Essential Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential Metal

A compiled list of all genres and what people should listen to.

Sounds like a decent list? I may have to check out a lot of this.

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=474076

RIDICULOUS! He does not include C.O.C anywhere, and includes Slayer as death metal.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I clicked that expecting it to be one of those lame-assed lists put together by people who don't know anything about metal.

But damn! Their Death Metal section got their shit together. I'm very surprised they mentioned Martyr and Quo Vadis! I would add Augury too that list as well though.

Awesome that they showcased Arcturus, Cynic and Atheist by themselves too!

EDIT: Shit, Augury is there under progressive. I'm impressed.
      Last edited by Freyr; 03-03-2007, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
        RIDICULOUS! He does not include C.O.C anywhere, and includes Slayer as death metal.
        I think they said Slayer was the band that got Death Metal started, like how Black Sabbath started Metal.

Comment

everything written about prog and industrial is ridiculous, only a noob can do such a shitty lists.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Any metal list that omits Van Halen is not worth reading.
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

Van Halen has nothing to do with metal..
              "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Van Halen doesn't touch metal.

Comment

No Venom or Celtic Frost for death metal?!?
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Venom & Celtic Frost were both mentioned.

Endrik, what was ridiculous about those sections? Were the descriptions completely inaccurate, were key bands omitted?

I thought overall the guy did a good job.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      Venom & Celtic Frost were both mentioned.
                      Oh yeah. I noticed under thrash and black metal, though.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks god there is Death...
                        Love the music from Chuck (Rest In Peace)
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
                          Thanks god there is Death...
                          Love the music from Chuck (Rest In Peace)
                          Indeed

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            Endrik, what was ridiculous about those sections? Were the descriptions completely inaccurate, were key bands omitted?
                            First, that guy is so un-objective. He lists down the bands he likes instead what's really important. He also doesn't have any clue about the backround of many genres. He talks so much about black and thrash and so little about some other stuff wich has a longer history and needs more specific description.

Progressive and Avante-Garde metal

first it's Avant-Garde

He mentions only a couple of bands who influenced prog metal. He doesn't describe that prog is more about vibe than virtuosity. He doesn't mention the importance of jazz and classical music.

Not a word about Canterbury bands, Kraut rock and what's even more ridiculous not a word about King Crimson. Without those there wouldn't be any Avant-Garde metal.

He doesn't mention Rush. Rush was one of the first prog bands who used heavy guitar sounds, although they weren't metal, all the classic prog metal bands took their sound, chord structures and time signatures. Rush is the most important link between classic prog and prog metal.

He lists down buncha death, power and black metal bands who have only SOME prog in their music. He describe Dream Theater as a power prog band...ehee gimme a break.

What pisses me off the most is that he doesn't mention the pioneers of prog metal. Queensryche, Fates Warning and King's X, they started the whole thing.

Also he doesn't mention the early epic prog bands like Crimson Glory and Savatage.

His essential album list is so awful it makes me puke.
                            Ayreon, Celtic Frost, Cynic, Kong, Opeth, Spiral Architect.
                            I'm not dissing those bands but they are definetly not essential prog metal bands, some are so little prog and some started too late to concider them groundbraking in the genre.
                            Celtic Frost WTF???? Prog???? Cynic was essential in extreme metal genres but NOT in prog, because all the prog-ish and jazzy elements that Cynic did were allready used in prog bazillion times but not in extreme metal, they were groundbraking death metal band. Kong was very underground and didn't had huge impact on latter prog metal bands. The others aren't very influental either, metalheads who like some prog are fans of them, most of the serious prog fans are not.

If he is such an extreme metal fanboy then why he didn't mentioned Watchtower. Very influental prog/thrash band, all extreme metal bands with prog elements followed them. Or what about Voivod or Cacophony.

Not a word about Tool. Probably too trendy for him, yet Tool has a lot more in commong with classic prog than 99% of the bands he knows.

This guy doesn't know shit.

I'll talk more about Industrial later
                            Last edited by Endrik; 03-04-2007, 04:14 AM.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

That list is ass. Just go to http://www.bnrmetal.com/
                              THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
                              X