JCF Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCF Chat

I've always seen a few threads here and there about people complaining that people are never in the chat... and of course, no-one is in the chat right now either :P

But I was wondering, why the JCF chat wasn't an IRC based chat. That way more people could run applications like mIRC and just stay logged in and idle in the channel. Which would mean the channel would be used more often.

Just an idea of course, but it could be a way to bring the community alittle closer together.

*wanders away*

Nice idea...
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Most people can't use IRC based chat from work. We block all ports other than 80 and 443.
      Having a web based chat tool is great.
      And if you are using IE7 or Firefox, you can have it running in one tab while browsing in another.
      -Rick

Comment

You can run web-based IRC clients too.

I just had a bad habit of exiting firefox with multiple windows open. That plus I use mIRC or xChat all the time. *shrugs*

What work places block all kinds of ports like that? That's sickening!

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Most people can't use IRC based chat from work. We block all ports other than 80 and 443.
          Having a web based chat tool is great.
          And if you are using IE7 or Firefox, you can have it running in one tab while browsing in another.
          Also true...
          But, if you are at work why are you chatting and not working?...:ROTF:
          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
            Also true...
            But, if you are at work why are you chatting and not working?...:ROTF:
            excellent point, and then we all cry and wonder why everything in wal mart says made in China.....
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
              excellent point, and then we all cry and wonder why everything in wal mart says made in China.....
              But... you wouldn't be working on a computer if you're making stove top accessories! Hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                Yep it`s true...
                Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Freyr View Post
                  But... you wouldn't be working on a computer if you're making stove top accessories! Hahaha.
                  can't argue with that!
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Because this is better. The chat was on IRC originally. Most people used the Java based IRC client on this site rather than mIRC or any other program. Also a lot of people were having issues with the web based client so they never went on. A flash based chat room has a lot more integration with the membership and moderation of the forums and has no conflicts with peoples computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyr View Post
                      What work places block all kinds of ports like that? That's sickening!
                      Places with high security requirements.

And yea... I can do my job and still have a web browser running on one of my monitors.
                      Some of us are capable of doing more than one thing at a time.
                      -Rick

Comment

i have to have a few beers in me so that i can relate to Budman in the chat room, and so far that will not fly at work.
                        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Flash Chat is far better than nay IRC. You can do a lot of things with it you cant. Plus it looks nicer and is easier to access.

Comment

Hehe.. A forum where everyone can talk about the chat, but no one seems to be interested in using it.. what a situation..
                            "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

There's a chat? LOL
                              |My CSG gallery|
                              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Working...
                              X