Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound proofing?..opinions?

I need MORE sound proofing!!
    My studio, a room built inside my garage,has 6" walls filled with heavy fire blanket/sound control insulation,5/8" drywall on outside walls,2 layers of 1/2" drywall with RC sound control channel on inside walls,and the inside has some Auralex studio foam,diffusers panels,etc.(see "my toy room" thread for pics)It's pretty amazing the amount of volume it has decreased,
    STILL it ain't enough to jam at 3 am,without pissin' off neighbors.
    What else can i do?
    More Auralex? That shit is pricey! Each fuckin' piece cost more than Fett's average guitar....
    Turn down? Can't, I'm deaf....
    I'm a lifetime 3rd shifter,so as you can imagine, my schedule don't jive with the rest of the world.Any suggestions for more deadening? Is the level of control I'm looking for just unobtainable?
    Some problems I am aware of:
    A/C unit,Massive noise hole,but it's just a 14'x14' room with 5 guys packed in,A/C is a must! How can I muffle it? It points RIGHT at the neighbors master bedroom,this would be a biggie....
    Ceiling,only a single layer of rock,it's 9 foot,so can i do ceiling panels with insulation,or what would be better?
    Floor,carpet on concrete. Would another wood floor over it be worth all the hassle/expense? What about better carpet/padding?
    Ventilation? We have no air flow!It gets smoky in here! How can I pull fresh air/exhaust air with out noise leaks?car mufflers?
    See something I missed?
    Last edited by Harry Krisna; 03-05-2007, 09:57 AM.
    www.thejimmyhatz.com

Hippie Tim is quite read up and knowledgeable here. His studio is totally awesome.

THIS, is seriously cool stuff...
    http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietrock.html

And read this...
    http://www.acoustics101.com/common/acoustics101v3_0.pdf

and maybe this will give you some thoughts as well...
    http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=31269

Comment

http://www.foambymail.com/soundproofing.html
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Definitely carpet or pad the floor.
        There are sound dampening pads and deflectors for A/C ventilation systems.
        The ceiling should be insulated and basically spec'd out like the walls.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Krisna View Post
          More Auralex? That shit is pricey! Each fuckin' piece cost more than Fett's average guitar....
          That won't do shit. No foam is going to stop any significant amount of sound from escaping - particularly in the low end. It can help the high end. But ultimately you need mass to prevent sound leakage.

A/C unit,Massive noise hole,but it's just a 14'x14' room with 5 guys packed in,A/C is a must! How can I muffle it? It points RIGHT at the neighbors master bedroom,this would be a biggie....
          This is probably 90% of your real problem. Even a small hole can be a bad sound valve.

Ceiling,only a single layer of rock,it's 9 foot,so can i do ceiling panels with insulation,or what would be better?
          Drop in another ceiling a few inches below. Put mass load vinyl barrier up. Then mineral wool insulation. Then a couple layers of drywall.

Floor,carpet on concrete. Would another wood floor over it be worth all the hassle/expense? What about better carpet/padding?
          Concrete isn't going to let the sound escape to easily. But it can resonate a bit. What I did is to buy some Auralex Platfoam and build a drum riser and risers for all the amps/speakers.

Ventilation? We have no air flow!It gets smoky in here! How can I pull fresh air/exhaust air with out noise leaks?car mufflers?
          See something I missed?
          Don't smoke. There is no smoking in our jam room. That's what outside is for. There are guides out there on how to do this - Google is your friend here.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

BTW, my studio/jam room is not dead silent either. I had to make practical compromises for a variety of reasons. You can stand outside the room with the band blasting pretty good and have a conversation at normal speaking levels without any trouble but you can hear the band.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

What Tim suggests will help quite a bit but I am not sure if you are gonna be able to get it to 3AM quiet if your hoses are real close.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! Tim just seen photos of your room,very nice! Wish i had seen that a year ago,lol!
                Seems like the A/C and a drum riser will give the most bang for the buck at this point,everything else looks like work...
                "don't smoke,thats what outside is for" EEK! but,bbbut,but that would require getting off my lazy ass and moving!
                www.thejimmyhatz.com

Comment

That "quietrock" drywall is pretty amazing. I'd look into it closely. Even outdoes mass load vinyl.

Comment

Working...
                  X