9mm needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm needed

Well there about to build the largest public indoor shooting range in my area. http://www.tacticaledgepsc.com/facil...-services.html
    So now that I have a place to shoot near my house I plan on buying a pistol and get my Concealed Handgun License. I am going with a 9mm because I want a pistol that I can shoot on a regular basis and not cost me an arm and a leg in ammo. I have shot many pistols, but I have never taken the time to research them until now. I am leaning towards a Sig Arms 229R Two Tone or a Glock 19. I would appreciate anyones thoughts or advice.
    Thanks

Beretta 92FS - great 9mm gun. The choice of the Army and thousands of police departments. Good choice on going with 9mm....ammo is cheap!

Comment

Yeah but if you want it for self and/or home defense, you want stopping power that doesn't require headshots. While I've not been shot, it's my understanding that 9mm rounds are more for seriously wounding than killing, and if you're not shooting at a person to kill them, you're wasting ammo.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

So, with the concealed arms license, are you allowed carry that handgun around? If cops stop you for some reason and search you, can you show that license and get away?
        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
          So, with the concealed arms license, are you allowed carry that handgun around? If cops stop you for some reason and search you, can you show that license and get away?
          Yep, It's to prove you are licensed to carry it concealed.

It is actually a crime to wave it around or show it to someone to intimidate them - license or no license. Carrying unconcealed and loaded is a crime.

I understand arizona may have an unconcealed license, but i don't know for sure.
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
            When I heard about this it blew my mind when I was younger living in the peoples republic of California so long its hard to remember we have a constitution but we as Californians insist on using our own.

Comment

Originally posted by jk2171 View Post
              Beretta 92FS - great 9mm gun. The choice of the Army and thousands of police departments. Good choice on going with 9mm....ammo is cheap!
              You forgot they're also the choice of homies everywhere. It's a brotha approved handgun.

Comment

Hey NewC I agree with you on the stopping power of a 9mm, however, I can get more range practice with the cost of 9mm ammo compared to the cost of .40 caliber ammo. That means I will be more accurate with my shots plus if an intuder comes into my house they will be receiving more than one shot
                I will eventually purchase a .40 caliber pistol, but for my first pistol I want something that I can get a lot of range time.
                jk2171 thanks for the advice on the Beretta 92FS. I will do some research on that pistol as well.

Comment

Spend the extra for the laser sight. Wherever the red dot goes, the bullet follows. In a pinch you don't have the time to line up the sights, and one degree off could mean the difference between making the guy mad and stopping him in his tracks.

Also practice headshots with moving targets if they have those at the range. If all they have are ring targets, pick a spot to represent the head and hit it as consistently as possible.

My Mother took a shooting course at the Sheriff's Office in Louisiana, and she got all kill-shots. The attending Officer commented on her aim and told her that you want to get kill shots on intruders, despite what you see on TV.

He also said that if you shoot the guy in the yard as he's escaping, drag him back into the house. It goes better for you on the police report.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think Newc is in beat the hornets nest mode.
                    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Yes I will definitely get a laser sight. That will make it easier to target someone in the house quickly. This indoor range will have moving targets and all kinds of classes to take to improve your shooting skills in different scenarios. I'm hoping to eventually join one of their Leagues once I become proficient at shooting.

emperor_black... that is correct you can obtain a license in Texas to carry a concealed handgun. If a cop pulls you over or stops you for some reason the first thing you do is hand them your drivers license and your concealed handgun license and tell them if you have your gun on you.

Comment

Oh and NEWC the biggest mistake to make is to shoot someone while their escaping. If someone is running away then you are no longer in eminent danger and have no reason to be shooting at the person.

Comment

I prefer the .357 to everything..but Ruger makes an awesome 9mm. I had a P-89 years ago..then had a P90-something..thinking 94..not sure. Both great guns. Had to sell the 9 mm due to financial difficulties awhile ago. Won't part with that .357 though..(Ruger Gp-100)

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Yeah but if you want it for self and/or home defense, you want stopping power that doesn't require headshots. While I've not been shot, it's my understanding that 9mm rounds are more for seriously wounding than killing, and if you're not shooting at a person to kill them, you're wasting ammo.
                            That's why you buy a 12 gauge shotgun (Winchester Defender is a good one). You can get shot that doesn't go through drywall, so it's fairly safe to use in the house if there's an intruder, but will stop anyone trying to harm you. And that's IF they stick around after they hear you rack that thing.

Comment

yup, get a pump 12 guage for home defense (a good one). Carry what you can shoot well and don't buy crap.

If you plan to carry...keep it concealed, be calm and courtious to all, and only shoot when you absolutely feel your life is in danger. If you draw an aggrevated assult charge is often justified (depends on the state). If you shoot you and hit your target you will likely have to pay big legal fees ($20K+ isn't unusal from what I remember). If you shoot and miss you own all the damage that your poor marksmanship caused. Before any of this you need to decide if you really want to kill someone. If not, consider pepper spray or some other non-lethal means of protection. If you do want to kill someone consider therapy.

Comment

Working...
                              X