tire kicking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire kicking?

to be honest, i hadn't heard this phrase until recently finding a couple threads on this site. the irony is that all retailers local to myself (and even mail order companies) give me the impression that's what they think of me. but how many times do you go guitar hunting only to find no-one has any Pro/MG jacksons (or any jacksons at all) and insist on a full deposit upfront for a "special order" with no reasonable or realistic ETA? i find it to be very uninspiring to walk into a shop to find nothing of interest, have no way of trying out a guitar without commiting to something you haven't verified you are happy with, knowing you won't get a refund on a so-called "special order". is this normal, or just the uk? am i a tire kicker, or am i being cautious, or what?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

yes Jacksons are kinda hard to get...

There are some shipping problems for Jacksons to Europe...
    A dealer said that to me...and he also said if I would place an
    order I must wait till february 2007
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Well i think you also should see the dealer's side. My local store hardly has any jacksons and if then only strat shape jacksons. Now if i would go in there and demand they should order a Kelly or Warrior for me to try out and i then decide i won't buy it because it doesn't feel "right" they will be stuck with the guitar forever.
      After all a dealer has a business to run. Yeah it's sad you can't try the stuff but i think it's easier then to go through a big online dealer and send the guitar back if you don't like it as it's normally "no questions asked". And it's kinda hard to convince a dealer to order something which is hard to impossible to sell.

Flo
      http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

You can order a guitar and if you don`t like it you tell the local dealer to send it back...But if you pay the accaunttation(or how it`s called) he keeps it and that is what accaunttations are for..
        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I agree to look at it from the dealer's point of view. My mate had a little music shop, which died on it's arse in the mid-90s when everyone started to get online. They'd want to come in to try stuff in his place, give it a good old work-out (making it then "ex-demo" ie. not brand new), then would leave to "think about it". You'd not see them again for a little while until they came in to try something else, and when you ask if they were still interested in the previous stuff they wanted, it would turn out they had bought it on-line from a discount box-shifter somewhere the other side of the country.
          Now, we all want the best deal on stuff, that's only natural, and I won't pay the RRP on ANYTHING, but our quest for the lowest possible prices has really killed off those small guitar shops, the ones we used to go to and hang out in all day, drinking their coffee and showing off, talking shit about the gear we were dreaming of. Nowadays, if you want to go and get your grubby mitts on anything you have to go to one of the soul-less warehouses (Musical Exchanges etc) or the guitar shows. That's just the way the market has changed, you just have to live with it.

I'm sure your local friendly neighbourhood dealer will be pleased to do business with you if you want to buy something, but if the only time he sees you is when you are looking for a few bob's worth of guitar, which you never actually seem to purchase, trust me, he will have you marked down as a tosser, especially if you look round and sneer at the stock he has got in. Try not to let the fact you are "uninspired" show!
          If you are in there week after week, getting to know the staff, buying your strings there, spending a few quid on accessories etc, then you will have more chance of him doing you a good price on the kit and getting it in for you.
          When was the last time you got your strings there? (Can't remember the last time I did, I always buy mine mail order, I'll expect a tepid welcome when I want my new guitar!)
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

^^I agree...
            I buy my strings always in the same shop(glasbeni center curin)...
            The dealer there is just fun and always up for a good joke...
            And he always gives some advice if I ask him for some amps and stuff...
            And when I bought my RR-3, I said:"come on give me something for free
            for you promotion.." he first gave me 3 picks and then he gave me this
            wall hang thingy...and it`s just great...
            And when the warranty papers were missing I just gave him a call and
            I`ve got `em the next day...
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I noticed some Charvel flyers at the local Rock Shop, so I asked the "dude" at the counter when they'll be getting some. He says "we'll probably only get one in for the whole country because they're SO EXPENSIVE and that will go to Auckland". Hopefully he picked up on my sarcastic smile, but knowing those retards, probably not...

This the same place that quoted me "SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS AND THREE MONTHS" to get a Rhoads truss-rod cover.
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-25-2008, 01:27 AM.
                Just a guitar player...

Comment

Even guitars of the exact same model can be a little different, so there is nothing wrong with wanting to thoroughly play the exact guitar you are going to buy.

Are there mail orders in the UK that have a return for any reason policy?????
                  Last edited by tanpsi; 12-02-2006, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                    I agree to look at it from the dealer's point of view. My mate had a little music shop, which died on it's arse in the mid-90s when everyone started to get online. They'd want to come in to try stuff in his place, give it a good old work-out (making it then "ex-demo" ie. not brand new), then would leave to "think about it". You'd not see them again for a little while until they came in to try something else, and when you ask if they were still interested in the previous stuff they wanted, it would turn out they had bought it on-line from a discount box-shifter somewhere the other side of the country.
                    Now, we all want the best deal on stuff, that's only natural, and I won't pay the RRP on ANYTHING, but our quest for the lowest possible prices has really killed off those small guitar shops, the ones we used to go to and hang out in all day, drinking their coffee and showing off, talking shit about the gear we were dreaming of. Nowadays, if you want to go and get your grubby mitts on anything you have to go to one of the soul-less warehouses (Musical Exchanges etc) or the guitar shows. That's just the way the market has changed, you just have to live with it.

I'm sure your local friendly neighbourhood dealer will be pleased to do business with you if you want to buy something, but if the only time he sees you is when you are looking for a few bob's worth of guitar, which you never actually seem to purchase, trust me, he will have you marked down as a tosser, especially if you look round and sneer at the stock he has got in. Try not to let the fact you are "uninspired" show!
                    If you are in there week after week, getting to know the staff, buying your strings there, spending a few quid on accessories etc, then you will have more chance of him doing you a good price on the kit and getting it in for you.
                    When was the last time you got your strings there? (Can't remember the last time I did, I always buy mine mail order, I'll expect a tepid welcome when I want my new guitar!)
                    THANK YOU for saving me the effort of typing up a a big rant as to what I as an ex. Mom and Pop owner think

Comment

I will pay a bit more if a shop has good service and is not GC, but there is a limit. The limit depends on how expensive the item is and how bad I want it. I have a real hard time buying a guitar I haven't played. The variability of feel between guitars is too great from some companies for me to blindly order a guitar in the hope that it will play well. The exception to that are specific models like LTD, JCF, PCS, Shannon Soloists, etc. To me they are collection/player guitars. I play them, but they aren't my every day players. If I want an every day player I want to make sure I really like it.

I would like to buy a GMP...they look cool, but I have never played one. I see them for sale on line and the price is ok if I could play it, but a big high for a gamble. I would like to buy a Fender strat too, but they all play a bit different so it is hard to buy one I can't play.

I think this is the conflict of players and shops. Many of us want to play a guitar before we buy it, but the shops can't afford to stock enough guitars to have what everyone wants. They get a sale when they happen to have a guitar the is close enough to what you need at a price you want. Custom order stuff sits because the price is high and if it is the wrong color people are less likely to hand over $2K+.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbug View Post
                        I would like to buy a GMP...they look cool, but I have never played one. I see them for sale on line and the price is ok if I could play it, but a big high for a gamble. .....
                        Unfortunately, GMP went belly up last year or so, there are no new ones anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                          Unfortunately, GMP went belly up last year or so, there are no new ones anymore
                          Yup, but used ones show up from time to time. I would rather have a used one with a few dings in it...then I don't feel so bad about being the first to ding a new guitar.

Comment

Working...
                          X