No announcement yet.

my dilemma... need your guys' advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do both but focus mainly on the bigger band.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Thor Von Clemson View Post
      Now here's the kink... There's another band who I am good friends with around here. The guys are a bit older than me (late 20's, early 30's) but are great musicians. They are talented, organized, and they have the drive and ambition to do something more than just play bars if they get the shot. They want me to play with them and I told them we could talk about it. I have 5 weeks to learn their tunes (which would not be that hard). The music they play is not as fast, driving, or techincally demanding as I am used to but it is very heavy and has a great groove to it... (they tune to B). I like playing it but I admit it does get a little boring. The appealing thing is they are very tight onstage and I think they have a lot of potential. Plus they are already quite established. They've played separately with some bigs bands like Yngwie (I know he is kind of a gomer but hey... opening for him would have been cool right). I can post a link to their myspace site if you guys wanna check em out.

The bad thing about playing with them is that sometimes it gets a little too serious. There is sometimes no middle ground between "take your music seriously but not so serious that you are not having fun and have fun but not too much that you are not taking your music seriously." I think the fact that I am 10 years younger than them and I can play their stuff is a little intimidating. Sometimes it causes egos to come out and ya.... you guys know how that is.

Any advice?
      OK, having been around the local metal scene for quite a few years, I feel compelled to tell you: do what will make you HAPPY. There are currently dozens of local bands playing downtuned "groove" metal, and the number of metal-friendly venues is diminishing rapidly. Support for metal in the Twin Cites has dropped like a rock in the past two years, and there is such a glut of that particular style that opportunities will become very limited. Bands are breaking up left and right, and the people trying to get new projects off the ground are having an especially tough time finding drummers and bassists.

I'm not saying you should stay with your current band if it's not progressing, or to forget the other band despite a different musical direction, but anyone expecting a 100% exclusive relationship is crazy. The Twin Cities metal scene is like the American version of Gothenburg, with people playing in multiple bands or bands swapping members. There's always talk from "outsiders" commenting on how wonderful the local scene is, but in truth, it actually sucks a great deal for original metal acts of any sub-genre right now. My immediate advice would be to trying lighting a fire under your current bandmates' backsides. If you are really happy with the current style and just need them to get motivated, it seems to me that it's worth trying. After two years of writing and practice, it seems premature to call it a day after two shows.

If all else fails, I probably know some bands of a more compatible style with your own, who are looking for guitarists. There's always at least one.
      sigpic

Comment

Different decade, different genre, but still the same ole same ole. Maybe you guys should start a dropped tuning acoustic act as a duo and play metal versions on acoustics with sampled parts and do the niteclub/lounge circuit. j/k..

Comment

ryan, pm me with some of these bands that you are talking about. I want to check them out to see what they are like.
          Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
          The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

update. I talked to the other guitarist in my current band (the one who is going through the divorce... please pray for him) and we agreed we need to start something new and serious. He says that writing, playing, and spending time with his friends help him to take his mind off his current situation so we are probably going to get started right away.

Ideally, I would like to be able to play in both groups. Since the musical styles are completely different between the new band that I may join and the group my friend and I are going to start, I could focus on writing for both bands pretty easily. As long as I was organized with my schedules it seems like it could work out. I know it would not work that way and someone would think I would not be 100% dedicated to them which makes the choice hard.

I spoke to the other band, and basically they would want me to buy a seven. I have always wanted a seven but to swing it I would have to sell my SLS as well as my newly acquired ltd to afford something decent. They want me to play a Schecter C-7 blackjack which is something I doubt I would be able to do. No offense to anyone who has them or likes them... I just do not care for them.

I have no problem selling my LTD (I AM trying to sell it right now in the classifieds after all....) but I have a serious problem selling my SLS. I know I would regret it and it would be very difficult to replace that guitar with anything else. I don't want to get stuck with something crappy that I will never be able to sell afterwards if something happened with this band and I left so I would have to get something like a used Universe or a Carvin DC727. I wouldn't mind a Carvin but it takes a while for them to be built and apparently the guys in the band can not wait that long...

It seems like the drama is starting already..

Comment

I would go where your heart and head seem to be and that seems to me to be working and writing with your friend. Maybe you are confused because you could jump right into the other band and seem to have what you want.
              The fact that it is so easy....means the instant satisfaction wont last. Don't confuse instant satisfaction with a goal that could bring you true happiness. Create your own thing with your friend and you will be more pleased with the outcome I bet!

Comment

Thor, could you get away with downtuning the LTD for the time being? It'd be like doing away with your high E string, which might be a problem depending on the music you're playing with the new band.

fwiw, this other band is sounding like a bit of a PITA. Dictating what model guitar you need to buy, demanding complete & exclusive commitment. You're already wondering whether you can fool around behind their backs with your old co-guitarist. sounds like you're marrying a chick you're not really in love with, just because she's there and handy.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Pickup an ibanez 7321 or 7421 off ebay and keep what chew got

Comment

I'd have no problem unloading the LTD for an Ibby 7321 and upgrading the pickups. I have always wanted a seven and I think it'd be something I could do a lot with regardless of what band I was in.

I hate to say this (I should not have to say it) but if those guys are cool with the Ibby I'd be down with it.

I could still keep my beloved SLS...

Comment

[quote=Thor Von Clemson;825818]
                      I hate to say this (I should not have to say it) but if those guys are cool with the Ibby I'd be down with it.

quote]

if they wont give you the freedom to use an ibanez then i would run!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
                        Life is too short to pass up opportunities. I would try the other band while your friend is going through his deal. You will know quickly if it's going to work for you or not. If it works out, good for you. If it turns out to be a waste of time, no big loss.

My .02
                        Originally posted by RattleHead View Post
                        Life's also too short not to do what you actually want to do.

...just complicating things some more.
                        Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                        Do both. Don't let anyone put chains on you. If they really want you, they'll accept it.

And life it too short to NOT stick with your friend!

How about we all just agree that life is too short in general

If they wont give you the freedom to use a Jackson, let alone an Ibanez I'd head for the door...just me though....

Comment

I got done playing my baritone (the tune to B remembeR) through my rig and I am thinking it will sound too scooped/heavy for them. The other guy uses a Mesa DR and an LTD Eclipse 1000 with a jb/59 pup configuration. I am thinking the tone is not what they are going to want and they are going to start messing with my amp. They are pretty picky about that sort of thing.

I told them what kind of tubes it has (peavey 6L6's I think) and they almost sounded dissapointed that I don't have an amp with EL34's in it. It gets that bad sometimes lol.

Sounds like I have sort of made up my mind already huh. I guess if they are willing to be more open to things then I am game but I doubt that will be the case. I will let you guys know.

Comment

sounds like they are pretty close-minded about everything that isnt the way they like it. just for kicks id go to one practice and when they started messing with my amp and saying it had to be their way id call them by the names of various high ranking nazis and start screaming in german

Comment

here's the deal bro - how much is that new band paying you?

because if anyone was going to dictate what guitar I played or what fucking tubes were in my amplifier, I'd be expecting a goddamn weekly paycheck. that's total bullshit, and you have to paid to take bullshit. everyone knows that.
                              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                              X