Ethical Challenges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethical Challenges

I am looking for opinions on a situation.

If any of you have read my blog you will know my company is going through a merger of sorts with the combination of two departments. It has been hard on a lot of people and one person that I have all the respect in the world for in my opinion got shafted.

I am senior member of the management team and have a lot of insight into the people of my department. This person was my first hire and worked directly for me for many years. He has been a valued member of the department and I groomed him to replace me so I could move on to bigger and better things. It worked well and this person was becoming not only a great technical manager but a well respected manager of people as well. It has been an honor and a privileged to have worked with him. This is not a feeling I give to many people. For the other members that are Marines I am sure you can understand this and can attest to this.

I knew from the very start that when the change happened that this person would be an issue and may decide to leave. I wouldn't blame him as I am in the same boat. I expressed this to my boss and the company leadership team at the time of this change.

The company policy is not to provide references for employees and to refer anyone to HR. This person knows I respect him and I have told him that he can always count on me for anything. Today I was asked for a reference and decided to give it. I told the person what they needed to know and was asked what I thought of this person. I told them that I knew the call was coming and it will be tremendous loss loosing this person. I said he has a tremendous desire to learn and has a lot of technical knowledge and is developing into a great manager. I gave him a great review.

This is the first time in my career that I have had an employee ask for a review from me. In the last few years my department has maintained 90% or better every year in retention.

My loyalties are in question right now with the company and I feel like I am a cancer in some ways. I feel the company will go through pain if I leave but ultimately may be better off.

I feel like my ethics were challenged today. I am not sure I did the right thing.

Anyone have any thoughts or would like to tell me I screwed up? I can take it.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

FWIW: There is nothing wrong or disloyal about giving a good employee a good reference when they decide to move on. Not doing so would be f-ing them over in a big way. Business is business, people don't stay in the same jobs forever. I wouldn't give a second thought to what you did except to recognize that it was the most professional and at the same time decent thing to do. You should consider your discussion a private reference that is your own responsibility. That company policy is fairly common and provides cover for managers and the company in dread of suits over negative references.

Comment

Hands down you did the right thing.

Comment

> The company policy is not to provide references for employees
        > and to refer anyone to HR.

uh... 1. why? 2. it's not -your- personal policy, and it's not the policy of whoever reads the reference, so who's gonna blame you for providing information that is known to be useful, true, and really none of anyone else's business if you provide it or not?
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Absolutely did the right thing. Having run small companies and departments in larger ones, the only constant of a good manager is remembering that you work for those below you, not above. Most forget this, and end up like Michael on The Office. He will remember it down the road, and trust me, it will get paid back to you 10-fold over.
          Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

When the company puts itself above the people by instituting a policy of not giving references to those who are leaving the company, the people instantly become more important than the company.

A company must earn respect. It is not given simply because they do anyone a special favor by granting them the priviledge of working for them. When a company refuses to acknowledge someone by giving a reference, it is an insult to that person and a denial of the benefit they have been to that company, and therefore the company forfeits whatever respect they think they deserve.

What company is this? I want to be sure never to do any business with them if that's their attitude.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Any company who would callously and actively prevent someone who they are going to discard because they are no longer useful to them from getting a better position elsewhere is not worth working for, or being loyal to.
              Just a guitar player...

Comment

You did the right thing. A business that doesn't want you to give references is just trying to keep their employees from getting another job. This guy may only be a work friend but he is a friend to you so don't question your loyalty. You keep your loyalty just to a friend. Just make sure no one at your work finds out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  You did the right thing. A business that doesn't want you to give references is just trying to keep their employees from getting another job.
                  +1. That's a BS policy, likely just to make it harder for employees to explore other opportunities. F**k them, and if it goes so far as them alienating supervisors for doing the right thing and giving references, then they ought to lose a few more good employees and learn the lesson that you don't keep good people by making it hard for them to leave. You keep good people by making them want to stay.

Comment

you guys are missing the point on the policy of executives and managers not giving references. They can still give references but it has to be through HR first. Its a legal cover your/the companys ass process.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Could be. But that's not how he originally described it. And now his loyalties are being questioned just for not going through HR first?

Comment

All you did was give a guy a reference, and it sounds like you respect him and he deserved a good reference. It was his choice to leave, not yours. Are you being disloyal becase you gave a glowing reference so that he may have a future with another company and it went against policy?
                        Policy is typically there for legal reasons, a dept that looks out for the legal interests of the company. You did what you felt was right at the time and you can't go backwards.
                        Please quit punishing yourself. If your loyalties are being questioned from within the company by others, then the solution is to just refer them to HR next time.
                        Being made to feel like a cancer is a feeling I'm familar with as of late.. but my circumstances were differing. While its true a house divided cannot stand, its also true that you should do what is best for you, but your employee left for different reasons and what you feel and how you acted to that is an aftereffect.
                        You are not dividing the company by giving a reference.
                        Last edited by charvelguy; 03-03-2007, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                          Could be. But that's not how he originally described it. And now his loyalties are being questioned just for not going through HR first?
                          Basically. I did not know that I had to send them to HR. I did know that the policy was to only confirm employment and title with the company. I decided to answer other questions.

Thanks for the responses. After not having slept on it for a night I have come to the conclusion that I am a cancer to the new organization. I need to get out myself and may do so before I have another job. I have been looking but not as actively as I should. If I leave it will force me to an active posture.
                          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

you guys are missing the point on the policy of executives and managers not giving references. They can still give references but it has to be through HR first. Its a legal cover your/the companys ass process
                            You only need to cover your ass legally when giving bad references. Then you only say Would you rehire? Yes or No , How long were they there. Companies don't sue for giving references, but former employees will when you give them a bad one. I am a little confused on the original post if you should send them to HR or they don't give references at all. HR would not say anything about how good or bad of an employee this guy is.
                            EDIT: you guys were too fast for me.
                            Last edited by Rich#6; 03-03-2007, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I need to get out myself and may do so before I have another job. I have been looking but not as actively as I should. If I leave it will force me to an active posture.
                              Never quit a job without having another. It is a lot easier to get a job when you still have one from a new employers view. It is also not so easy on the savings account.

Comment

Working...
                              X