Music123 Bankrupt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music123 Bankrupt!

Apparently GC and Musicians Friend are trying to take over the planet...

On Nov. 22, Guitar Center announced it has signed an asset purchase agreement to acquire substantially all the assets of The Woodwind & The Brasswind under section 363 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. Under the terms of the agreement, Guitar Center will acquire The Woodwind & The Brasswind's inventory of band and orchestra and combo instruments, accounts receivable, trade names, and certain other intangible assets. The transaction is subject to a number of conditions, including bankruptcy court approval, and is also subject to overbid at a bankruptcy auction expected to be held in January.
    A court hearing is scheduled for Tues., Dec. 5 to approve the bid rules for the sale of the business to Guitar Center's Musician's Friend division. Published reports indicate there will be other bidders for The Woodwind & The Brasswind property.
    Marty Albertson, chairman and CEO of Guitar Center, said, "The acquisition of assets of The Woodwind & The Brasswind, including the Woodwind and Brasswind and Music123 Web sites, will enable us to further expand the already strong combo instrument business at Musician's Friend as well as build out our direct response band and orchestra business. We are excited about the opportunity to broaden our customer base and continue the growth of our direct response business."
    The Woodwind & The Brasswind filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Indiana on Nov. 21. The proposed asset acquisition agreement was entered into by the Musician's Friend subsidiary of Guitar Center. Under the agreement, only very limited trade obligations and other pre-petition liabilities of The Woodwind & The Brasswind are being assumed.
    The demise of the South Bend, Ind.-based dealership, which booked 2005 sales of $136 million (down from $145 million in 2004), appeared to stem from the outcome of a lawsuit involving former minority partners Stephen and Richard Zapf. The Woodwind & The Brasswind had acquired Philadelphia-based Zapf Music Stores, Inc. in 2002, with the former brick-and-mortar business becoming the Internet-only marketer Music123. While Music123 prospered following the deal with sales escalating from $20 million to $58 million annually over the next three years, the relationship between the Zapf brothers and Woodwind CEO Dennis Bamber soured, and both Zapfs were terminated in 2004. The Zapfs then sued, Woodwind countersued, and the court found in favor of the Zapfs in September to the tune of $9 million. In a report published in the South Bend Tribune, Bamber said the bankruptcy filing was necessitated to protect the company from the outcome of the lawsuit. The court filing also cited the costs involved with closing a New Jersey distribution facility and the opening of a new distribution center, as well as an $800,000 expense related to software licensing and upgrades.
    Bamber told the newspaper he expects to stay on with the company he founded in 1979, either as an employee or consultant. All of The Woodwind & The Brasswind's approximately 240 employees are expected to also retain the positions with the company.
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Holy cow...
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Just great. Musicians Friend are bunch of jerks. I hate those guys. I tried to be honest with them recently and they rammed it my ass with no vaseline. I should have just kept the stuff.

Comment

Good riddance. Music123 was the worst online company I ever dealt with.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter View Post
          Apparently GC and Musicians Friend are trying to take over the planet...
          Trying? Unfortunately, they're actually doing it. Since the GC opened near me a few years ago, 2 of the 3 "big" local dealers have shut their doors. Including one just last month. And, of the few others left, most are pretty much downsizing and focusing their business on only used/vintage gear. Sad to see. Not to mention GC pretty much sucks.

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          Good riddance. Music123 was the worst online company I ever dealt with.
          +1. This would explain the hard time I got recently on a return/refund.

Comment

Holy crap like MF/GC needs any more "assets". On a side note, I would never buy a guitar online from MF. I've ordered a few small things (namely a crate stool for like $30 and a box of strings) but other than not much. I just won't buy something I can't see, feel, play, or hear.

Comment

I just bought a Tech 21 Trademark 300 head from Music 123 last week... no problems whatsoever. I guess the bankruptcy would explain why it was so cheap on closeout, though.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just what GC/MF needs--less competition.

Comment

This makes 2 of the largest musical instrument retailers bankrupt in 2006. Brook Mays closed about 90 stores a couple months ago and now this. GC, Sam Ash, Musicians Friend etc... have the potential to put alot of independant music retailers into extinction.
                  Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Fucking conglomerates!!!
                    Who needs them anyway?!?
                    Stick with the smaller owned/Mom & Pop places.

Fuck the Guitar Centers/Sam Ash's/Musicians Friends of the world!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      Trying? Unfortunately, they're actually doing it. Since the GC opened near me a few years ago, 2 of the 3 "big" local dealers have shut their doors. Including one just last month. And, of the few others left, most are pretty much downsizing and focusing their business on only used/vintage gear. Sad to see. Not to mention GC pretty much sucks.
                      WHY does GC put M&P's out of business? Some of the GCs I been in have been really lame. Plus, their prices aren't all that great. With MAP protection, the playing field gets leveled a lot. Actually, you probably have a chance of getting a better deal at an M&P. I sure wish I had MAP protection to the extent of music gear dealers in MY business.

Comment

Originally posted by VulfgangPfuck View Post
                        Fucking conglomerates!!!
                        Who needs them anyway?!?
                        Stick with the smaller owned/Mom & Pop places.

Fuck the Guitar Centers/Sam Ash's/Musicians Friends of the world!
                        Where do you buy groceries, plywood, candy, toys, video games, clothes, cookware, computers, stereo equipment, aspirin, etc. or go to eat when you go out?

I'm assuming you don't shop at Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Safeway, Circuit City, Best Buy, Toys R Us, McDonald's, Ruby Tuesday, Bennigans, or any other place like them.

And when you shop at Mom & Pop places, what products do you buy? There aren't many made that aren't part of a corporate conglomerate.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

oh, sad day, man.

i had a bunch of classical instrumental teachers back in the day who used to order exclusively with W/B.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                            WHY does GC put M&P's out of business? Some of the GCs I been in have been really lame. Plus, their prices aren't all that great. With MAP protection, the playing field gets leveled a lot. Actually, you probably have a chance of getting a better deal at an M&P. I sure wish I had MAP protection to the extent of music gear dealers in MY business.
                            Because they buy for less and spend an assload of money on advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter View Post
                              Because they buy for less and spend an assload of money on advertising.
                              Plus they have selection. I can't have that weird of taste that I can't get EB Super Slinkys locally?

Comment

Working...
                              X