Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct TV vs. Cable?

Help guys!

Moving next week, I have always had cable and cable internet...

Do I want to consider Direct TV and a DSL through ATT?

Thanks,

Dan

Originally posted by ripley156 View Post
    Do I want to consider Direct TV and a DSL through ATT?
    We have it. Didn't have a choice, really - no cable in our subdivision. I was worried about the difference since I was used to cable and broadband internet. I'm pleased so far. The sattelite provides sharper images as far as the TV's concerned. The DSL was the biggest surprise. It's only 1% slower than cable broadband when it comes to streaming media. It's really hard to gauge the difference, actually. Websites load just as fast as broadband so that pleased me. I was expecting performance to be only slightly better than dial-up so I'm pleasantly surprised with the whole package.

EDIT: Almost forgot - if you bundle your services (DirecTV, DSL and cell phone) you get a cheaper rate plus cash back - roughly $150, depending on what you subscribe to.
    Last edited by mhalsey; 05-24-2007, 08:20 PM.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I have both and I like both. Whatever that's worth...
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

i did the at&t bundle when i bought my house last spring. service was fine, but it was dish network, not directv. we recently canceled the dish network and went to directv, but only because of mlb's exclusive, lameass deal. i have to say that i prefer dish network's menu setup and how it works versus directv.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Direct T.V. from the moment it became available.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

DirecTV and a VDSL connection. Faster than a cable modem and more reliable too.
            I hate cable.
            -Rick

Comment

I've had DirecTV for 8 years and like it....Only issue I have is when a bad storm with thick cloud cover comes in I lose the signal.
              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I've had DirecTV for a number of years (7-8) and I will NEVER go back to cable. However, I unfortunately have to put up with Comcast for my broadband.

Comment

Every mini-dish setup I've encountered crapped out when the weather was anything but perfect, and I live in a rural area on a high hill with no trees near the house - we're the tallest thring out here so no interference from anything. It's just a weak system IMO.

I miss the giant "redneck" dishes. You could get a signal with those in everything but a tornado, and that was only because the dish wobbled in high winds
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Direct TV has done well by me - except when the system shorted, and we lost everything...

Comment

Rainfade sucks, no doubt about it. But it's not only the mini-dishes that suffer from this. The big ones do too...

Comment

Had direct TV and ATT dsl, but got screwed because of line of sight I could nto get HD satellite. It was a blessing in disguise though. I was able to get FIOS tv and internet through Verizon and The picture quality is superb and the internet is blazing fast!!! I have never been happier.

Comment

I think the picture with Direct TV is better, but my wife watches a lot of movies and the on demand that Comcast provides is worlds better than Direct TV. to be honest I've had a lot of problem with the Direct TV DVR box since I switched 3 months ago. I'm ready to switch back to Comcast, mainly because the wife can shut up about the movie end of it

Comment

We have cable both here and having used a friend's DSL and DirecTV, I'm willing to keep paying a bit more for cable.

Any bad weather at all, even just a heavy rain, would knock out the satellite signal. Cable works no matter what's happening outside.

DSL is fine for webpages, but if you do any heavy downloading, you'll appreciate the faster speeds of cable. On sites that can offer the bandwidth, I get downloads over 1MB/s with Comcast's boost thingy. It doubles your speed for the first bit of large downloads, so I get 12Mbps (1.5MB/s) for a bit then it backs down to 6Mbps (750KB/s). Compared to DSL's standard 1.5Mbps (187.5KB/s) there is no contest.
                            Scott

Comment

I forgot to mention the biggest reason I have DirecTV. NFL Sunday Ticket. Being a fan of a team not near my market makes the Ticket a must have...

Comment

Working...
                              X