Tab site issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tab site issues

What is the problem with people posting their interpretation of a component of a song anyway? As nearly everyone has commented, most of the transcriptions are not impeccably accurate. I correct my own transcriptions over time to make them easier to play. I doubt many transcriptions are 100% accurate due to the choices of fingerings and picking variations. There are also many attributes that cant be described in tab...pick attack...vibrato technique...effects settings/linear placement,etc. Very few include bass lines and drum notation. If the posted notation isnt inclusive of every element of the copywrited material, how can that be considered an infringement on anyones property. Biggest factor to consider...its free tab! I just dont see the harm. Anyone care to offer some alternate perspectives?
    "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Well, I for one have seen some fucking horrible tabs that people have submitted, and it's inexcusable. There's nothing wrong with having a rhythm pattern a little off, or a section notated in an incorrect position, but when it's wrong chords and notes all over the place, then why bother posting it? Tone deaf people should not post their own tabs.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Good point and well stated. I was thinking more along the lines of legal issues. How does the law fit in to people expressing thier opinion of how to play what they think they hear?

Comment

Are you guys talking about ASCII tabs for stuff like Guitar Pro(what I use) or Power Tab? Most of the latter are accurate and come with drum and bass parts.

Comment

Originally posted by MadJack View Post
          Good point and well stated. I was thinking more along the lines of legal issues. How does the law fit in to people expressing thier opinion of how to play what they think they hear?
          I think its still pending legal process, most good tab sites have pulled their tabs, with some exceptions, where permission has been granted by the artist
          I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I use tabs just as a starting point to figure out which scale the guy is playing in. I then get a scale chart, listen to the song and figure out most parts myself. Usually, I am happy that the tab is there in the first place so I got my starting point. Thanks to all the tabbers!
            Sam

Comment

regardless of the method of transcription, i see the posting of free tabs as free speech. if i am not charging money for my opinion/interpretation of a song...where is the crime? if the website doesn't profit from the posting of the tabs, where is their crime? a few months ago, there was a legal movement to shut down the tab sites...why? my bitch is that the litigation age has everyone suing everyone for everything. i just dont see the basis for the lawsuit(s) that led to the sites being shutdown.

Comment

I use tabs just as a starting point to figure out which scale the guy is playing in. I then get a scale chart, listen to the song and figure out most parts myself. Usually, I am happy that the tab is there in the first place so I got my starting point. Thanks to all the tabbers!
                ditto! and what is the harm in that? why should this lead to a courtroom?

Comment

+1 to that. Its like suing someone for posting the lyrics of their fav songs on a lyrics site.
                  Sam

Comment

+1 to that. Its like suing someone for posting the lyrics of their fav songs on a lyrics site.
                    or suing someone for making a f'ng hot dog at a barbeque and calling it a f'ng hot dog!

Comment

I guess the issue is the people sueing are saying the people posting the tabs ar eposting the copy writed music, when they're not. Its kind of a legal grey area.

Comment

to constitute a violation, wouldnt the transcription have to be 100% accurate and totally inclusive of all parameters? That is impossible, even for the original artists. Most recordings are compilations of pieces recorded separately, edited and mixed...include that in a transcription!

Comment

Tabs can be horribly unreliable, but they're excellent if you're just a beginner / intermediate. It's much better to get used to the sound your instrument makes, and just learn to reproduce them. It's not hard once you get used to it...
                          It's weird to explain xD
                          -- The Midnighter
                          Administrate!

Comment

Originally posted by MadJack View Post
                            regardless of the method of transcription, i see the posting of free tabs as free speech. if i am not charging money for my opinion/interpretation of a song...where is the crime? if the website doesn't profit from the posting of the tabs, where is their crime? a few months ago, there was a legal movement to shut down the tab sites...why?
                            my understanding is they were after the ones that had artist produced tabs, i.e. "the good ones."

thus the situation with all the complaining about the tab sites that remain, as they are the ones with the varying quality (shitty or really shitty ) ones submitted by the public. I don't think they can protect public comment like that. only protected content (the accurate artist produced tabs).
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                            X