Any tips on will power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on will power?

I'm trying to cut down my pot smoking a bit, but the temptation coupled with my poor will power is a bad mix.

Anyone got any tips?

Start exercising or start chewing bubblegums
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Do a "Walkabout" and check back in with us in 6 months. Great movie, BTW.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

When I went to quit smoking (after a pack a day for 15 years), I just said to myself: "Fuck it. I am stronger than the drug, and I don't need help doing it." No patch, gum, fucking NOTHING. Cold turkey. It's been 7 years now, with no lapses. It was sort of a pride thing, in that I couldn't let myself down by smoking again. Plus it's really stupid and I was sick of being an idiot. You just gotta say that you can do it and prove to yourself that you are strong enough.

Best of luck dude.
        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
          When I went to quit smoking (after a pack a day for 15 years), I just said to myself: "Fuck it. I am stronger than the drug, and I don't need help doing it." No patch, gum, fucking NOTHING. Cold turkey. It's been 7 years now, with no lapses. It was sort of a pride thing, in that I couldn't let myself down by smoking again. Plus it's really stupid and I was sick of being an idiot. You just gotta say that you can do it and prove to yourself that you are strong enough.

Best of luck dude.
          Thats how you do it for sure,
          I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
            This is exaxtly how I did it in November 1999. It´s a question of your will and nothing else. There´s no substitute I know of. Although if it would be to stop smoking cigarettes I´d say patch or gum might help. A secretary from the office here did it with these aides and it worked for her.

Comment

Trying to pace self is difficult, it's either all or none. Weekends would be nice, but dam, come Monday, yep... Tuesday, shoot, why not. etc etc

Lose contact with your contacts.
              Also, go broke a while.

No money and no contacts = forced clean.

Sux, but it works.
              Now I have $ and no contacts, dam, where'd they disappear to.

Comment

I needed a little help with smoking cigs. I went on the patch for 1 week and never looked back at them. Pot was simple. But, apparently, there can be a little bit of depression associated with the "Withdrawl" with some people. So, I would suggest staying away from other people who smoke pot for a couple of days and just kick back at home and play. Throw your shit down the toilet, break your bong, and throw your papers and pipes away.

-Nate
                Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Will power based on loose reasons to do it are a bad combination.
                  I've found that your will to beat a hard habit must be combined with a traumatic experience. You think not, that we are human a full grown adults and we know betterbut some people need that kick in the ass.

Still some people not kearn. My neighbor was caught twice on DUI, lost his license to drive for a year. This severely hampered his ability to make a living and be free like he wanted to be and still the dumb fuck got on a car, skunk drunk, the night of the Super Bowl and wanted to drive four miles away to get more beer from 7Eleven.
                  What would it take? killing someone? an entire family on the way back from Church?

In your case what would it take? loosing your job? spending time in the pokey? Maybe I spend too much time thinking of crap. But I always think of the repercusions my action would bring if I do something I knew was bodering on legal.

For a smoker... what would it take? since your father/mother/sister or brother being away alive by lung cancer?

The crap goes on and on. Invest your time, money and energy on something productive.
                  Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Pot should be a lot easier than ciggs. I quit smoking cold turkey when my first son was born. I tried to quit numerous times before that but never had the motivation to stick with it.

I would think with the cost of weed that the money factor alone could be good motivation. I smoked plenty of weed in my day but I never found it very addicting. I did however found myself being a bit more on edge when I no longer had a "drive home joint" to ease stress from the day. Exercise will reduce stress too and is much better for your health than pot.

Its all mental, just remain positive, believe you CAN quit (or cut down) and you will...
                    Last edited by Shawn Lutz; 11-20-2006, 01:00 PM.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Pot was easy for me. Back in the mid 80's I pretty much burned myself out and I started getting more paranoid than High, so I just dropped it. I still do it here and there on rare ocassions like this Summer in Jamaica. When in Rome..........

Cigs are gonna be the tough one.

Comment

As an ex ummm "smoker", what I will say is that once you have quit and been off for a few months, you will experience a strange sort of clarity in thinking that will make you very happy.

I played guitar for a long time while smoking and was never able to get past the sabbath school of playing, I was good at it, just not a shredder. A lot of the really complex stuff just seemed totally out of reach. Why, even reading stuff in college was hard as I'd lose focus and have to go back a lot and re-read stuff and have a hard time grasping deep concepts quickly.

About 6 months after I quit, suddenly, I was comprehending complex concepts and musical things MUCH more clearly. I was suddenly able to grasp serious guitar leads and duplicate them and read an understand complex stuff much quicker. It was like magic, like a door opened. Suddenly I was playing stuff I could never pay before. It just hit me.

I stopped around Desert Storm in 90 when my son was born. I wanted to be better for him, and have more money to spend. It was stop and never look back. I did just that.

Wanting to quit it, is a good sign, that is the first quality step. You have to WANT to quit in your head. Just gotta do it, and surround yourself with people that aren't in that circle. It will take some time, but unlike cigs or coke, once youre out a bit, it will be easier and easier to stay out. I never get urges.

Good luck man. You can do this.

Comment

Get married and have 3 kids. Add that to a regular 9 to 5, in addition to my parts biz at night, I have to be on my toes at all waking hours!

Seriously - over-scheduling yourself and throwing in some exercise to take off the edge at the end of the day worked for me...
                          Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

It's more of a mental habit from my experience. Just choose to do something else during that time you used to spend smoking the herb. For example, pick up the guitar and learn a new scale each time you feel the urge.

Not trick except plain suffering is going to actually do it.

Comment

Don't listen to me dude. Just check out my handle!
                              "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Working...
                              X