Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    As was said before, take this as a sign to do two things:
    1: Dump them from your lives - no more hangin out, and they get booted off the Dime thing and they don't get to play those shows.
    2: Write your own stuff and stick to it. Do a few covers to keep the crowd on the hook but otherwise get them used to hearing your originals. Phase out the covers and let the losers start covering YOUR songs, then you can nail them for copyrights.

Of course you can also be nice and run their mixer. Mute channels randomly during their set when they start to play a song from your list, but make it look like their equipment's crapping out.

Record some static and amp pops/clicks like when you tap the cable and inject it into their mixer channels so they sound like the losers they really are.

Put the guts of some old junky amp that cuts in and out into a good head and offer to let them use "your" amp. Once it heats up and starts crapping out, what are they gonna do, swap gear in the middle of a song? Trash it on stage?

Soak the mic screen in vinegar, or a dead fish, and swap it when you leave if they're coming on after you. Let the singer try to get close to the mic with rotten poon up his nose.

Get some fire extinguishers (liquid type) and when they start playing a song from your list, hose 'em.

Mayo balloons tossed from the crowd....

Heckle them loudly.....
    NEWC..are you sure your not of the left hand path..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm finally happy to say, it has all been ironed out. Their "leader" said that they really wanted to play at least 1 Pantera tune at the benefit and that is the only one they could pull off. So we said, "go ahead, we'll pull it from our setlist, but if you try to play anything else we've already got in our list, the plug will be pulled.

To replace it in our set, we sat down and (this will make some of you happy) wrote one of our own to close with. It's burtal, yet has a good hook and groove......did I mention that I'm playing bass on it, with my lead guitarrist and bass player shredding it up trading off leads....... I'll post it once it's polished and recorded.

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I agree that a band doing cover songs is not doing their own music, they didnt create it so aany cover band can add whatever song they feel like to their set. I agree its low class to say the least but its not like they stole your material or anything. Every blues rock band and plays Voodoo Chile or Cream, SVR etc etc

I also agree with doing originals but folks have to understand not every city has venues that cater to original music....so if you want to gig, you have to play covers...I know it sucks but some places are just like that
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          What's unfathomable to me, is why they would do that anyway. Why would they think it was a good idea to duplicate songs. I would personally make sure if I was sharing a bill with another band, that we didn't play any of the same songs.
          If Voice's "Friends" are up first and play those songs, then it leave's Voice's band in a lurch. They either have to play different songs or they will look like the copycats to people not in the know. Pretty shitty tactic, maybe they have to watch to learn songs and have tin ears?

I'd disinvite them from your rehearsals and learn some new material that they can't readily copy. And DEFINITELY don't let them hear any original stuff until it is already copywritten. If you think you're pissed about them nicking covers, just check with Bill about someone stealing your original ideas; that's MUCH worse.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X