No announcement yet.

Just ranting...had to fire our drummer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ranting...had to fire our drummer.

Why are GOOD musicians hard to find? I don't mean super good, I mean able to hold a beat and play the song the same way twice? Willing to practice on their own time to get better...am I asking to much?
    This drummer we've had...he's a good kid, but just not meant to be a drummer apparently. A couple of weeks ago we played a show, and he screwed it up BAD!! It was a terrible show, I couldn't wait to get off the stage. After that show, we had a talk. We told him to get his head out of his ass or else. We played a show last Thursday..he did better. All during this though, he made no move to practice on his own..his drums are kept here in our practice space, and he has 24-7 access to them. We have written 3 new songs MUCH heavier/faster that the other stuff, he can't drum to them. Just can't...so that was an issue also. He told us to write slower stuff...hmm.
    But last night we play..at the same place where he screwed up so bad..maybe it's the place..who knows.
    Didn't screw it up as bad as the first time..but still made a mess of things. One time he in the MIDDLE of a song..he switched to a different song..talk about losing all of us. Next time he counts in the song..then doesn't play..we just take right off without him. Another song, he stops in the middle because he realized he was playing the chorus wrong. Right after we were done, me and the other guitarist just told him to pack his stuff in his car..he was done. Being in a band sucks some days.
    Ok, thanks for reading..I'm done!!

2 words: drum machine

Hope the photog gets canned too!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

One word Jeri..

Fuggum..

I did the same thing as soon as we made that demo and discovered how shitty his meter was..when he couldn't come close to a click..not even near close..I spent 8 hours laying that shit down to a click for absolutely nothing..that cement headed, fucktard..

I'm better off with my kid..

Jeri, you prolly love to Jam with Vinny..John jammed with him yesterday for a little..sounded good.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Sorry about that Jeri, first thing to have a good metal band is having a good drummer IMO, so that's a movement in the right direction. Good luck finding another!
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64
        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Hope the photog gets canned too!
          yeah, that last pic sure was foggy!
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Having a good drummer is a mixed blessing. You'd think that in a metropolitan area the size of Minneapolis/St. Paul, there would be plenty of metal drummers...but counting Under Eden, our drummer is actively playing in *4* bands. Gigs every weekend, narrowly avoiding recording schedule conflicts, and his job (drum sales at GC) all equal a lot of frustration for all parties involved.

But in your case, it's for the best that you "set him free" if he couldn't handle the new songs. A local band here that we're good friends with ended up parting ways with their drummer and bassist a year ago, for much the same reason. Everyone needs to be on the same page. If you have access to a drum machine, use that for some basic demo recordings, and if you have the luxury of auditioning drummers, telling them "learn this" will be a great way of weeding out the hacks.
            sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear that Jeri, y'all have sure gone through the mill trying to get and keep players, but if he couldn't step up his game good riddance. Best of luck getting a good replacement, and make sure he knows that rule one is, NEVER STOP midsong in a live performance!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I actually quit my band for the same reason. Drummers are VERY important. If you are playing rock/metal, you need a guy that can keep time, hits hard, and keeps things interesting with fills and what not.

I get pissed about the lack of motivation from other band members as well. I put alot of time into the guitar and get frustrated when the others don't do the same. I hate to be cynical, but I honestly feel finding other musicians that play for the love of it and have their shit together are few in far between. I just as happy playing in my guitar room as when I'm on stage.

Good luck in your search.

Comment

You will find a good drummer. Don't give up.

Comment

hmm...i'm sorry you're having troubles.

here's the only bit of advice i'll give ya. if you are basically happy having someone in the band then play songs within their limits. i've missed out on good players, good music, and good times because i had it my head that because someone couldn't play or sing stuff i wanted to do that they had to go. once i got over that i had way more success and happiness.

i'm not saying you shouldn't have fired this dude - just saying that you need to figure out what you truly value in the musicians you play with.

with my recent endeavors it's gone well for me to accept this as a reality. one band i'm doing is all covers. there is no way you will find a singer that can sing it all. so you pick songs the singer can do. same for the drums, bass, keys, and the guitar. that's the way not to suck.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

On one hand, Tim's got a point, but on the other hand, I've been in the band where I was only allowed to play what "everyone else" knew, which was Glam and Hair.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah we'll find someone. Tim does have a good point, in this case though, the kid didn't really "fit in". He prefers music in an alternative vein, and kept comparing us to Nirvana and Pearl Jam..so maybe he just wanted to be in a band, but his heart wasn't in it. We had a drummer leave the band a long time ago because the music wasn't heavy enough..I'm trying to track him down..cause I think he'll like the changes we've made. Thanks again for everything.

Comment

Jeri, I feel your pain. Tim is right in a way, as Newc pointed out. However, not having a drummer able to perform up to the band's level can be frustrating, as it is for any other spot whether guitar, bass or vocals.

In my last band the weak links were the singer and the drummer. Even worse, they are my friends. Good friends. When we first got together we killed. We only played covers, but were having fun.

One time, when we first started out, we warmed up for a local well known Bon Jovi tribute, Slippery When Wet. They stood on the balcony watching us. We finished up and closed with Ace of Spades. The singer from the tribute band says out loud, "How the fuck are we supposed to follow that?"

We felt good, no great. But as time went on the drummer practiced less and less and the singer just started screaming instead of singing and we started to get a bad rep. I could see this and instead of hurting my friend's feelings I gave my notice and said that it was me who was tired of playing current covers. We were playing more current than classic hard rock. I really hate most of the new stuff, so it was convincing.

The band split up, and it was on me. I'd rather it be this way than hurting my friends.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Yeah that sucks...What can I say...? Drummers! ;D

In times where I was playing in a band...
                            There was no drinking so that you couldn`t play...
                            But if one of the guys was drunk we kicked him out...
                            Cause one guy can fuck the whole show up and it sucks..
                            But it sucks even more if you fuck up a show and the
                            club/bar manager says you won`t get any money...
                            After the show you can drink as much as you want
                            but don`t get drunk before the show cause that is just
                            unprofessional and lame
                            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                              Thanks guys. Yeah we'll find someone. Tim does have a good point, in this case though, the kid didn't really "fit in". He prefers music in an alternative vein, and kept comparing us to Nirvana and Pearl Jam..so maybe he just wanted to be in a band, but his heart wasn't in it. We had a drummer leave the band a long time ago because the music wasn't heavy enough..I'm trying to track him down..cause I think he'll like the changes we've made. Thanks again for everything.
                              Oh, if the dude is comparing you to Nirvana then the little bastard should have been fired on the spot for that alone. Nirvana sucks.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X