah, "old school is cool", haha! I thought that it would be a nice project if I can get a frame for a reasonable price.
          https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

I`ve started MTB too
            I want to get a HARO Full Suspension bike...
            Still have a lot to save up money for it...
            Till then I can ride the bike from my sister`s boyfriend...
            He is a really cool guy and all...

I like to like to ride downhill and basically freeride ...
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

my bike is like 10" ... hehe yet still with 26" wheels

custom... built by myself, even laced the wheels

cost me around £1000 in total- including upgrades and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_dave View Post
                my bike is like 10" ... hehe yet still with 26" wheels

custom... built by myself, even laced the wheels

cost me around £1000 in total- including upgrades and stuff
                Cool looking bike, that hurts just looking at it though. You can't be over 30 years old, or you have never pedaled while sitting LOL

Seriously, do you stand to pedal at all times, my heels would be higher than my rear every pedal go round!
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

That bike looks like it is either for trials or jumping. You would be hurting pretty good after doing a 15 mile ride on that.

Comment

That's a hopping around on concrete bollards bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                      That bike looks like it is either for trials or jumping. You would be hurting pretty good after doing a 15 mile ride on that.
                      I couldn't get out of my driveway sitting on that. I with all respect see no purpose in that bike having a seat.

I have been doing some jumps and "oldschool" tricks on my kid's 20" bike, and even my kid won't put the seat that low.

I have been at the skate/bike parks and seen a bunch of kids with their seat like that, but even they won't sit on it for anything more than between dips in the park. I guess it's just for sitting on when your feet are on the ground?

It makes sense if the seat is on a "laid back" seat post, but it's right on top of the pedals.
                      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

lol, i know the seat looks funkified. I can sit down and ride but my feet hit my arse and I'm 5'9" (17yrs). the only real reason for that seat is to rest your feet on. The majority of the new trials frames don't come with seats anymore anyway, it saves more weight that way.

but yeah it is made for trials, as shobet said, jumping around on concrete bollards on the back wheel- a 15 mile ride is REALLY not what its made for.

Comment

That's what I figured. I have a Specialized I tear around the hood on. I also have a 24" GT cruiser (BMX), but it is not very roomy and it kills my knees. I would like to build a freeride bike at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                            That's what I figured. I have a Specialized I tear around the hood on. I also have a 24" GT cruiser (BMX), but it is not very roomy and it kills my knees. I would like to build a freeride bike at some point.

24" isnt a BMX

BMX are 20"

you do get 24" stunt bikes, but they're not called BMXs

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_dave View Post
                              lol, i know the seat looks funkified. I can sit down and ride but my feet hit my arse and I'm 5'9" (17yrs). the only real reason for that seat is to rest your feet on. The majority of the new trials frames don't come with seats anymore anyway, it saves more weight that way.

but yeah it is made for trials, as shobet said, jumping around on concrete bollards on the back wheel- a 15 mile ride is REALLY not what its made for.
                              Then.. you are not looking to build a mountain bike. I had an Avalanche which is basically the same thing as a Zaskar. Its designed for mountain biking.
                              If you want a trials/stunt bike.. you already have one. I wouldn't use a Zaskar frame for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X