No announcement yet.

what makes good band chemisty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our "founding" three members - myself, my brother (rhythm guitar) and the drummer have a good chemistry, although we don't hang out together all that often. Once you bring the vocalist and bassist into the mix, there gets to be a bit of tension due to personality differences and their off-stage involvement in band matters. Being the band manager by default, I end up having to sort out the various conflicts, even those having little or nothing to do with band business. Truth be told, it takes a lot of the fun out of everything.

I've always made a point of keeping band relationships separate from all others, because I don't want any internal conflicts due to "playing favorites" or behind-the-scenes crap. Frankly, if someone else in the band would step up and volunteer to handle things like booking, I might actually enjoy myself.
    sigpic

Comment

Each situation is different. I've been in bands where we only saw each other at rehearsal and gigs, and everything went great. Everybody showed up knowing their parts and it was smooth sailing.

The "family" band can be great too, but it's a two-edged sword. A couple of people have mentioned spouses ruining things - the "Yoko Syndrome"! Well, that can be tricky. The spouse can be an ally or an enemy of the band, depends on how the band accepts the spouse. If that spouse is a problem, don't alienate your bandmate, let him/her figure that out and deal with it. It's not your place to get between them.

Now if the guy/girl starts dropping their responsibilities to the band due to wanting to stay home and bone their SO, that's another story. But it's your bandmate with the problem. Easy to blame their SO, but it's your bandmate who's blowing you off.

But that's the problem with the "family" band, band members getting new "family" outside the band that bandmates don't hit it off with. It's easier to do the "professional" relationship once a week where everyone knows up front that each has other responsibilities outside of, and more important than, the band.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Its funny, the only reason i got in the band i am in now, is because everyone is on the same page, and it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. I hadnt played in a band for 3 years up til then. I had had it with egos (singers mostly), people who cant show up to practice, dont have rent for rehearsal space, get so loaded they forget songs, etc.

With the band im in now, we do hang out outside of practice, except our bass player. And the reason is that we're all level headed, nice guys, on the same page as to what our band should be- have fun, play music, drink beer. Thats it.
        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Friendship
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
              No singer and a drum machine. Ive not been in a band but all my friends bands have either had a singer that was an asshole or a drummer that was just plain nuts.:ROTF:
              I was going to say solo act but, but you nailed it !!!!

Comment

Working...
              X