Bowflex machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowflex machines

I've been thinking about buying the bowflex ultimate2.

I hate going to the gym. Stupid 2 year contracts plus monthly fees, it stinks, muscled up mongos sweating on everything...

Anyone here have a bowflex? Are they worth the $2300?
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Originally posted by St.James View Post
    I've been thinking about buying the bowflex ultimate2.

I hate going to the gym. Stupid 2 year contracts plus monthly fees, it stinks, muscled up mongos sweating on everything...

Anyone here have a bowflex? Are they worth the $2300?
    The Bowflex makes an excellent clothes hangar.
    If you don't have the motivation to go to the gym you will NEVER have the motivation to work out alone at home.

Comment

I'd look for a used one. This goes for just about all exercise equipment. Tons of people buy it, & like John said most of it sits collecting dust.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        If you don't have the motivation to go to the gym you will NEVER have the motivation to work out alone at home.
        I agree 1000000%!
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

Bowflex is a good machine. Its awkward at first but its good once you get used to it..............

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            I totally disagree with that.....if you have no motivation whatsoever to work out it wont matter if you do it at home or at the gym. If you are motivated to work out then you can in fact do it at home. I prefer home workouts as I hate the gym scene & having to wait for a machine to get free only to have someone elses funk all over it At home I dont have to wait and I dont have to drive 20 minutes to the gym and wait for some dude pumping 40 pounds a million times...then stand for a minute looking at his gurly muscles in the mirror to see if the grew since his last rep :ROTF:

Check out Boflex machines on eBay..could save yourself dome coin.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Stay away from Bowflex stuff. The best weight-lifting investment you can make is a nice set of dumbbells (I picked up a set of 2lb-50lb increments, with rack for $150 used), a nice squat rack, and a 300lb. Olympic set.

I suggest the following:

300lb. Olympic Set (usually on sale for $99 @ Dick's or Sears)

Powertec Power Rack (skip the lat tower)--$400 from my local dealer
              http://www.powertecfitness.com/power_rack_system.htm

Ironmaster bench:
              http://www.ironmaster.com/store/cust...hp?productid=3

You can do all needed exercises with this equipment and get FAR better results than you would with a Bowflex.

Forgot about this deal. If there is a Sam's Club near you they have this setup which can't be beat for the $'s. It's pretty sturdy and has a lot of features.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...151&pCatg=4887
              Last edited by Thrust; 01-19-2007, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I used to be a GYM guy but now with a family, kids, and a demanding job there is just no way to make time to get there. I have the nautilis dumbells that are adjustable from 2-50 lbs and they are good but dont go heavy enough...I then have a bench, freeweights...cable crossover and an eliptical machine all in the basement. Too much stuff to have around so I want a bowflex as well. I think it makes sense for the home gym user who is looking to stay in shape (not be a powerlifting meathead which I used to be). I dont have one but have tried them before. They are kind of weird compared to free weights but I am sure there would just be a adjustment period. Other than that you can do tons of stuff with them while only using a small footprint compared to having multiple machines and freeweights to clutter up the room

Comment

For me it's not really a motivational thing, but more of an OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) thing. I don't like handling certain things people have used or sweat all over and lord forbid someone sneeze or cough near me.

I'm very much a research and investigative type. So I notice and pay attention to things most people are oblivious too... One trip to the gym a couple of years ago I saw dudes in the locker room handling their twigs and giggleberries, taking a piss, etc. then just walking out to use the equipment without washing up first. That's nasty! And no I wasn't "looking", but it doesn't take a genius to see what someone is doing without actually looking at their junk!

With the way I work and the odd hours I keep going to a gym is pretty much not an option anyway. So I was looking at the different optuions like free weights or one of the total gym machines or a solo flex or bowflex.

What it comes down to is space. The more the machine can do in the least amount of space is the way I need to go with it.

So I guess I got the answer I was looking for... Great machine, but weird at first?

Comment

Originally posted by St.James View Post
                    What it comes down to is space. The more the machine can do in the least amount of space is the way I need to go with it.

If space is a concern check out one of these:

http://www.powertecfitness.com/workbench_lev_gym.htm

http://www.powertecfitness.com/workbench_vertical.htm

You still reap some of the benefits of free-weights while maintaining a small footprint.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust View Post
                      If space is a concern check out one of these:

http://www.powertecfitness.com/workbench_lev_gym.htm

http://www.powertecfitness.com/workbench_vertical.htm

You still reap some of the benefits of free-weights while maintaining a small footprint.
                      Those are pretty cool and way less high dollar than the bowflex.. Thanks!

Comment

I picked up bowflex about 9 years ago at the recommendation of a friend. It is the first version, but I got it out of the Boeing classifieds for $500. It has some extra power rods and the squat attachment. I have used it on and off since then and for the most part I like it. My brother and a few friends also have them and they like them too.

I also have powerblocks (5 to 50lbs) and a pull up bar that hooks to the door jam. I use that stuff more now, but for if you want to bench something heavy and don't have a spotter a machine is nice. Plus it is nice for seated rows and things like that.

I don't think I would spend $2K on one, but the new ones have some nicer features than my old one so they may be more worth it.

Comment

craigslist is your friend for picking this stuff up. I saw a good bowflex for $500 but it was snatched up pretty quick. Luckily when I'm in Cleveland, I have a gym with the corporate Apt. In Cinci, I took out a family membership for the Y.

Comment

Working...
                          X