Locally grown fruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locally grown fruits

and veggies. There's a big push on to buy these locally. We buy fruits and veggies from God knows where. Do you guys care whether you chile came from Chile? Does it matter that your bellpepper travelled 3000 miles to get to you?
    Last edited by fett; 11-22-2006, 09:47 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Bored again, fett?

What next, copied text from your cereal boxes?
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

No, this is serious. I listen to the BBC. And I act and don't react. So there. You blood letting person, you.

Comment

Actually you're right, Fett. It is a pretty serious issue where foods come from and the conditions in which they were grown, picked and such.

A short while back when spinach was pulled from the shelves because of e-coli I read this thing about the conditions the workers in the fields have to work in.

They were saying most of the crops in America are picked by illegal aliens who have no facilities to use the bathroom, wash up or anything like that. So where do they go? You guessed it in the fields. How and where do they wash up afterwards? That's right, they don't.

This is the stuff making it to the shelves. I'm half assed sure things are being monitored a little more closely now, but what about the stuff coming from other countries?

You have to be careful these days and by all means wash fruits and veggies thoroughly!
        Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

[quote=St.James;821132] Fett.quote] Keep the Fukking "F" lower case. I'm not "Fett". I'm "fett" And I'm not drunk. Just bored.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

I used to have a Border E-Collie and it was the best dog I ever had.:ROTF:

Comment

Well, that's a good point, St. James. Gross, but good. What about bagged salads? Aren't those pre-washed?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It's organic. No shit. Dude The point is that my garlic comes from China. And these guys in the UK are shipping the I forgot seafood to Thailand to be shucked packed and shipped back cheaper than doing it there. WTF.

Comment

WTF are you guys talking about..............................

.........................maybe its my beer
                  Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

it certainly is a concern. If a capsicum (bellpepper to you) has to travel that far to get to your dinner table, pretty sure it's going to be all stringy and sinewy. That's a long walk for any vegetable.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

We are talking about fruits that have to travel 3000 miles to get to Safeway. And the veggies may have to travel even farther. It's about the air miles and the pollution that puts your KEEWEE on your plate.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        it certainly is a concern. If a capsicum (bellpepper to you) has to travel that far to get to your dinner table, pretty sure it's going to be all stringy and sinewy. That's a long walk for any vegetable
                        I buy "Hot House" bells from Canada. They don't look good, but they are cheap. I am going to live to be 100. Because, I eat my bells; carrots; broc and cabbage all the time.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          Well, that's a good point, St. James. Gross, but good. What about bagged salads? Aren't those pre-washed?
                          Actually that's the stuff that was recalled... Think about it. If you use a drying cloth that gets wet it takes less than an hour for that wet cloth to start forming bacteria. So 3 hours later you use that cloth again to dry your hands. You probably transfered more bacteria and germs back to your hands than you had before you washed them.

So imagine a bag of lettuce that's been washed and bagged for a week before it's purchased.

Anything "pre-washed" gets washed again before it hits my table.
                          Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

I try my hardest to buy local fruit/veg/meat but if I can't find what I'm looking for local I still always buy organic. You don't want the crap used in non-organic farming in you. Additionally, buying local supports local farmers (who need support in most instances) and buying organic puts more profit into farmers hands. It costs a bit more to buy organic but, IMO, those costs are well justified. The problem is that Wal-Mart just became the largest purchaser of organic products in the U.S. This means it will drive down prices--once again hurting the farmer.

Comment

I think you are safer buying fruits and veggies from china than mcdonalds/{fast food restaurant here} with preservatives, MSG, hydrogenated cornhole oil and "natural flavorings" though.

To your point, local/organic even better once you get the fast food monkey / coca cola addiction off your back.
                              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                              X