Help - major fret hand problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - major fret hand problem.

I was at band practice yesterday, and after going through maybe 15 songs, I noticed a weird feeling in my left hand. I played a few more songs, but eventually had to stop because my ring finger and pinky were dragging a little. I'm a little worried. My ring finger feels like it is swollen. It has that tight feel too it, and hurts pretty bad in 2 of the knuckles. It actually kinda feels like it's been hit with a hammer or something. I can't even make a proper fist because of how stiff it is. It looks completely normal.

What can this be?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

From my experience I would say it's either RSI (repetative stress injury), Arthritus, a pinched nerve, or possibly a circulation issue. Have you been playing more than usual lately?

I get pains and twinges in my hands all the time from arthritus and RSI, which can turn into carpal tunnel if you dont take care of your hands by taking frequent breaks and stretching.

I'm no professional, so I could be completely wrong. But it sounds like similar feelings I get in my hands if I dont take a break from playing every once in a while.

Later,

Steve
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

Hi zeegler,

I am a newbie to the forum and haven't intoduced myself as yet but I saw your post and thought I would try to help. It could be a number of things like ligament strain or a nipped nerve. You may be surprised but the way you stand when you are playing, the weight of your guitar or any tension in your hand or wrist all can contribute to this sort of complaint. Do you have any back or neck problems? Have you ever had any problems with your elbow or shoulder or between your shoulder blades? How do you stand when you're playing guitar? I have a lot of experience with problems like this stemming from a long term injury to my back, you would be amazed at how many things can be affected. The main thing is don't worry there is usually a very simple answer. You need to analyze everything that you were doing at the time this started to happen... even (if not especially) the things that you always do without thinking. Some people might say that you should see a doctor, my own opinion is that your first port of call maybe should be an Osteopath or a Chiropractor to make sure that postural abuse is not contributing (common with guitar players). These guys can often tell if your injury is a symptom of something else... or not.
      Last edited by Rage; 05-06-2007, 08:47 AM.
      1991 Jackson SL1 custom USA 'smokin' skull'
      1992 Jackson SL1 custom USA 'Bikini Beach'
      EBMM BFR Luke, Ruby Burst
      Ibanez JS1000
      Yamaha SG3000S,Wine Red
      Ovation shallow back 1985 Limited Edition acoustic
      Boogie Dual Recto, Marshall 1960 4X12 cab, Vox Satchurator, 2XMXR M-108 EQs, Keeley DS-1, Keeley TS9DS FLEXI 4X2, Keeley compressor, Morley Wah, Digitech Whammy-1, TC Electronic G-System, DR Z Air Brake and all Evidence Audio Lyric HG cabling.

Comment

nipped nerve
        That's almost as good as Mustaine's claim to "Saturday Night Palsy."
        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
          That's almost as good as Mustaine's claim to "Saturday Night Palsy."
          There are some advantages to a numb arm and wrist (I'm led to believe) ... but that's surely for lonley people and possibly another forum
          Last edited by Rage; 05-07-2007, 02:30 AM.
          1991 Jackson SL1 custom USA 'smokin' skull'
          1992 Jackson SL1 custom USA 'Bikini Beach'
          EBMM BFR Luke, Ruby Burst
          Ibanez JS1000
          Yamaha SG3000S,Wine Red
          Ovation shallow back 1985 Limited Edition acoustic
          Boogie Dual Recto, Marshall 1960 4X12 cab, Vox Satchurator, 2XMXR M-108 EQs, Keeley DS-1, Keeley TS9DS FLEXI 4X2, Keeley compressor, Morley Wah, Digitech Whammy-1, TC Electronic G-System, DR Z Air Brake and all Evidence Audio Lyric HG cabling.

Comment

now zeegler i have had this problem before and it went away after a while just lay off the fast stuff for a while but dont stop playing completly
            Last edited by Super_shredder; 05-07-2007, 03:04 AM.
            Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
            Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I have had those symptoms before, it got very bad, I had it checked out, and the doctor said I'd pinched my ulnar nerve. be very careful, it takes a long long time for it to regenerate and heal. If it is an ulnar nerve, I bet it's not your guitar playing that's doing it. The ulnar nerve's most sensitive point is at the elbow, and if you lean on your elbow for any extended period of time, you could be pinching it.

The fact that it's your pinky and the finger next to it is a dead giveaway that it's an ulnar nerve problem. Try this, grip the fat part of your hand under your pinky and if it's numb, number or less sensitive than the fat part on your other hand, that's an ulnar nerve problem.

Comment

I did play a lot of Ace Combat on my PS2 earlier that day.

It finally seems to be easing off a little bit today.

Comment

I'm going through this right now as well. I've put the guitar down until the grip improves and forearm soreness goes away, icing the elbow from time to time and just tryinig to let it rest. I'm hoping 3 weeks will be enough. From everything I've read it isn't something to try to play through. In the mean time I'm getting my guitar fix by finishing a refret job I started 20 years ago. The time is ripe.

Comment

warm up slow, stretch slow, etc.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I totally gave up video games. Game controllers are not good on the hands. I also had a problem with my hands, wrists and elbows. Turns out that I was doing some pretty weird stuff at night when I was sleeping. That plus the game controllers were killing me. I wore braces that kept my wrists and elbows straight at night for a couple of months and finally was able to get back into things.
                      Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                        I did play a lot of Ace Combat on my PS2 earlier that day.
                        no fuckin wonder

and here you had everyone all worried and shit
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Rage View Post
                          There are some advantages to a numb arm and wrist (I'm led to believe) ... but that's surely for lonley people and possibly another forum

That's a good one. I believe Andrew Dice Clay did a routine about that very topic. Something about laying on your arm all day to get it numb so you could.........well lets not go any further!
                          Guitars:
                          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                          1988 Model 2,
                          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                          RR3
                          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                          2005 SG Special

Comment

I'm going through the same exact thing with my left ring finger. I believe I strained a ligament in it. The other day, all of a sudden, my finger started throbing and getting swollen. I realized that my wedding ring was starting to cut off the circulation to my finger because of the swelling. I started to get really worried, I was about to try to cut my ring off but I put my hand in ice water (ouch! that hurt!) for awhile which brought down the swelling enough to get my ring off. I cut the top of my knuckle doing it but I figured it was the lesser of two evils.

It's been a few days and it still hurts and I have not been able to put my ring back on. It still hurts when I push on the base of the inner finger before the first knuckle and is still stiff. I can't make a complete fist yet either. Sounds similar.
                            Guitars:
                            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                            1988 Model 2,
                            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                            RR3
                            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                            2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                              no fuckin wonder

and here you had everyone all worried and shit
                              I'm dumb!:ROTF:

Honestly, it didn't even occur to me until the next morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X